What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Come on man, give the bloke a chance, McGregor years before you see he is shyte.

Come on Saints board, you can do it.

d21a4014fe1f1898229339c16be20270.jpg

18to87

First Grade
There was a period in 2020 where the team just clicked and looked fantastic. This period coincided with Flanno being active as assistant coach. Then Young took over and everything went to rubbish again. Coincidence? Maybe, but that is the best they have looked in a long time.
This. Would happily have Flanno in charge at this point.

Dragon David

First Grade
Basically never should have been resigned prior to the season
No one chasing him
To keep out media noise!!!!
Getting plenty now anyway
just another clear sign of incompetent management. CEO and BOD an utter joke and learnt nothing from the Mary years clearly.

If he started well resign 1/3 way thru season
If crap like he has been sack him and move on

I was happy to give him a go but that means also give sloan amone and sullivan a go
not the old reject rubbish players he has playing
too F.. slow

should pay whatever it takes to bring ciraldo to the club IMO
I know hes a rookie , but clearly a good rookie and may well bring some young fringe panthers with him
2 year deal with option clubs favour
sign him up soon so he can sort out a roster (like what they did at sharks)
Ciraldo would be my man for sure. He could most probably hang around Ivan for the next few years as I feel that he loves it at the Panthers just like the Clearys and would be happy to stay as an assistant with a good pay packet.

Now that Penrith have won the premiership in 2021, they will be going hard to win back to back grand finals and so far things are looking bright for them to achieve this with father and son Clearys re-signing for another 5 years to the end of 2027.

Just imagine that - we had some sort of chance with Bennett but Doust only signed him for 3 years when I think Bennett wanted 5. I think if we had have kept Bennett for the 5 years we would have won maybe another 2 grand finals and we just don't know what would have happened after that. The good players might have been clamouring to join us, who knows?

Good luck to Penrith and I can see Cronulla going in the right direction as well. Both clubs joining the comp in 1967 that are really looking like being a couple of the more decent sides other than the Roosters and the Storm.

denis preston

First Grade
Love it. Maybe some of you knockers may be now wishing Mary was still here. One thing is certain.. he'd see that his poor selections were not bearing fruit and change them before too much damage was done. The bloke was a true believer.. he bled red and white like us diehards. Griffin is blind to anything other than backing the blokes he brought with him.
???? . Mary supporter BG ?

the garage

Juniors
Don't ignore effect of not having a strong captain on a struggling coach.

Top teams all have very positive attitudes hence the modern successful coach more psychologist than anything else, look at most good head coaches, they have strong and positive relationships with good captains, best example in recent history would be say Cam Smith & Bellamy.

Not knocking Ben Hunt in my opinion an exceptional footballer and probably our best player but I see him as a 'confidence' player, good captains should create confidence in others and not rely on it themselves.

Again it gets back to the Head coach, they should know how important a captain is, just an opinion could be completely wrong about Hunt as a skipper.

justadragon

Bench
I agree that Ciraldo might be our best option, but I would still like to see an approach made on Cameron Smith, if you heard speak on 100% footy the other day and some of the advice he was offering, i reckon with the right offer being made he would probably give it serious consideration. Anyway all this talk of new coaches etc could all be for nothing, after all, have we heard from our CEO, you would think that when there are a lot lot mutterings around he would like to maybe put them to bed. Anyway I think the Sunday press conference just wont be about the game, but I'm sure Hook will know that.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I've packed my bat away already.
I was actually barracking for the sharks today .
Had fun barracking for the broncos yesterday
I've never done that before
I'm just over the shit our club keeps dishing out.
It's almost at the point where they'd have to pay me to watch them live. Endless, mindless one out mistake ridden hit ups ie the "power game" aren't going to bring the crowds back. Rugby League is all about sweeping backline movements, performed at pace with the full-back involved as the Sharks have with Kennedy.

Vinnie

Juniors
We look like we now will probably lose Amone to Bennett. For some reason all our juniors are not good enough for our coaches Past and Present but good enough for other better coaches and clubs. What the hell are they thinking or doing ??? someone give me a list of promising juniors we have lost that starred in other clubs (theres many) and we get rid of them for 30+ year olds cheap discards
I am really really over it, dejected, confused, disillusioned and over it.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I agree that Ciraldo might be our best option, but I would still like to see an approach made on Cameron Smith, if you heard speak on 100% footy the other day and some of the advice he was offering, i reckon with the right offer being made he would probably give it serious consideration. Anyway all this talk of new coaches etc could all be for nothing, after all, have we heard from our CEO, you would think that when there are a lot lot mutterings around he would like to maybe put them to bed. Anyway I think the Sunday press conference just wont be about the game, but I'm sure Hook will know that.

