What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

horrie hastings

First Grade
If old Sydney based Bears fans couldn't muster the effort to get to Allianz once a year then it wouldn't be worth taking a game out of Adelaide IMO.

I'm sure the old Bears fan would make the effort to get to Allianz, its the Manly fans that wouldn't make the effort. Honestly though if there is going to be a Bears vs Manly clash it has to be at North Sydney Oval.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm sure the old Bears fan would make the effort to get to Allianz, its the Manly fans that wouldn't make the effort. Honestly though if there is going to be a Bears vs Manly clash it has to be at North Sydney Oval.

For the first year I'd agree as a nod to history, after that though aiming for 30k+ at Allianz would be good IMO. Is NSO still up to NRL standards? Not knocking it, I honestly don't know.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Not sure how good NSO is corporate facility wise these days but spectator wise it would be fine for a one off game, plenty of undercover seating plus a hill. I reckon even corporate facility wise it would be better than Leichhardt oval which is still hosting games and I'm not knocking Leichhardt oval either because I think it is one of the best grounds to watch football at, its just some of the facilities are pretty out dated.

jim_57

Staff member
Not sure how good NSO is corporate facility wise these days but spectator wise it would be fine for a one off game, plenty of undercover seating plus a hill. I reckon even corporate facility wise it would be better than Leichhardt oval which is still hosting games and I'm not knocking Leichhardt oval either because I think it is one of the best grounds to watch football at, its just some of the facilities are pretty out dated.

If NSO up to it I guess it would be the clubs decision, nod to history or going for a big event crowd.

jim_57

Staff member
Hypothetically an Adelaide Bears bid has a lot of merit, I hadn't really thought much of it and just floated the idea. The more I think about it though it's hard to find a major downside.

• It gives NRL another 1million+ market team.
  • It would help having an established brand and foundations behind it setting up in Adelaide.
  • Strong links to North Sydney to give old fans a team to get behind and their colours back in the NRL. Easy for Sydney based fans to attend away games and watch every game on TV now.
  • Colours are a decent match for SA state colours.
  • Bears is suprisingly a relatable brand locally. Creating a link isn't impossible if they go with the Panda angle. It isn't much but it is more relatable than Broncos to Brisbane, Panthers to Penrith etc. Oppurtunity for Adelaide Pandas NSW Cup ot Under 20's side is also there ;)
  • Covering 2 markets with Adelaide and North Sydney without having to split home games has to be a major advantage that a new identity bid couldn't bring.
Worth a look if I was in the Bear's shoes. Will probably never happen which is a shame, because I don't see the Bears getting back in with a Central Coast bid. At least the Gold Coast bid shows they are open to other options.

jim_57

Staff member
Just what the NRL more teams with Sydney heritage

If that heritage can add 1000+ members, a 2nd tier link and a strong away follwing I see no reason not to embrace it. NRL would obviously need to put guarentees in place to stop them moving more games back to Sydney after a couple of years.

Stallion

First Grade
Just what the NRL more teams with Sydney heritage

? Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Are you aware the 'heritage' factor is gold as far as market advantage, generational support and overall popularity of the code is concerned? Amazing lack of common sense! The well established Sydney club brands are an asset to the NRL! You just don't wipe things like that and expect someone to cling onto the sport do you? Incredible!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Add 1000+ members from the Sydney heritage side of it. Way to misrepresent my quote.

That would be less than 5% of the min membership you’d be hoping for. Better Adelaide gets its own brand and relevance and doesn’t have to put up with the likes of Kent and RothField calling for the bears to move back to NS every time things get tough in Adelaide.

jim_57

Staff member
That would be less than 5% of the min membership you’d be hoping for. Better Adelaide gets its own brand and relevance and doesn’t have to put up with the likes of Kent and RothField calling for the bears to move back to NS every time things get tough in Adelaide.

Maybe, it's a 50/50 one. IMO though it would be the best bet the Bears have, before Adelaide create a new identity.

And guarentees would have to be made so that uprooting back to North Sydney isn't even an option.

Stallion

First Grade

Don't like your idea as you are minimising the market appeal of such a club. But whilst it urks you to see Sydney centric populist support continue, I have a name for the 'independent ' style Adelaide you aspire to: Adelaide Dingos. Very Australian and unique.

The North Sydney Bears and a Western Australian consortium are exploring the prospect of joining forces to create a "Western Bears" franchise seeking inclusion in an expanded NRL competition.

Just a day after new ARLC chairman Peter Beattie declared rugby league must "expand or die", Fairfax Media can reveal former Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy and North Sydney Bears chairman Perry Lopez have held a series of secret talks about a potential combined bid. While the negotiations are still in their infancy, both parties remain open to the prospect of working together to provide a compelling case for an NRL licenses.
  • "We've spoken to potential Perth bidders and we think they would be a great fit," Lopez said.
    1519290254838.jpg

The North Sydney Bears could return to the NRL in a new guise.
    "The model is the same, it doesn't matter what city it's in. Perth is crying out for rugby league, they've got an NRL double-header and a State of Origin game coming up.

"It's definitely on the horizon. We think the opportunity to play one or two games at North Sydney Oval or Central Coast Stadium are still there. At the end of the day we want our fans to be able to touch our brand at an NRL level and they could do that there.
    1519290254838.jpg

Go west: Mark Geyer playing for the Western Reds in the days of Super League.
    "There's a major opportunity with corporates in Perth and we know they want to be part of the NRL as a national brand. The time is approaching and this could work.

