What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iconic Moments on Fox

beave

Coach
The old rule used to be when the ball touches the ground the marker could strike for the ball. So players used to get up and be in control before playing the ball

Rather than today they put the ball on ground and use it to get up while playing the ball

If you tried to do that before the marker had the right to kick it sideways and pick.it up

I can’t remember if this was the case for FG but in my teens playing for Moorebank in Sydney, you couldn’t strike at the ball while a player was playing it if they still had their hand on it.

I only remember this because my coach during my teensyears used to make us ad nauseam at training get on the ground with the ball, stand up to play it with one hand still on the ball as our foot would then make contact with it. We used to get bucket loads of penalties through juniors when ass clowns would strike at the ball and we’d still have a hand on the ball. I for the life of me, can’t remember if it was a Canterbury local rule or a rule that was commonplace throughout the game at the time at all levels.

20 odd years of booze will do that to you ;-P

no name

Coach
I can’t remember if this was the case for FG but in my teens playing for Moorebank in Sydney, you couldn’t strike at the ball while a player was playing it if they still had their hand on it.

I only remember this because my coach during my teensyears used to make us ad nauseam at training get on the ground with the ball, stand up to play it with one hand still on the ball as our foot would then make contact with it. We used to get bucket loads of penalties through juniors when ass clowns would strike at the ball and we’d still have a hand on the ball. I for the life of me, can’t remember if it was a Canterbury local rule or a rule that was commonplace throughout the game at the time at all levels.

20 odd years of booze will do that to you ;-P
Pretty sure that was the rule when I was growing up too.
There were a few players you knew to be wary of when playing the ball and held on to it right until you played it with your foot and placed it right back so they couldn’t reach it anyway.

T-Boon

Coach
There were a few players you knew to be wary of when playing the ball and held on to it right until you played it with your foot and placed it right back so they couldn’t reach it anyway.

It use to be a skill dominated by pests.
Guys like Benny Elias, Paul Langmack, Steve Mortimer.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Remember being confused as a kid watching the old Winfield greatest moments tapes when someone close to the line would just toe it forward and dive on it without playing the ball and it would be awarded a try

Jack Deth

Juniors
The last bit of this is very intersting..

Tackled players were banned from playing the ball forward to themselves.[49] As with the equivalent change by the ARL, there was some concern that this could stifle play.

too bloody right!

beave

Coach
They’re re-playing the Crushers/Broncos game at Suncorp again, watching this match really highlights that the game really needs a 2nd brisbane side. 35k and an electric atmosphere, my god our game has gone backwards in some aspects.

King hit

Coach
Does anyone here know anybody who was a legit Crushers supporter? I've never meet anybody who went for them. I have an aunt and uncle who lived near Lang Park in 1996 and went to a couple of games but that's about it.

T-Boon

Coach
Anyone watch any of the Sydney Rugby 7s?
I saw a couple of games. It was good looking football mainly because it looked nothing like Rugby and a lot more like League or at least League from the early 90s.
In my opinion the basic aesthetics of the Sydney 7s attack were good because the ruck to backline passes were these long, deep, crisp backline passes like Ricky Stuart use to throw back in the days before easy hit ups and flat attacks took over.
Having watched a lot of the Fox classic league games, and comparing the old with the new, one thing that looks ugly now is the flat attacks. The game is basically played forward of the ruck in the vacant 10 metre zone that the attack hasn't really earned yet. The flat attack looks trash to my eyes. The attacking team often huddle within 5 metres of the ruck and the backline never gets much deeper than a few metres and at worst are sometimes just a flat line like the defensive line. (on a side note this is one reason we just seem to accept a lot of dummy half forward passes). The main point I want to make is the rugby 7s reminded me how awesome long, deep, crisp Ricky Stuart, Andrew Johns type passes use to look.
I don't think the inventors of the 10 metre zone had in mind this ugly flat attack. My opinion is we need to rethink the 10 metres.

Pretty sure that was the rule when I was growing up too.

The rule used to be that you could strike for the ball in the ruck except:

• The marker could not raise his foot until the ball had been placed on the ground; and
  • The marker could not strike for the ball until it had been released.
As there was a lot of confusion over this, even amongst referees as to which part applied to which, it was decided by the administrators in Australia and the UK to outlaw the team not in possession playing at the ball in the ruck. It was also at this time they outlawed players playing the ball forward if there was no marker.

The idea was to clean up the ruck and try and reduce the number of penalties.

King hit

Coach
I just watched Origin 2 1985, Wally Lewis getting man of the match was a total joke. Should definitely have gone to Mortimer or Kenny. Either of them were much more deserving than Wally.

I meet Peter Wynn back in 2016 and he said Kenny was the best in this game.

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah the no marker tap was pretty cool.
But yeah the old videos close to the line are weird as. Clearly a marker there and they getting tries

T-Boon

Coach
The rule used to be that you could strike for the ball in the ruck except:

• The marker could not raise his foot until the ball had been placed on the ground; and
  • The marker could not strike for the ball until it had been released.
As there was a lot of confusion over this, even amongst referees as to which part applied to which, it was decided by the administrators in Australia and the UK to outlaw the team not in possession playing at the ball in the ruck. It was also at this time they outlawed players playing the ball forward if there was no marker.

The idea was to clean up the ruck and try and reduce the number of penalties.

Given all of this is it even right to call the tackle/PTB a ruck anymore? A ruck is a sort of a contest as I understand it. Does the term ruck actually still exist in the RL rule book? I am sure you still hear commentators use the term "one off the ruck". etc.

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah the no marker tap was pretty cool.
But yeah the old videos close to the line are weird as. Clearly a marker there and they getting tries

I would think about bringing it back except that you can do it any time regardless of whether there is a marker of not. Just have a rule that you can't tap it and then pass straight away you need to advance a certain number of steps before you can pass.

LineBall

Juniors
Does anyone here know anybody who was a legit Crushers supporter? I've never meet anybody who went for them. I have an aunt and uncle who lived near Lang Park in 1996 and went to a couple of games but that's about it.

A bloke at Uni (in Brisbane) used to wear their jersey all the time. They had a following. I think they would have been better of going with Brisbane as their moniker rather than Sth QLD. Either way they were always going to get done over after super-league.

Latest posts