What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Much Damage has Hunt done to this Club

possm

Coach
The Dragons need to clean out the bad apples. We have largely gotten rid of players casting a negative image on the club and have finally got rid of Giffin and hired a coach who knows what to do.

Hunt is the most damaging, most costly, and last obstacle to an orderly turn-around at the Dragons.

1. Select him at hooker and if he spits the dummy and wants to leave, let him go. Or else,
2. Drop him to reserve grade and if he wants out let him go.

It is better to take a punt on other halves at the club than keep feeding this ungrateful pouting sook. At least we will not be wasting salary cap on an underserving player.

Parko1310

Juniors
The Dragons need to clean out the bad apples. We have largely gotten rid of players casting a negative image on the club and have finally got rid of Giffin and hired a coach who knows what to do.

Hunt is the most damaging, most costly, and last obstacle to an orderly turn-around at the Dragons.

1. Select him at hooker and if he spits the dummy and wants to leave, let him go. Or else,
2. Drop him to reserve grade and if he wants out let him go.

It is better to take a punt on other halves at the club than keep feeding this ungrateful pouting sook. At least we will not be wasting salary cap on an underserving player.
And we're even less chance of getting any somewhat decent player to come across.. Without Hunt we would be deadset wooden spooners. You'd honestly prefer Volkman and Flanagan in the halves? Because no one else is coming, especially not for 2024. What a disaster that halves pairing will be when we have to play them twice during the origin period. Imagine it being the pairing every week.

justadragon

Bench
The 2023 Hunt fiasco is a by-product of an amateur, stuck-in-the70s, BOD. Apart for 2 or 3 games straight after origin, Hunt has always given his all for this club.
+ Is he an organiser? NO.
+ Should the BOD recruited an organising half after Widdop retired? YES.
+ Did they? No
+ Did the BOD promise to recruit better? PERHAPS....AT LEAST HUNT THOUGHT SO.
+ Did Hunt go about it the wrong way? PERHAPS.
+ Was Hunt sick of playing it the right way and was fed up? SURE SEEMS LIKE IT.

I'm not going to hate everything about Hunt's 6 seasons in the RedV, because he has been one of our best, but in his time here he has had to play in a team with a crap forward pack unit (anyone remember Willie Mason laughing at our packs weakness and not one forward even looked liked they cared). As well as the slowest backline over the last 6 seasons. If you took Sloan, Ramsay and Dufty out of our backline over the last 6 seasons, we have been almost pedestrian. Even 2024 doesn't look much better in the way of pure speed.
So I cannot blame Hunt for the damage. This scenario DOESN'T unfold at clubs with good management.
Can agree with some of your points but totally disagree with others, Bad management over the years, absolutely. Employment of Dud coaches - Yes, Recruitment a pile of crap - yes .
Did Hunt endorse the retainment of Hook - yes, did he hold the club to ransom if Hook got sacked - yes, did he put himself above the team and the club in announcing he would only play at 7 - yes, was his behaviour in trying to organise a stealth release during SOO time cognisant with being a club captain - NO, have his constant remarks about not wanting to be at the club damaged recruiting - yes (IMO), The fact that he endorsed a dinosaur of a coach who had antiquated game plans and ideas, which made our forward pack look ordinary and our backline look useless, and to say that the club would be going backwards if Griffin got sacked, what the hell was that, what was the club supposed to do. At least when Carr took over they played with a bit or heart. We are basically going to have the same team but I'm expecting a vastly different attitude to both defence and attack and a vast improvement in our juniors with Flanno at the helm.

Dragon David

First Grade
Can agree with some of your points but totally disagree with others, Bad management over the years, absolutely. Employment of Dud coaches - Yes, Recruitment a pile of crap - yes .
Did Hunt endorse the retainment of Hook - yes, did he hold the club to ransom if Hook got sacked - yes, did he put himself above the team and the club in announcing he would only play at 7 - yes, was his behaviour in trying to organise a stealth release during SOO time cognisant with being a club captain - NO, have his constant remarks about not wanting to be at the club damaged recruiting - yes (IMO), The fact that he endorsed a dinosaur of a coach who had antiquated game plans and ideas, which made our forward pack look ordinary and our backline look useless, and to say that the club would be going backwards if Griffin got sacked, what the hell was that, what was the club supposed to do. At least when Carr took over they played with a bit or heart. We are basically going to have the same team but I'm expecting a vastly different attitude to both defence and attack and a vast improvement in our juniors with Flanno at the helm.
Rightly said, justa.

maestro1

Bench
If he was promised a better squad and it didn't happen for 6 seasons, then that is not on him. His ultimate reaction was a sure sign that the promises were never going to be delivered on. You could argue that he was quite patient waiting for these dinosaurs to act. At some point, and I'd imagine that the Meningas and Walters of the world told him to wake up and realise that it was never going to happen. They would have all been in his ear, saying, come on mate, you are 34, they've been promising you this and that and they have done fxck all. Come home and play under Dessie or Kevvie.