"The Gold Coast didn't work for us for various reasons, but we think Perth could be a good opportunity."

The demise of the Western Force has left players and spectators without a professional rugby or league team to follow or aspire to. An NRL team in Perth would provide the NRL a truly national footprint and also be a boost for broadcasters, who would have a new timeslot for games because of the time difference.

The governing body hasn't added any teams since the Titans were introduced in 2007, while several were culled – including the Reds – after the Super League war. Beattie stressed that any expansion wouldn't come at the expense of existing clubs.

"The marketplace is ready for another code to step in after the departure of the Force," Lopez said.

"We're ready because we have supportive people on the eastern seaboard and 250,000 Bears fans that research tells us are ready to get on board."

Puddy, who predicted it would cost about $20 million to form a club from scratch, said Western Australia was capable of housing an NRL club regardless of North Sydney's involvement.

"It's important to recognise that the Perth Reds and Western Reds were not unsuccessful," Puddy said.

"They didn't fold because they were broke, they were the pawns in a bitter war with Super League. Twenty years ago we averaged 14,500 people to a game when the population in Perth was 1.2 million. Today it's closer to 3 million.

"The city is crying out for rugby league and you can't give it to them by taking a game here and there.

"It's good that Peter Beattie is giving that direction but now we need to know how and when it will happen. The [Perth] consortium that's waiting for some direction from the league has been there for some time, we just need to resurrect it. Getting money out of Perth is the easy bit."

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-lea...cense-in-an-expanded-nrl-20180222-h0wi7h.html

jim_57

Staff member
The North Sydney Bears and a Western Australian consortium are exploring the prospect of joining forces to create a "Western Bears" franchise seeking inclusion in an expanded NRL competition.

Just a day after new ARLC chairman Peter Beattie declared rugby league must "expand or die", Fairfax Media can reveal former Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy and North Sydney Bears chairman Perry Lopez have held a series of secret talks about a potential combined bid. While the negotiations are still in their infancy, both parties remain open to the prospect of working together to provide a compelling case for an NRL licenses.
  • "We've spoken to potential Perth bidders and we think they would be a great fit," Lopez said.
    1519290254838.jpg

The North Sydney Bears could return to the NRL in a new guise.
    "The model is the same, it doesn't matter what city it's in. Perth is crying out for rugby league, they've got an NRL double-header and a State of Origin game coming up.

"It's definitely on the horizon. We think the opportunity to play one or two games at North Sydney Oval or Central Coast Stadium are still there. At the end of the day we want our fans to be able to touch our brand at an NRL level and they could do that there.
    1519290254838.jpg

Go west: Mark Geyer playing for the Western Reds in the days of Super League.
    "There's a major opportunity with corporates in Perth and we know they want to be part of the NRL as a national brand. The time is approaching and this could work.

"The Gold Coast didn't work for us for various reasons, but we think Perth could be a good opportunity."

The demise of the Western Force has left players and spectators without a professional rugby or league team to follow or aspire to. An NRL team in Perth would provide the NRL a truly national footprint and also be a boost for broadcasters, who would have a new timeslot for games because of the time difference.

The governing body hasn't added any teams since the Titans were introduced in 2007, while several were culled – including the Reds – after the Super League war. Beattie stressed that any expansion wouldn't come at the expense of existing clubs.

"The marketplace is ready for another code to step in after the departure of the Force," Lopez said.

"We're ready because we have supportive people on the eastern seaboard and 250,000 Bears fans that research tells us are ready to get on board."

Puddy, who predicted it would cost about $20 million to form a club from scratch, said Western Australia was capable of housing an NRL club regardless of North Sydney's involvement.

"It's important to recognise that the Perth Reds and Western Reds were not unsuccessful," Puddy said.

"They didn't fold because they were broke, they were the pawns in a bitter war with Super League. Twenty years ago we averaged 14,500 people to a game when the population in Perth was 1.2 million. Today it's closer to 3 million.

"The city is crying out for rugby league and you can't give it to them by taking a game here and there.

"It's good that Peter Beattie is giving that direction but now we need to know how and when it will happen. The [Perth] consortium that's waiting for some direction from the league has been there for some time, we just need to resurrect it. Getting money out of Perth is the easy bit."

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-lea...cense-in-an-expanded-nrl-20180222-h0wi7h.html

So they are open to the idea of moving, Adelaide would still be their ideal choice IMO. We could seriously look at 4 teams to wrap NRL expansion for a good 20 years. Brisbane 2, NZ2, Adelaide & Perth.

Has anyone heard of this "consortium" before?

Diesel

Referee
Is there a potential Western/Perth Reds bid, or was the article linking former Reds chairman Laurie Puddy with the Bears?

With the Pirates established and the article hinting there are other potential bidders, this could be every interesting for WA.

I wonder if the Western Force guy would be interested in a NRL licence if his pipe dream rugby comp falls flat?

King hit

Coach
As much as I would like to see the Bears re admitted, Western Australia is not the way to go. They are very western centric there and i don't believe an east coast team coming in ahead of a local team with a local identity will be the best way to engage the public.