Cameron Smith lives on a property in QLD, there is no chance he'll pack that up and move to the Gong or around Southern Sydney to coach Saints, regardless of salary. He has also coached ZERO NRL games, not even assisted an NRL coach or a lower grade for that matter. I'm not a fan of Hook at this stage, but to replace him with someone with NO experience seems ridiculous. Not to mention that he's an utter turd.

justadragon

Bench
Cameron Smith lives on a property in QLD, there is no chance he'll pack that up and move to the Gong or around Southern Sydney to coach Saints, regardless of salary. He has also coached ZERO NRL games, not even assisted an NRL coach or a lower grade for that matter. I'm not a fan of Hook at this stage, but to replace him with someone with NO experience seems ridiculous. Not to mention that he's an utter turd.
I dont think any dragons fan would like either a Storm or ex-Storm player, as for experience well I think he has bucket loads of it, maybe not as coach but as a game manager whilst playing, and he will also be AC for the QLD SOO side, as for mentoring a young dummy half there would be no one better, he is from the modern game understands and what is needed. Being on a property in QLD doesn't stop you from coaching interstate, he spends a lot of time interstate now with the media anyway, Bennett has done it and Bellamy will do it. Also if being a turd gets you the highest accolades in RL then we may need a turd a a coach because certainly the non turds are not doing it for us.

Vinnie

Juniors
I dont think any dragons fan would like either a Storm or ex-Storm player, as for experience well I think he has bucket loads of it, maybe not as coach but as a game manager whilst playing, and he will also be AC for the QLD SOO side, as for mentoring a young dummy half there would be no one better, he is from the modern game understands and what is needed. Being on a property in QLD doesn't stop you from coaching interstate, he spends a lot of time interstate now with the media anyway, Bennett has done it and Bellamy will do it. Also if being a turd gets you the highest accolades in RL then we may need a turd a a coach because certainly the non turds are not doing it for us.
Agree with you totally And add the old saying ..... Anythings better than what we have had !!!!

Mojo

Bench
Yep! If Cam Smith started coaching Saints I would finally cancel my lifelong support for the club. It would be the dead-end, rock bottom, total write-off IMO.
Ciraldo's the man! I sincerely doubt he's available or interested, though. I might start praying again.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Yep! If Cam Smith started coaching Saints I would finally cancel my lifelong support for the club. It would be the dead-end, rock bottom, total write-off IMO.
Ciraldo's the man! I sincerely doubt he's available or interested, though. I might start praying again.
I agree with you about Ciraldo, its just that I'm looking outside the square, really I dont care who coaches saints and I have been a member for over 50 years, whoever has the job, I'm just sick of all the non performances and duds that we have had, if CS coached the dragons and they started to perform or al least be competitive then that would make me very happy and have the club regain some pride along with the supporters.

BLM01

First Grade
Why is Ciraldo the man?.
Was he not there at Penrith under Hook?
I mean he is an assistant within a great team
How will he improve our roster?
Take a chance is all we have to go on, which a lot of people on here dont want rookie coaches again.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Ryles is the man to get. Been around Bellamy and now Robbo. He is the next best I think. Yeah I know he is a Rookie but how good is Fitzy going? I think Ryles will have the same effect and he is a Ex-Dragon so will have some passion in the job to succeed.

No rookies! Anyone can look like a good assistant coach.

Ryles was a dumb player. When the game was in the balance he could always be relied on to push a low percentage offload/ knock-on and give possession away. Surely we are not looking for someone who panics under pressure. I would rather Hook than Ryles. Flanno has the cv we want.

Crush

Coach
No rookies! Anyone can look like a good assistant coach.

Ryles was a dumb player. When the game was in the balance he could always be relied on to push a low percentage offload/ knock-on and give possession away. Surely we are not looking for someone who panics under pressure. I would rather Hook than Ryles. Flanno has the cv we want.
Ryles, hated him with a passion.
I’d rather Corey Norman coach us than that bloke.