What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How old is too old?

POPEYE

Coach
Never too old, next year I'm 69 and I'm going to rekindle some of my best upside down work to celebrate the year

butchmcdick

Immortal
Didn't the dragons had some fat f**ker as starting prop last year who came from nowhere ?

O'Brien or something similar ?

I picked the f**ker for my SuperCoach team and he did f**k all

Could this be mr o'brien ?

Grail

Juniors
He was banned from playing Rugby League for life as he was just too good. It wouldn't be fair to subject normal professional players to his level of skill and athleticism. Once they heard he scored 3 tries in a single half in a game of mixed touch football that was it. Career over before it began. Was a shame really. He would have revolutionized the game.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Reminds me of when the Tigers signed a guy called Peter Lewis who'd played a handful of games for parras nsw cup team. They did an article at the start of pre season where he said he hadn't played footy growing up but after watching Origin on tv he decided to play and his goal was to play for NSW. Apparently he lasted 4 pre season sessions and left because it was too hard.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Saw a lot of guys decide to play footy again or for the first time �� over 30 years old.

99.9% played less than 4 games.

Most got broken or just the toughness freaked them out.

Better off having a go early 20's or forget it.

Did know a guy in the 1970's who played A grade at 50.
He was really shit though lol.

AJB1102

First Grade
Druid, I recommend that you don't follow bunniesbandwagon's advice. Renting out your body to other men is not what normal people call a real job.
Stick to your dream son, with your talent you'll be on the street drinking alcohol out of your shoe in no time.

Did you invent the shoey?

butchmcdick

Immortal
The older brother of Rabbitohs' player Cody Walker says he can "still cut it" at 32 and today Ryan Walker will have his shot in front of National Rugby League scouts.

Ryan Walker admits he should have pushed himself more when he had his chance at the NRL.

He made his debut for the Penrith Panthers in Round 21, 2011, and played three successive matches, scoring one try.

But that was as far as it went.

Since then he has made his home in Newcastle and excelled in the strong competition there, winning numerous accolades and player of the year awards.

He was named man of the tournament in the New South Wales Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout in 2017 after winning the title with the Newcastle Yowies.

It has led to selection for the First Nations Goannas who will play New Zealand Maori tonight to cap the Festival of Indigenous Rugby League.

PHOTO: The First Nations Goannas in Sydney in 2017. (Supplied: Ryan Walker)

The team is different to the Indigenous All Stars in that the players are picked from the best of the community NSW and Queensland Indigenous rugby league tournaments, rather than from professional NRL teams.

It will be a proud moment for the 32-year-old Bundjalung man.

'It ended up not lasting'
Ryan Walker's rugby league resume is very impressive. But at times he still had thoughts about his short-lived professional career.

"I didn't really believe that I belonged. I thought I was a bit lucky and didn't think it was going to last, and it ended up not lasting. If I could go back I probably would have done a few things differently," he said.

"I didn't really appreciate those times like I should have. I cruised through a bit and I didn't push myself enough to make sure that I stayed there, there's a bit of regret there but that's just life."

While he admits the feel of professionalism in the Goannas camp brings back memories of those days, he said he was content with what he had now.

"I wish I would have stuck it out a bit longer, but I wouldn't have what I have today if I didn't walk away when I did," he said.

"I have my kids now and a working career so I can't really dwell on it."

That's not to say he has completely given up some hope of another game in the top grade.

Pro tips from his younger brother
Watching in the stands tonight will be younger brother Cody, who is the current South Sydney Rabbitohs five eighth.

PHOTO: Ryan Walker (left) with fellow First Nations Goanna player, Bennett Leslie. (Supplied: Ryan Walker)

The brothers share information about nutrition, training and recovery methods and Ryan tries to emulate Cody's schedule as much as his life allows with full-time work and a family.

This approach led to a career best year in 2017 where Ryan shone at every level of Rugby League he played.

Cody is adamant that his big brother could easily slip back in to life as full time athlete.

"He is very professional in the way he looks after his body, and he could be a part of a professional environment again," he said.

"I came to Goannas training the other day and he was here 40 minutes early, doing little stretches and just getting his body right."

He looks sharp, says coach
Goannas coach Laurie Daley said he was looking forward to watching Ryan Walker play and had noticed his experience and influence around the playing group.

"He looks really sharp at training and you can tell he has plenty of ability," he said.

"I think the guys respect him and they look upon him as a leader and just the way he has conducted himself around the camp has been excellent."

Daley, who is also the Indigenous All Stars coach is a strong advocate for Goannas team's community player approach.

He said he hoped Saturday's match would stick around to be a curtain raiser when the All Stars returned next year.

Daley also said Indigenous All Stars should play against a New Zealand Maori team, rather than an NRL All Stars squad.

He saw the game against the Maori team as a chance for his 20-man squad to shine, with some interested parties in attendance.

"These players will be before scouts and if they put their best foot forward and show their capabilities who knows where it may lead," Daley said.

For Ryan Walker, such an opportunity would be welcome, but he was not banking on it.

"I honestly believe I could still cut it at that level but it's probably not going to happen because of my age and what not, but I still try and keep myself at that high level," he said.

"If things like that pop up they do, but if not I am happy and comfortable where I am and doing what I am doing but you never know."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-...ll-make-it-as-professional-nrl-player/9416634

But can he cut sick at mixed touch ?

Latest posts