What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So when people pointed out Joseph Paulo's negatives and wanted him dropped to NSW Cup we were all whingers.
When Pou points out French's weaknesses and wants him out of the 17 it's risk analysis.

Gotcha...
You were whingers because you blamed our losses on whatever scapegoat you were obsessed with. So you can call me a whinger when you see me blaming our next loss on French on the wing.

The fact is that French at wing will probably contribute to costing us a tight game, just as having him on the wing will probably contribute to us winning a close one. The difference between me and most of you idiots is that I don't think that one game will prove anything either way regarding the selection of Bevan French on the wing. If we win I'll know we could've won by more with a different winger, and likewise if we lose I'll believe we might have lost by more without French.

One game proves very little. Two games proves only slightly more, and so on. Our win percentage with French at wing is only 50%, despite all his tries. But even that stat tells us little because five of the six losses came while Norman was unavailable.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
The fact is that French at wing will probably contribute to costing us a tight game, just as having him on the wing will probably contribute to us winning a close one. The difference between me and most of you idiots is that I don't think that one game will prove anything either way regarding the selection of Bevan French on the wing. If we win I'll know we could've won by more with a different winger, and likewise if we lose I'll believe we might have lost by more without French.
So if we win a game and French is on the wing, you walk away convinced we would have won by more if French was not on the wing - Conclusion - we're a better unit when French is not on the wing

If we lose a game and French is on the wing, you walk away convinced we would have lost by more if French was not on the wing - Conclusion - we're more a competitive unit when French is on the wing.

Is that what you're saying?

Happy MEel

First Grade
The fact is that French at wing will probably contribute to costing us a tight game, just as having him on the wing will probably contribute to us winning a close one.
You were whingers because you blamed our losses on whatever scapegoat you were obsessed with. So you can call me a whinger when you see me blaming our next loss on French on the wing.

One game proves very little. Two games proves only slightly more, and so on. Our win percentage with French at wing is only 50%, despite all his tries. But even that stat tells us little because
Our win percentage with him at fullback isn't much better.

Gronk

Staff member
I told you I don't care about Origin.

200.webp

Bazal

Post Whore
I wanna know where the idea that French is a poor defender even came from? The kid is one of the better scramble defenders in the game IMO and, for his size, the way he stops tries either at fullback or on the wing is quite amazing. He's a very good tackler and he reads the play well.

Kornstar

Coach
I wanna know where the idea that French is a poor defender even came from? The kid is one of the better scramble defenders in the game IMO and, for his size, the way he stops tries either at fullback or on the wing is quite amazing. He's a very good tackler and he reads the play well.

He's not the size of Semi so therefore must automatically be a bad defender and not good enough to play on the wing.........

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's his ability to wrap up the ball and stop post contact metres that is the problem. His low tackling is fine (a fullback style tackle in broken play), and as he showed on the weekend he is very effective coming from the attacker's blind side (a winger play) but this is a risky defensive style that smart teams (not the Dragons, who were also unaware) will exploit.

Bazal

Post Whore
Can't make post contact metres with no legs, to bastardise an old adage. His defence is fine. And whether wing or fullback he's one of our five best backs and will be in first grade when fit