What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iconic Moments on Fox

roofromoz

First Grade
And if deciding 5th place on for/against on the final ladder existed then,Penrith would have had 5th spot without that playoff,and would have been fresher for their finals match V Parra a week later.

Looked up the 1988 table... Penrith had far superior F/A than Balmain, but still finished equal fifth. Balmain won the playoff and got all the way to the GF.

TheFrog

Coach
Looked up the 1988 table... Penrith had far superior F/A than Balmain, but still finished equal fifth. Balmain won the playoff and got all the way to the GF.
In both '88 and '89, Ron Willey had the Panthers in a formidable position before losing the last 3 games to crash out of contention. In both those years two of the three were against the Balmain Tigers, who ended up losing the GF each time. They were certainly our nemesis in that era.

axl rose

Bench
In both '88 and '89, Ron Willey had the Panthers in a formidable position before losing the last 3 games to crash out of contention. In both those years two of the three were against the Balmain Tigers, who ended up losing the GF each time. They were certainly our nemesis in that era.

That softening up from the international Balmain pack really steeled the Panthers for their eventual GF appearances and premiership, especially the likes of Geyer and Cartwright. Those games were brutal. Blokes would be getting 10 weeks on the sidelines these days.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach

That Balmain team is in my opinion one of the best club teams that never won a premiership. They had a thrilling backline and powerful forward pack containing some of the best players of their time. The Bulldogs were just to good in 1988 but gosh they blew it in 89.

axl rose

Bench
That Balmain team is in my opinion one of the best club teams that never won a premiership. They had a thrilling backline and powerful forward pack containing some of the best players of their time. The Bulldogs were just to good in 1988 but gosh they blew it in 89.

The backline was only average to be honest, compared to the forward pack anyway. They never really dominated a season in the 80s, even in 89 Souths were the best team all year. Freeman was good but they really lacked a superstar in the halves for most of the 80's. Kenny or Sterlo would have been handy.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The model of the game today is rubbish. The 10 metre rule is the biggie here.As soon as a player has played it,the opposition are on top of the first receiver.

Make it a 15 metre rule at the ruck. They have two refs in the ruck,so it wouldn't be too hard to police.

It would open the game up like a can of beans. :)

If we had a 15m rule there would literally be 5 one out hit ups every set.

There was more ball playing when we had a 5m rule as teams had to stand deeper. Peter Sterling tells the story that when they were coached by Jack Gibson if they had the ball inside their own 20 the far winger would stand behind the dead ball line, that’s how deep they would get.

Vic Mackey

Referee
That softening up from the international Balmain pack really steeled the Panthers for their eventual GF appearances and premiership, especially the likes of Geyer and Cartwright. Those games were brutal. Blokes would be getting 10 weeks on the sidelines these days.

That game is one of my all time favorites from my childhood. At the time amongst Tigers fans there was a feeling that if We won that game we were going to witness something special in the coming weeks. It was probably the most anticipated club game I went to for 20 years.

roofromoz

First Grade

f**k me Neil Baker... :rolleyes:

T-Boon

Coach
If we had a 15m rule there would literally be 5 one out hit ups every set.

What about a 15 metre rule but the defense is allowed 4 "markers" who can defend anywhere behind the advantage line. Call those four players the forwards.

Peter Sterling tells the story that when they were coached by Jack Gibson if they had the ball inside their own 20 the far winger would stand behind the dead ball line, that’s how deep they would get.

That spread, depth of players looked so great in comparison to the flat line we see now.

King hit

Coach
The backline was only average to be honest, compared to the forward pack anyway. They never really dominated a season in the 80s, even in 89 Souths were the best team all year. Freeman was good but they really lacked a superstar in the halves for most of the 80's. Kenny or Sterlo would have been handy.

True but any team that had Blocker, Elias, Sironen and Wayne Pearce up front and Garry Jack, Henley, Freeman and an emerging Timmy Brasher is a seriously good team.

axl rose

Bench
True but any team that had Blocker, Elias, Sironen and Wayne Pearce up front and Garry Jack, Henley, Freeman and an emerging Timmy Brasher is a seriously good team.

Hanley was only there for 6 or 7 games at the end of the year. I just mean compared to the Parra backline of Grothe, Ella, Cronin you can see why Parra won 3 or 4 comps and Balmain 0.

beave

Coach
Bunnies V Broncos 1989.

Broncos have the ball on the last, Gary French goes to kick it and the ref blows a penalty to the Bunnies because Brisbane is offside...... hahahaha!! I forgot about that old rule where in attack you were only allowed 1 player within the 5m from your own tackled player......ridiculous rule.

Cameras on the eastern side back then as well. I never went to Lang Park back then but it looks like an utter shitbox.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Bunnies V Broncos 1989.

Broncos have the ball on the last, Gary French goes to kick it and the ref blows a penalty to the Bunnies because Brisbane is offside...... hahahaha!! I forgot about that old rule where you were only allowed 1 player within the 5m from your own tackled player......

Cameras on the eastern side back then as well. I never went to Lang Park back then but it looks like an utter shitbox.

Eh? I dont get that rule.

I only went the partly re-developed Lang Park in 1996, but yeah it looks terribly dated in old 80's videos, but still very close to the action.

King hit

Coach
Eh? I dont get that rule.

I only went the partly re-developed Lang Park in 1996, but yeah it looks terribly dated in old 80's videos, but still very close to the action.

Both the ends on the old ground look far away from the action, the stands on both the sides look like they would’ve provided good viewing. I never went to the old Lang park but I remember seeing it just before the redevelopment

beave

Coach
Both the ends on the old ground look far away from the action, the stands on both the sides look like they would’ve provided good viewing. I never went to the old Lang park but I remember seeing it just before the redevelopment

The western wouldn’t have been all that good viewing, the roof support pillars that come straight down into the stands would have been a pain in the ass if you were sitting behind them.

soc123_au

Staff member
That game is one of my all time favorites from my childhood. At the time amongst Tigers fans there was a feeling that if We won that game we were going to witness something special in the coming weeks. It was probably the most anticipated club game I went to for 20 years.
It would be up there as one of mine too even though we lost. Just a great hard game of football. Izzard on Benny would be in my top 5 Rugby League moments. I still remember jumping out of my seat in awe.

txta2

Bench
Watching Andrew Johns run through tired defence was the best part of the game 20 years ago. Sadly doesn't happen these days

GongPanther

Referee

The two weeks prior when we lost to both Balmain then Manly threw the team off kilter. After such a promising season,it was hard to take that loss. But Balmain were a good tough durable side in those days. Although they didn't win a premiership around that time,they played a big part in making the game what it was as a spectacle.