What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideal NRL & 2nd tier expansion in the medium term.

jason1359

Juniors
I would love to see the nrl become national instead of just 3 states, ACT and NZ the amount of nrl supporters in SA and WA is higher then anyone thinks and just like the storm it will only grow over years there was no support in Melbourne now there as good as most Sydney teams also as I live in central qld I'd love to see a team outta Rockhampton but South Australia and Western Australia need to be next

The Great Dane

First Grade
But what about the likes of Newtown, Redcliffe and the clubs in the Newcastle and Illawarra comp's the sort of semi pro teams, be great to see the Mackay cutters packing out there small nice stadium every other week.

Yeah it might make a nice story for a year or two, but think what it'd do to the sport as a whole!

Take the Cutters, lets say that they win entry into the NRL, you've got a team that represents an area with maybe just over a hundred thousand people plus a bandwagon of a million (being generous) who are following because of the good story, plus they're right in the middle of RL heartland so they aren't add much in the way of growing the sports foot print.

Now let's take Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth.

Brisbane represents 2 million people, it's also smack ban in the middle of RL heartland but their's only one club there.

Melbourne represents 4 million people, and it's also an expands the footprint of the sport.

Perth represent just under 2 million people, and it expands the sports footprint,

Now in a country with a population of 24 million do you really think we can afford to waste to many spots in the main league on small area's and leave large area's like Melbourne without a club?!

Marlins

Juniors
Yeah it might make a nice story for a year or two, but think what it'd do to the sport as a whole!

Take the Cutters, lets say that they win entry into the NRL, you've got a team that represents an area with maybe just over a hundred thousand people plus a bandwagon of a million (being generous) who are following because of the good story, plus they're right in the middle of RL heartland so they aren't add much in the way of growing the sports foot print.

Now let's take Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth.

Brisbane represents 2 million people, it's also smack ban in the middle of RL heartland but their's only one club there.

Melbourne represents 4 million people, and it's also an expands the footprint of the sport.

Perth represent just under 2 million people, and it expands the sports footprint,

Now in a country with a population of 24 million do you really think we can afford to waste to many spots in the main league on small area's and leave large area's like Melbourne without a club?!
That's reason why we should have a 2nd tier comp. I come from Mackay & with a half decent stadium you would fill it every match. More players would come through the ranks because yes it is a RL heartland. Would create a great riviarly with Townsville if they were ever in the nrlbut this will NEVER happen. Next Nrl expansion sometime in the next 20 years will probably be 2 more NSW teams CCBears & some other suburban team located between Souths & Chooks can never have enough Sydney Clubs. Have to remember it might be called Nrl but it will ALWAYS be nswrl & that's the truth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's reason why we should have a 2nd tier comp. I come from Mackay & with a half decent stadium you would fill it every match. More players would come through the ranks because yes it is a RL heartland. Would create a great riviarly with Townsville if they were ever in the nrlbut this will NEVER happen. Next Nrl expansion sometime in the next 20 years will probably be 2 more NSW teams CCBears & some other suburban team located between Souths & Chooks can never have enough Sydney Clubs. Have to remember it might be called Nrl but it will ALWAYS be nswrl & that's the truth.

I've got no issue with Mackay being in a second tier comp, however promotion and regulation is a dangerously stupid idea in a country with such a small population and with a good chunk of that population either in a handful of city centers or spread over a giant geographical area.

BTW, P&R is more likely to see more Sydney clubs come into the league than less in my opinion, clubs like the Bears would literally send themselves broke in the hopes of promotion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl's future is in big city clubs drawing 20k crowds with 30k members. Can't achieve that in towns of sub 200k people sadly.

alien

Referee
I would love to see the nrl become national instead of just 3 states, ACT and NZ the amount of nrl supporters in SA and WA is higher then anyone thinks and just like the storm it will only grow over years there was no support in Melbourne now there as good as most Sydney teams also as I live in central qld I'd love to see a team outta Rockhampton but South Australia and Western Australia need to be next

I agree but I think it should be 2 relocations from Sydney. Having 18 teams would make the comp weaker, and 9 Sydney clubs in a national comp is too many. Roosters to Perth, and Sharks to Adelaide.

Last edited:
I agree but I think it should be 2 relocations from Sydney. Having 18 teams would make the comp weaker, and 9 Sydney clubs in a national comp is too many. Roosters to Perth, and Sharks to Adelaide.
Easts/souffs merger makes sense

Marlins

Juniors
Nrl's future is in big city clubs drawing 20k crowds with 30k members. Can't achieve that in towns of sub 200k people sadly.
The problem is there is very little Jnr's or players coming through the ranks in Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth unlike Mackay & CQLD.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just a question of investment and as seen in Melbourne as long as strong pathways from them nurseries to nrl then every town in nsw and qland doesn't need a nrl team.

