What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gunco

T.S Quint

Coach
Nah surely it was Bevan French, with a whopping eleven metres and a try.

It was French's defence that impressed me most in Sunday's game. Was crazy good under the high ball as well. Scored a pretty difficult try.

1 run for 11 metres isn't much chop, but he was heavily involved in the game in other areas.

eel01s

Bench
It was French's defence that impressed me most in Sunday's game. Was crazy good under the high ball as well. Scored a pretty difficult try.

1 run for 11 metres isn't much chop, but he was heavily involved in the game in other areas.
Exactly. With that contribution in defence and being safe under the high ball I wouldn't care if he didn't make any metres.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Anyone can top LBAs in a given game. It's a high impact stat that is rare enough that you need to look at it in a sample size of sufficient granularity.

I'm sure Nightingale is nowhere near leading his team in that statistic.
If you look at each team's LBA count and their position on the ladder it's clear that LBAs are an predictor of success, although certainly not a guarantee.

Out of the 16 clubs, 11 of those have a similar position on the ladder and their position in the LBA counts (within two spots either way). However, 5 clubs have a discrepancy of three or more positions comparing the ladder and LBA counts, including the Dragons (3rd for LBAs), Raiders (6th for LBAs), Rabbits (7th for LBAs), Sharks (8th for LBAs) and Cowboys (13th for LBAs).

Last edited:
That could mean two different things for both sets of teams. The Rabbitohs, for example, might have terrible support play or lack speed, both of which mean they can't finish off what they start. The Cowboys, on the other hand, might score more of their points from inside the 10m, so no LBAs needed, or make their breaks via 1-on-1 pieces that don't require assists.

84 Baby

Referee
If you look at each team's LBA count and their position on the ladder it's clear that LBAs are an predictor of success, although certainly not a guarantee.

Out of the 16 clubs, 11 of those have a similar position on the ladder and their position in the LBA counts (within two spots either way). However, 5 clubs have a discrepancy of three or more positions comparing the ladder and LBA counts, including the Dragons (3rd for LBAs), Raiders (6th for LBAs), Rabbits (7th for LBAs), Sharks (8th for LBAs) and Cowboys (13th for LBAs).
Cows don't surprise given that they have missed JT for large amount of games, and given ladder position and style of play Sharks seem about right, they have a large pack and tend to play through the middle so generally less need for LBAs. But Raiders and Souffs play similarly to Sharks (although Raiders outside backs are relatively more involved) so their positions on ladder and LBA rank are strange. If they were up with Sharks I'd understand, more LBAs equals more wins. f**ked if I know how Drags are 3rd though

Happy MEel

First Grade
You both raise good points and further point to the fact that LBAs aren't a guarantee of success.

Following on from that we shouldn't be picking French at fullback, purely because he has more LBAs than Guth.

Noise

Coach
That could mean two different things for both sets of teams. The Rabbitohs, for example, might have terrible support play or lack speed, both of which mean they can't finish off what they start. The Cowboys, on the other hand, might score more of their points from inside the 10m, so no LBAs needed, or make their breaks via 1-on-1 pieces that don't require assists.

I'm pretty sure Line Breaks and LBAs are still awarded inside the 10m zone

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You both raise good points and further point to the fact that LBAs aren't a guarantee of success.

Following on from that we shouldn't be picking French at fullback, purely because he has more LBAs than Guth.
Nobody said or even implied that LBAs are a requirement for success of either a club or a player. What they are is the best indicator of playmaking ability.

Nor did anyone say that a player should be picked at fullback or any other position purely on his playmaking ability. But where people are comparing two fullbacks it is reasonable to compare them as playmakers. It is an important part of fullback play.

Noise

Coach
But you can crash over for a try without breaking the line.

Yes I know this. Tries from kicks aren't line breaks either. Anyway I was responding to the quote "might score more of their points from inside the 10m, so no LBAs needed"

LBAs are still often needed inside 10m

Djay

Juniors
In our game it was Nightingale. It's clear as day he was the best player on the field due to his vastly superior LBAs.

I agree, LBA's out do tries for example, Nightingale was well on top of Gutho who scored 2 tries, hence why his team won.............

Djay

Juniors
What a f**king stupid statement. Wrong on so many levels.
Well you've been banging on since Sunday that Bevan has more LBA's and is more useful at it so he should stay at fullback. No, just no. Every game Gutho has played at the back we have looked far superior, and forget about French making 11 metres, he was brilliant under the high ball and defensively was awesome. He doesn't need to make 100 metres plus every week for us to be successful, Gutho at fullback right now works, LBA's or no LBA's his a threat all game long.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well you've been banging on since Sunday that Bevan has more LBA's and is more useful at it so he should stay at fullback.
No I said he shouldn't play wing. His playmaking is wasted there.

If he needs to work on his fitness and confidence with his knee he can do it in reserve grade. We have better wingers coming back from injury.
No, just no.
That's right.
Every game Gutho has played at the back we have looked far superior, and forget about French making 11 metres, he was brilliant under the high ball and defensively was awesome. He doesn't need to make 100 metres plus every week for us to be successful, Gutho at fullback right now works, LBA's or no LBA's his a threat all game long.
Blah blah blah irrelevant. My comments about French have nothing to do with Gutherson.

84 Baby

Referee
But really I think we can all agree that both French and Gunco are better fullbacks than wingers.
Which means the sensible thing to do is rediscuss the multi fullback formation

Last edited: