What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harsh or painfully true?

mongoose

Coach
I want to see a team in Perth and eventually Adelaide but the painful truth is that if these were such important markets the NRL would have already invested the necessary time and money there. The NRL secured its billion dollar TV deal without teams in these 2 capitals. There is a reason so many international music acts skip Perth and Adelaide - not worth the time and money.

The A-league wouldn't lose anything if it deserted Perth and Adelaide and added two new teams somewhere in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. The only reason Perth is considered in expansion is because of its projected population growth in the next 10-20 years. But a city of 1.6 million who are 4-5 hours flight away from Sydney and are AFL mad is not seen as a must have market for the NRL.

I would be surprised if a team is ever put in Adelaide again to be honest. League would need to become much bigger in Melbourne first for that to happen IMO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
There is no sport in the world that has nine top flight clubs in one city where they are all fully sustAinable. Why RL thinks it can do it is beyond me.

i just looked at the AFL site and they have 9 clubs in Melboring

oikee

Juniors
I think the Titans will be ok as long as they get some polynesian lads into their team. Their support areas have large tracts of poly and kiwi supporters.
KBW, both QRL and NSW are all under the NRL banner. So whatever the QRL does has to be sanctioned by the Commission and Dave Smith.
Dave Smith has a great understanding of these markets, he did the roadtrip.

The only shite i made up was the guess about banking 70 mil this year.
Lets see if that is true come february in the full year financial report.

Here is how much Sky pay for the NZ pay tv rights.
The Warriors sell more replica jerseys than any other club and Sky pays around $16m a year to the NRL in broadcasting fees.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I continue to look at soccer as a model to grow the game at international level

- dedicated representative weekends
- regular regional tournaments
- regular world cups

They are not afraid to take their product out of traditional markets

Add
- playing development tournaments
- strict national qualification guidelines with the most important being the need to sit out 2 years before changing alegances

But in RL has a few key things
- the international tours
- SOO
- Aboriginal All Star team
- Maori team

Then the one major difference better rugby codes and soccer is the nature of team fitness having a huge baring on the match result

Because of this like cricket you can only play teams of similar ability else it becomes a win to the fitter team in the final 20 min

Perth Red

Post Whore
I want to see a team in Perth and eventually Adelaide but the painful truth is that if these were such important markets the NRL would have already invested the necessary time and money there. The NRL secured its billion dollar TV deal without teams in these 2 capitals. There is a reason so many international music acts skip Perth and Adelaide - not worth the time and money.

The A-league wouldn't lose anything if it deserted Perth and Adelaide and added two new teams somewhere in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. The only reason Perth is considered in expansion is because of its projected population growth in the next 10-20 years. But a city of 1.6 million who are 4-5 hours flight away from Sydney and are AFL mad is not seen as a must have market for the NRL.

I would be surprised if a team is ever put in Adelaide again to be honest. League would need to become much bigger in Melbourne first for that to happen IMO.

Every professional code in the country has a club in perth, EXCEPT NRL! RL after one hundred years still has a tiny reach due to the myopic administration of the game. Brilliant product, terrible management has been RL's reality for decades.

Other codes grow for the future, despite the pain of that growth in the present. You think RU needed the game to grow in Argentina or Italy? You think nFL needed a fanbase in Europe? You think afl needs to be on the Gold Coast?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
i just looked at the AFL site and they have 9 clubs in Melboring

I said sustainable clubs. some melbourne clubs are surviving by the skin of their teeth despite being heavily subsidised by the other afl clubs.

St kilda, nth melbourne, melbourne and Western Bulldogs would all be screwed without the ARL's new equalisation plan.

5-6 clubs is the reality of what any big city can host successfully, IMO.

Manly, st's, wests, sharks, penrith are all barely getting by at the moment. Sharks have some hope with flogging off their assets, wests have hope of a new owner takes over the balmain shares, manly look screwed and penrith have some hope IF they can get locals to follow them. Not sure where St's problems lie.

Western_Eel

Juniors
The problem is that more supporters will complain about players going to other codes then not having new teams, and while this is the case it will never grow to its full potential,

RL should of expanded in the 70's and 80's, it should be the administration of that era that you should be blaming not our current one because our current admin are forced to play it safe, unfortunately

juanfarkall

Coach
The problem is that more supporters will complain about players going to other codes then not having new teams, and while this is the case it will never grow to its full potential,

RL should of expanded in the 70's and 80's, it should be the administration of that era that you should be blaming not our current one because our current admin are forced to play it safe, unfortunately[/QUOTE]

5 new teams in the 80's.

russ13

First Grade
There is no sport in the world that has nine top flight clubs in one city where they are all fully sustAinable...

There's about a dozen EPL sides in London isn't there?

There would be also more that number in 2nd & 3rd Division Soccer (fully professional) & a couple of union clubs & one super league club.

There are about 50 countries in the world that have bigger populations than Australia yet the NRL is about the 15th biggest in crowd numbers. So the NRL must be doing something right.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At the end of the day, that's all it is. Your opinion. Nothing more.

True but it is based around the fact no sport has more, anywhere in the world, in any sport! Why Australia thinks it can do it in melbourne and Sydney I've no idea, especially as the state of some clubs in those cities suggests it can't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's about a dozen EPL sides in London isn't there?

There would be also more that number in 2nd & 3rd Division Soccer (fully professional) & a couple of union clubs & one super league club.

There are about 50 countries in the world that have bigger populations than Australia yet the NRL is about the 15th biggest in crowd numbers. So the NRL must be doing something right.

No there are 6 EPL clubs in a metropolitan of 13.6 million people and with $4.7billion tv deal. NRL is doing well crowd wise generally but that doesn't alter the fact nine clubs in one city of 5million is unsustainable and holding back the growth of the NRL.

pHyR3

Juniors
Doesnt the AFL have like 9 clubs in melbourne?

I think 9 clubs is sustainable, itll just take time and perseverance. But not all the clubs will be averaging 20k within 10 years. Population will grow, within a few decades i think sydney will have 6 million people. Which makes 9 teams more feasible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it does but it does not have nine sustainable clubs as I have said numerous times. There are 3-4 clubs that are in dire financial problems and being artificially kep afloat by taking money from other sustainable clubs via a ticket tax on fans.

Sydney has less interest in NRL than melbourne has in afl. Corporate support and fanbases are not there to sustain nine clubs. It will be sad to see a slow demise of some clubs as they struggle to keep pace or even worse the big clubs get frustrated at being held back and we have SL2 all over again.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
There is no sport in the world that has nine top flight clubs in one city where they are all fully sustAinable.

Between 1967 and 1981, Sydney had TWELVE teams in the NSWRL top competition.

Did the game die then? To be quite honest, it was probably a Golden Age of Rugby League in this country.

joshreading

Staff member
The NSWRL was not a professional competition, additionally the 70's and early 80's were a period of decline not some golden era.

If that was the golden era of "Rugby League in this country" then RL is in trouble because it would have to go backwards to get there.

pHyR3

Juniors
I think the dragons and penrith are the two regions that could easily be swallowed up by other clubs. Eels, Tigers, Dogs for Penrith and Souths, Dogs, Sharks, Roosters for the Dragons.

i just cant see the nrl alienating large fan bases given we've already culled so many in SL, bears, jets, balmain/magpies, illawarra etc.

the NRL will persevere with 9 and at worst relocate a club.

ram raid

Bench
http://findingshakespeare.org/discrete-entries/new-nrl-comp-2/

"

The NRL has too many clubs in Sydney. The popular, mild and boring remedy is to move some of the unsustainable clubs from Sydney to areas with bigger markets—The Central Coast or Ipswich or Central QLD or Papua New Guinea or Perth.

I think this is short-term thinking and there is a better solution available:

1) Re-imagine the whole competition.

2) Get rid of all the Sydney teams

3) Create 4 new teams in Sydney vaguely representative of the geographical poles— North, South, East and West.

4) Create New teams in the following locations:

Ipswich
Rockhampton
Perth
(Perhaps Port Moresby or Wellington could be considered)

No relocations or mergers. Brand new teams. Brand new histories.

5) The Broncos, North Queensland, Auckland, Melbourne and the Raiders all remain as is, with perhaps some rebranding in the spirit of a brand new competition. Get rid of the Gold Coast, they don’t deserve a team.

6) So you would end up with a competition that looks like this:
(I’ve added some mascots and imagination for affect)

Sydney Sehawks (Manly to Newcastle Market)
Sydney Falcons (Rabbits, Sharks, St George etc.)
Sydney Patriots (Eastern suburbs)
Western Shadows (Magpies, Panthers, Parramatta, Bulldogs)
Newcastle Knights
Brisbane Broncos
Ipswich Chargers
Rocky Ravens (Rockhampton)
North QLD Cowboys
Western Wolves (Perth)
Melbourne Storm
Auckland Warriors
Canberra Raiders

"