What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame nominations

gUt

Coach
Personal shortlist:

Cliff Lyons, Danny Buderus, Gorden Tallis, Greg Alexander, Kevin Walters, Michael O’Connor, Paul Harragon, Petero Civoniceva, Ricky Stuart, Royce Simmons, Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones, Steve Menzies, Steve Renouf

Cliff Lyons, Gorden Tallis, Greg Alexander, Paul Harragon, Steve Menzies, Steve Renouf

would be my 6

Also completely losing his shit at Penrith in the first round of 2003 and beating the snot out of Ben Ross. He would get 12 weeks for it now, but he got 10 minutes (and Ross did as well).

Just read this. It was completely premeditated:

The real reason Brisbane great Gorden Tallis bashed Penrith prop Ben Ross in 2003

It was one of the most famous punch-ups in recent NRL history.

Gorden Tallis versus Ben Ross.

The young buck and the old bull and it had the tick of approval from the super coach himself.

Lifting the lid on what led to his classic stink with a young Ross in his second season in the NRL, Tallis revealed to the Triple M Grill Team that he went into the 2003 season with fighting on his mind.

Battling injury and with his body slowing down, the veteran enforcer believed his rivals no longer feared him like they once did.

With his career coming to an end, the backrower hatched a plan to send a reminder to his opposition that he wants a player to be messed with.

The man affectionately known as 'the raging bull' recalled the events leading up to that faithful day.

"I was going through the pre-season. I had neck surgery so I wasn't training anywhere near (what I should), I was doing about 60 per cent of the sessions," Tallis explains.

"A lot of people were getting a bit lippy. I wasn't playing and they were starting to sledge a little bit and I'm lying on my back against Penrith and I remember in the pre-season saying; 'Wayne I might have to clip a bloke this year.

"He said 'what?' I said 'I might have to fight a bloke.' He said 'why is that?', because they're all starting to put a bit of s**t on me and I don't like it.

"If I give one a fight, then everyone has to leave me alone and let me ride off into the sunset."

That's when Tallis received the blessing of Wayne Bennett, although the master coach had one condition.

"He goes 'cool. Make it in the early rounds and make sure he's a big bloke'. I said 'sweet, no problem'," Tallis continued.

"So I'm lying on my back in round one against Penrith. It was a 37 degree day. A really hot day and this young kid by the name of Ben Ross came on and he kept pushing my head down and I said 'lay off the food'."

Ross has joined the Panthers that year after making his first grade debut for St George-Illawarra in 2002.

A young forward eager to make his name, Ross had been at Tallis since he entered the field and that's when the former Queensland Origin skipper saw red.

While there was no premeditated plan to target the rookie prop, Ross was a marked man.
"I was giving it to him and he was giving it to me and then he grabbed me around the neck," Tallis said.

"I said 'do that one more time mate and that's it'. So he just thought he'd do it one more time and then I grabbed him. If you watch the footage, he was trying to get away for about a minute and I said 'hey mate, we're gonna fight. Whether you like it or not, we're going to fight so as soon as you throw a punch I'm throwing one back'. That was it and then I ran off.

"No one said anything for the next 25 rounds. They were like church mouses. Sometimes it does work."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11920207

This also shows that Bennett condones premeditated thuggery. I found this when googling the Tallis wants to cancel Origin thing. Was that really 2005, cos they lost 3 in a row? I thought he wanted to cancel Origin before the dead rubber of 2000 when they got smashed by 50 odd. Tallis and the rest of the maroon sooks went in with a sore-loser attitude and got what they deserved with a hand grenade added for good measure.

My 6:

Ricky Stuart - Changed the game like no other player in history.
Stacey Jones - NZ's greatest ever player who outplayed A. Johns and A. Langer on various occasions.
Ruben Wiki - The greatest player to ever master 3 positions - centre, 2nd row and prop.
Mark Graham - Prototype back-rower for what we see now. Much better than Tallis.
Cliff Lyons - Greatest ball player of all time.
Paul Harrogan - Inspirational leader and a cornerstone of that NSW origin pack which turned the tide. Also one of the only prop captains I'd seen up until that point in time.

Some due for the older players.

