What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how much money will the 2017 WC make

HHH

Juniors
With the RLWC boss stating NSW government didn't make adequate bids for games and deciding venues commercially, i wonder what this world cup can generate and what it already has made. NT government apparently paid $1 million for its quarter final.
At guess I would say
venues and bids for 28 matches = around $10million
Channel 7 rights = $10 million

Thats $20 million and we are more than a year away. With international rights, sponsorship, gate takings and merchandise could we could end up over a total of $50million in total revenue which should make a very big profit for the RLIF

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let's hope so, it's the only decent income for the rlif and smaller nations so needs to be as successful as possible. It's up to rugby league fans to now get off their backsides and support the game they claim to love.

Last Week

Bench
Let's hope so, it's the only decent income for the rlif and smaller nations so needs to be as successful as possible. It's up to rugby league fans to now get off their backsides and support the game they claim to love.

Unless there's car racing on.

HHH

Juniors
read somewhere that Penrith where at least $200000 short of the bidding price for a match. Assuming that they offered $50000 that means a group game is worth at least $250000 ( minnows)
10 minnow group games at $250000 is $2.5 million, not a bad start considering they haven't sold a t ticket yet

Last Week

Bench
read somewhere that Penrith where at least $200000 short of the bidding price for a match. Assuming that they offered $50000 that means a group game is worth at least $250000 ( minnows)
10 minnow group games at $250000 is $2.5 million, not a bad start considering they haven't sold a t ticket yet

The last two world cups were set up so that a profit was guaranteed before kick off. I'd imagine this is the same.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not sure on profit, but I think there is an opportunity for the competition to close in on a 20k average this time around, which should give the coffers a reasonable boost

roughyedspud

Coach
Geez! it would want to make more than $4-5m.I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't crack $10m +

You have to faction in travel costs which will a damnsight more than 2013..

Historically tri nations & 4 nations when held down lost money or just about broke even compared to when it was hosted up here it generally made £1m plus profit..

The 08RLWC made around $3m ,2013 made around $6.6m with less teams and cheaper travel costs than what we'll face next year..

I hope its $10m plus though

roughyedspud

Coach
Just to give everyone a first person view of the additional costs of travel..

After the 2013 semi in london the kiwis all jumped on a train from euston to manchester piccadilly,i know this cos they where on my train,same bloody carridge, a one way ticket would have cost them £50ish,their kit and luggade went via road in a van thats £20 in fuel..

To get to games around aus...and on to png or nz its at the very least double the cost if you do a short hop between melbourne,sydney,brisbane...then triple or more the cost to get out to perth,darwin,port moresby & out to nz..

The travel costs are gonna eat into the profits massively..

If we held it all in sydney we'd easily top $20m profit lol

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm sure the esteemed Mr Brown has taken into account travel costs when devising his genius draw.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Should have got in touch with Branson, he used to own a RL club, could have had virgin as official airline lol.