Marlins

Juniors
Just a question of investment and as seen in Melbourne as long as strong pathways from them nurseries to nrl then every town in nsw and qland doesn't need a nrl team.
But with a 2nd tier comp these towns in Qld which have so much young talent but have not got enough pathways too develop would have with a 2nd tier. The best we could hope for from a Adelaide team is to have them as successful as Melbourne but as seen there no matter how successful they are they will never produce talent and will always have too rely on other states for players. This is the problem with expanding to areas like this there isn't enough talent. If you build the talent in areas we're there already is aka RL heartlands (every Qld town) then In the future places like Adelaide could have a team.

morley101

Juniors
I'm coming around to the idea of having a 12 team NRL and a 12 team 2nd tier with promotion and relegation.
The 2nd tier salary cap should be 1/3 - 1/2 of the NRL. 1 x 2nd Tier game to be broadcast on free to air and the rest of pay. After 3 - 4 years the NRL increases to 14 teams and another 2 teams invited to the 2nd tier,
Judging on the 2016 ladder Manly, Parramatta, Roosters and Newcastle to be demoted the 2nd tier.
The bottom team in the NRL is automatically demoted and the top team in the 2nd tier gets automatically
promoted. Maybe a playoff between the 2nd place Tier2 team and the 2nd bottom NRL team.

8 New teams

Brisbane 2
Perth
PNG
Fiji
Wellington
Central Coast
Central Qld
Christchurch

T-Boon

Coach
I'd only agree with a promotion and relegation if all the clubs in first division and second division got the same $$ grant.

The Great Dane

First Grade
But with a 2nd tier comp these towns in Qld which have so much young talent but have not got enough pathways too develop would have with a 2nd tier. The best we could hope for from a Adelaide team is to have them as successful as Melbourne but as seen there no matter how successful they are they will never produce talent and will always have too rely on other states for players. This is the problem with expanding to areas like this there isn't enough talent. If you build the talent in areas we're there already is aka RL heartlands (every Qld town) then In the future places like Adelaide could have a team.

It's a matter of investment and return!

Frankly the Storm haven't put a dime into junior development in Victoria (though they have put a fair bit into NSW and QLD over the years).
No investment in producing and maintaining juniors competitions at the highest standard possible, no steady flow of NRL quality talent.

Besides you're argument is a false dichotomy, you say either a club has local juniors or no juniors at all, and that's not true and hasn't been since the 70s!

Clubs (like Melbourne) have been very successful creating relationships with juniors leagues/ districts all over the "heartlands" to create parthways to the NRL through their clubs, thus their is no reason why a Perth or Adelaide team couldn't take up Mackay (as well as many other areas) as a juniors development area as well as or instead of the much more expensive option of developing a juniors program in WA or SA from the ground up (though doing so would have much better returns in the long run).

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'd only agree with a promotion and relegation if all the clubs in first division and second division got the same $$ grant.

And were bankrolled by the NRL so if they get regulated they wouldn't fold overnight.

Even then it'd be very dodgy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a matter of investment and return!

Frankly the Storm haven't put a dime into junior development in Victoria (though they have put a fair bit into NSW and QLD over the years).
No investment in producing and maintaining juniors competitions at the highest standard possible, no steady flow of NRL quality talent.

Besides you're argument is a false dichotomy, you say either a club has local juniors or no juniors at all, and that's not true and hasn't been since the 70s!

Clubs (like Melbourne) have been very successful creating relationships with juniors leagues/ districts all over the "heartlands" to create parthways to the NRL through their clubs, thus their is no reason why a Perth or Adelaide team couldn't take up Mackay (as well as many other areas) as a juniors development area as well as or instead of the much more expensive option of developing a juniors program in WA or SA from the ground up (though doing so would have much better returns in the long run).

Not to mention Perth has been investing in Jnr pathways for last 5 years with an SG ball set up, elite u16's academy and shs schoolarship program. Not to mention an ever growing Jnr club set up in the region.

taipan

Referee

Thanks your infinite wisdom.
Well that excludes the affluent Sutherland Shire pop est 226,220 at 30th June 2016 .Expected to increase by 10-20,000 over the next few years.
It has increased from 210,863 in 2011 to 226,220 in 2016.Increasing by over 3,000 per year.

taipan

Referee
And it is good to see the WA Pirates Academy and S.G Ball teams will be playing the Cronulla Sharks at their Academy Field Green Hills near Wanda on 21st January 2017.

Obviously to get the experience of playing a Premiership winning club's home town.

I might go and watch it, rather than go to any car racing or chess championships that may be played in Sydney ATT,

The Great Dane

First Grade
Thanks your infinite wisdom.
Well that excludes the affluent Sutherland Shire pop est 226,220 at 30th June 2016 .Expected to increase by 10-20,000 over the next few years.
It has increased from 210,863 in 2011 to 226,220 in 2016.Increasing by over 3,000 per year.

The problem with smaller Sydney clubs like Cronulla is that dispite that growth (which isn't really that impressive, and is finite in Cronullas' case) is that they are a short drives distance away from other larger clubs that could easily service the area.

Eventually, having nine clubs in Sydney is going to become completely untenable, it's already untenable, and clubs are going to have to go.

The problem we face is that the longer we deny this obvious fact to appease a handful of people that will be broken hearted, the more damage it does and the more and more likely it becomes that we will be forced to remove more teams then less, thus allowing the over saturation to do more and more damage.

But if you wish you Sydney folk (or Melbourne folk in the case of the AFL) can continue to live in you're fairy land where the rising cost of running a club suddenly stagnates for no reason, gaining sponsorship is no longer a necessity, and market growth is no longer necessary to for the competition and the sport it's self to grow and thrive.