Wally O'Connell was a five eight. A Roosters junior who played for Easternb Suburnbs (as they were then known) from 1942 to 1948 and then for Manly from 1951 to 1952. Captain-coached in Wollongong in 1949, but sat out the 1950 NSWRL season due to a dispute over his residential qualification between Easts and Manly. Got called up to represent NSW in 1948 following an injury withdrawal and was that good went on to captain Australia in 5 tests against Great Britain that year. Lost his Australian position due to his sit out in 1950. Was small; in size (think Geoff Toovey size) but was a great tackler and a silky runner of the ball

Elwyn Walters was a hooker. Born in Tweed Heads, but came to first grade at South Sydney in 1967 where he played first grade with them until the end of 1973. helped Souths win Premierships in 1967,1968 and 1970. Whilst at Souths was sometimes moved to play prop to accommodate George Piggins in the side. In 1974 moved to Eastern Suburbs where he played from 1974 to 1977 helping the Roosters win back to back Premierships in 1974 and 1975. Not a flashy player but a great ball winner back in the days of contested scrums. Played 20 tests from Australia between 1969 and 1974. Elwun was considered the "missing piece in the puzzle" for the Roosters in 1974, as in 1972 and 1973 they had good teams but could not win scrums due to the lack of a good hooker.

Perth Tiger

Bench
One of the older timers will be included (otherwise why bother with them)

At least one of the Kiwis should be included.

Then it is probably down to whoever the judging panel grew up watching/supporting

typicalfan

Coach
Cliffy and Beaver should take half a spot each. Not sure if either of them would have been as great a player without the other.
Lethal combo. One of the best I've seen.
Lyons was great before Menzies came into grade and Menzies was great after Lyons moved on. So yes they were great individually.

typicalfan

Coach
One of the older timers will be included (otherwise why bother with them)

At least one of the Kiwis should be included.

Then it is probably down to whoever the judging panel grew up watching/supporting
Jones is a class below Sticky who was great at all levels and Brandy who was very good at all levels and they won’t pick 3 halfbacks

Perth Tiger

Bench
No mention of Tim Brasher?

that was one name I was looking forward too and was disappointed that he wasn't included.

It is clear that the judging panel were going themes with the team groupings (and Kiwi grouping).

They also clearly favoured finals appearances over test/Origins and since Brasher went from a shit Tigers team to a Shit Souths team to a shit cowboys team, that will always be held against him.

King hit

Coach
that was one name I was looking forward too and was disappointed that he wasn't included.

It is clear that the judging panel were going themes with the team groupings (and Kiwi grouping).

They also clearly favoured finals appearances over test/Origins and since Brasher went from a shit Tigers team to a Shit Souths team to a shit cowboys team, that will always be held against him.

It's truly unbelievable that Timmy Brasher only played in 4 finals games across a career that spanned 14 seasons (missing 1 through injury). Really unfortunate that he had to play in such shithouse teams and was a moment away from being a premiership winner before the Raiders snatched it.

Love watching his Origin games. He is one of the best fullbacks/players that we have ever had.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Based who I have seen.
Cliff Lyons, Danny Buderus, Greg Alexander, Ricky Stuart, Stacey Jones, Steve Menzies,

What happens the 19 that miss out? do they get the chance to go in next year?
Some worthy names that are going to miss out.

In terms of the Hall of Fame, I can't say as the NRL have taken down much of the stuff they had up on their site for when they announced its re-establishment. Only one I can remember is you had to be retired for 5 years before you could be considered for the Hall of Fame.

However, as they have made a big deal out of patterning it after the NFL and NBA Hall of Fame, it is likely the un-successful candidates could be re-considered the following year and future years. I mean in the NFL there have been players who were considered 3, 4, 5 times (or more) before they were voted into the Hall of Fame.

Only restrictions I'm aware of pertain to attaining Immortal Status. To be eligible you must first be in the Hall of Fame. Secondly you can only be considered for it a maximum of three time. If you don't get voted in on one of those three occasions you cannot ever be considered again.

Das Gupta

Juniors
In terms of the Hall of Fame, I can't say as the NRL have taken down much of the stuff they had up on their site for when they announced its re-establishment. Only one I can remember is you had to be retired for 5 years before you could be considered for the Hall of Fame.

However, as they have made a big deal out of patterning it after the NFL and NBA Hall of Fame, it is likely the un-successful candidates could be re-considered the following year and future years. I mean in the NFL there have been players who were considered 3, 4, 5 times (or more) before they were voted into the Hall of Fame.

Only restrictions I'm aware of pertain to attaining Immortal Status. To be eligible you must first be in the Hall of Fame. Secondly you can only be considered for it a maximum of three time. If you don't get voted in on one of those three occasions you cannot ever be considered again.

I understand putting the same names up for the immortals, you don't want that. You need restrictions there.
There some good players in for the hall of fame that will miss out this time around. It would be good if a few of them got nominated again.

avocado

Juniors
I'm not a fan of the whole thing. Everyone will have a complaint, "how the hell did _______ get picked when _________ missed out?"

No Steve Ella? No Les Boyd? No Max Krilich? No Brett Mullins? No Andrew Ettinghausen?
I'd put each of these ahead of at least one of he nominees.

Latest posts