I'm by no means justifying Hunt's actions, but after 6 seasons, he finally pushed back..... He chose to go about it the wrong way.

Origin has always been a vehicle for the smarter clubs to work on players in trying to steal them from the more stupid clubs. Fitzgibbon wrote about how he targeted McInnes. The Roosters and Knights worked on Frizzell...etc, etc

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, Ben Hunt is a high class player; he was recruited with James Graham ( elite class of front rower). Joining other Elite or class players like Widdop, Frizzel, JDB, Cameron Mc Ines, power front rowers like Vaughan, Au Mau. Fast and powerful Nene and magic Nighty. At the back the express speed Dufty.

As each season since 2018, our recruitment regressed and by 2023 was imo hopeless.

Ben shouldn’t have ‘gone public’ but much of the club’s problems expose a weak roster and no one coming of note. Without Ben we would in a farcical position imo. Good Grief and good luck Flanno.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Corey Norman, Maguire, McCullough all Ben's mates and probably the worst of the recruitment in the last 10 years as the decline started whilst they were at the club. Prior to that it was Widdop, McInness, Tariq at his best. I doubt very much Ben was against any of those signings? His fingerprints are all over recruitment of coach and players and it is Management's fault for letting a player dictate who comes and goes and then chucks a dummy spit if they get rid of them.

TruSaint

Referee
And we're even less chance of getting any somewhat decent player to come across.. Without Hunt we would be deadset wooden spooners. You'd honestly prefer Volkman and Flanagan in the halves? Because no one else is coming, especially not for 2024. What a disaster that halves pairing will be when we have to play them twice during the origin period. Imagine it being the pairing every week.

Oh the old " we would be spooners but for Hunt " line.

1.) We would never know if that would eventuate.

2.) Hunt is no magnet to recruitment. Just look at @Slippery Morris ' post above.

3.) His demands for better recruitment by the Club are so arbitrary , it makes them moot.

4.) Wasn't it Hunt whom demanded he played at half and "others" wait their turn , whilst playing hooker for state and country ?

5.) Hunt is the Captain of a famous Club and has PUBLICLY wanted a release, ( not once).

He's no saviour. Far from it. He is part of the problem.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I note that the Dogs and Tigers both managed to attract new recruits to the clubs even though they both were in the bottom 4. Don't lose hope as the club will have to:

1. Find a person who can spin a good sales pitch and negotiate a good deal that puts the club in a good position.
2. Make the best with what we have for 2024 but keep our eye on the market and do a better job with negotiations.
3. If we perform much better in early 2024, it should be less difficult to attract the players Flanno wants for 2025.

Dea

Juniors
Hunt should never have re-signed a few years ago if he was unhappy with recruitment etc and wanted to leave. Or maybe nobody else wanted him? I feel he has done the club a disservice with his mid-season request to leave and damaged our recruitment opportunities. I admit he is one of our better players but that is partly because all our play has revolved around him. Others playing 6 were never given any ball and he didn’t do enough with it as an organising half [which he is not]. I am not convinced that playing alongside or outside of him is that much of an attraction for the good players wanting to advance their game.

Personally, I will be happy when he is gone as i do not believe we have got our moneys worth from him.

justadragon

Bench
If he was promised a better squad and it didn't happen for 6 seasons, then that is not on him. His ultimate reaction was a sure sign that the promises were never going to be delivered on. You could argue that he was quite patient waiting for these dinosaurs to act. At some point, and I'd imagine that the Meningas and Walters of the world told him to wake up and realise that it was never going to happen. They would have all been in his ear, saying, come on mate, you are 34, they've been promising you this and that and they have done fxck all. Come home and play under Dessie or Kevvie.

I'm by no means justifying Hunt's actions, but after 6 seasons, he finally pushed back..... He chose to go about it the wrong way.

Origin has always been a vehicle for the smarter clubs to work on players in trying to steal them from the more stupid clubs. Fitzgibbon wrote about how he targeted McInnes. The Roosters and Knights worked on Frizzell...etc, etc
The time for Hunt to express his displeasure was when he was organising his extension and not after he signed on the dotted line. I seem to recall him wanting a get out clause if Griffin wasnt there, the clubs refusal to include that clause should have been a sign for him that Griffin was on the skids. As a club captain I'm sure he has an input into recruiting, but then again its not the final say. If he knew things were going not as promised he should not have extended. Yes the club is at fault in numerous cases but Hunt is still getting paid a Million Dollars a year to perform to his best and provide leadership and a learning pathways for our young halves, please tell me what they have learnt off him.

since77

Juniors
Hi All, Ben Hunt is a high class player; he was recruited with James Graham ( elite class of front rower)
Elite???? Here's another example of the braindead recruitment over the last decade. Signing Graham way past his prime was a mistake and set the tone for the next 5 or 6 years where we signed ageing forwards as the new, faster style of game was passing them by. Graham was great in his prime and a player of great heart and passion but calling him "elite" when he signed for us is laughable. At that point he was solid at best and declining with each passing season.

kit66

Bench
Elite???? Here's another example of the braindead recruitment over the last decade. Signing Graham way past his prime was a mistake and set the tone for the next 5 or 6 years where we signed ageing forwards as the new, faster style of game was passing them by. Graham was great in his prime and a player of great heart and passion but calling him "elite" when he signed for us is laughable. At that point he was solid at best and declining with each passing season.

Graham wasn't elite but he was a bloody good signing nevertheless, (I would have gone for 2 years instead of 3 but...). He was brought in as a pack leader and he did a great job and helped us make the 8. Played hard every game and wore the jersey with pride.
Graham was never the problem - again, people overlook the fact that no-one at the top of their game wants to come to our club. When was the last time we signed a star ? We've been lucky with some of our signings in the past, Frizell and T.Sims for example, both a bit risky at the time but turned out great. Apart from them and Hunt we've had no-one of note even consider coming to us. We all know why and who's to blame so stop blaming whichever player you happen to not like so much at the moment. (not referring to you since77 ).

Dragon David

First Grade
He needs to shut up and start playing consistent football and his kicking game is up to shit .
My brother told me that he heard someone on Skysports Radio say that Wayne Bennett will be going to Souths again next year and Shane Richardson will get a longer contract to be their General Manager. Also said that Ben Hunt won't be at the Dragons.

Sorry I don't know who that guy on Skysports is/was!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Oh the old " we would be spooners but for Hunt " line.

1.) We would never know if that would eventuate.

2.) Hunt is no magnet to recruitment. Just look at @Slippery Morris ' post above.

3.) His demands for better recruitment by the Club are so arbitrary , it makes them moot.

4.) Wasn't it Hunt whom demanded he played at half and "others" wait their turn , whilst playing hooker for state and country ?

5.) Hunt is the Captain of a famous Club and has PUBLICLY wanted a release, ( not once).

He's no saviour. Far from it. He is part of the problem.

100% Bud.........and the latest ..... I wasn't impressed with his post press comment after the game against the Cowboys which went something along the lines of...... "I guess whatever I said didnt really matter" when addressing the team behind the goalpost about the fact the opposition were getting on top......now as skipper he has every right to address his players they deserved a rev I can live with that, that's his job, but to share it with the press and everyone looking in is hardly a good PR statement for the players and his power as the captain...imo it just adds more fuel to our already flagging morale....anyhow mate just my 2 bobs worth

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
My brother told me that he heard someone on Skysports Radio say that Wayne Bennett will be going to Souths again next year and Shane Richardson will get a longer contract to be their General Manager. Also said that Ben Hunt won't be at the Dragons.

Sorry I don't know who that guy on Skysports is/was!
If true doesnt surprise me in the least...re Bennett I think those were my feelings on here a few days ago

Draginzaaar

Bench
100% Bud.........and the latest ..... I wasn't impressed with his post press comment after the game against the Cowboys which went something along the lines of...... "I guess whatever I said didnt really matter" when addressing the team behind the goalpost about the fact the opposition were getting on top......now as skipper he has every right to address his players they deserved a rev I can live with that, that's his job, but to share it with the press and everyone looking in is hardly a good PR statement for the players and his power as the captain...imo it just adds more fuel to our already flagging morale....anyhow mate just my 2 bobs worth
He probably told them they are shit because they are. If some of these forwards had basic ball skills, we would have scored more tries. M Molo against the Phins and Mariana the other day.