What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Nene Mcdonald more potent in the centres

Vinnie

Juniors
Dugan is our fullback.
Widdop is our 5/8.
Field isnt ready for first grade yet imo. He needs time. Give Mann a run... that way we can positively decide field or mann for 2018.
Dufty, he isnt proven yet in first grade, dugan is in fine form.
Dufty will get his chances during origin and if injury occurs to dugan.
The way dugan played yesterday, wow... he was on fire.
There is no way you would move him now in that form. If his form drops, then sure... try Dufty.
Mann needs a run at half until field is ready for first grade. Then decide between the 2 who would better suit partnering Hunt in 2018.
I Agree totally wouldn't move Dugan or Widdop on current form and also wouldn't want wholesale changes but improvement is always welcome and needed ! I like many others believe that Mann could be our best choice at half. Would love to see him get a game at half with Field continuing to come off the bench (more game time than Saturday though hopefully) Iwould also like to see Dufty on the wing gaining experience and giving us ability to shuffle the backs around and again keep the opposition guessing.
I like the look of our possible future spine:
Dufty
Field/Mann
Hunt
McCiness

I think it has great speed, class, potential and feel we need to work towards that.

Uplifting

Juniors
I agree Doc, I can't see Duges being moved performing like that. At first, he failed with his first little kick, couldn't handle a pass in a sweeping movement either. But he persevered and produced a very creative play that setup the McInness try.

As per his playing style when he first came to the Dragons. I think he may have just reminded himself of what he is capable of.

I would like to see Dufty given a spot on the wing. The back line would have more skill and speed with Dufty and Mann (centre) there IMHO.

As for Field, I really like the idea of him skipping a grade and coming off the bench. He will be better after debuting and really itching to give it another go. I like how he didn't go for touch when we received a penalty, and instead tapped the ball and decided to give his step a go on the FG opposition. Keep it coming!!!

Vinnie

Juniors
In addition i (i feel as many of us) would like to see our backline as follows:
Dugan
Dufty - gaining experience and ready to step into fullback in case of injury and at origin time
Aitken
Milne
McDonald
Widdop
Mann - Field coming off the bench gaining valuable experience and adding unpredictability but needs more time on the field game by game

There we have a backline with speed and strength, with game breakers and unpredictability one that can score points and one that has sufficient players that can shuffle around to cover for injuries etc. And also knowing that we have capable replacements like Nightingale / Lafai / McCrone available to cover. And thats not even including players from Illawarra or youth teams.

With Hunt ready to step in future is starting to look better and better.

possm

Coach
It always bugs me when people say something won't or will happen with not explanation.
Aitken has signed a 3 year deal and is not likely to move on anywhere in the short term.

Milne is by far our best right centre and will move on if we don't value his talents.
Mann is so versatile with a wide range of high level skills. Again not a player we should let go.
Lafai, despite all the hype, has not shown decent form since coming to the Club.
Aitken would be a very effective utility player.
Dufty and Field have more speed and more elusive skills than any other backline players in the Club.

So it's a no brainer. Put our best combination on the field and make adjustments if necessary.

Vinnie

Juniors
It always bugs me when people say something won't or will happen with not explanation.
Aitken has signed a 3 year deal and is not likely to move on anywhere in the short term.

Milne is by far our best right centre and will move on if we don't value his talents.
Mann is so versatile with a wide range of high level skills. Again not a player we should let go.
Lafai, despite all the hype, has not shown decent form since coming to the Club.
Dufty and Field have more speed and more elusive skills than any other backline players in the Club.

So it's a no brainer. Put our best combination on the field and make adjustments if necessary.
Possm we seem to agree a lot ... what are your thoughts on my posts in here ??? would like your thoughts

possm

Coach
Possm we seem to agree a lot ... what are your thoughts on my posts in here ??? would like your thoughts
I'm glad you have joined the forum and enjoy reading your posts. In fact I like ready all posts on here and think the diverse views are enlightening and healthy for discussion.

I really like it when member give a reason for their views.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

I can see what your saying possm .
I think mann would also be handy on the bench he can cover anywhere from 1 to 7.
I would put him there this week and give field a full game for illawarra.
Imo

Dragsters

First Grade
I can see what your saying possm .
I think mann would also be handy on the bench he can cover anywhere from 1 to 7.
I would put him there this week and give field a full game for illawarra.
Imo

I agree samy, but I don't think Mary will make any changes to a winning team.

For mine though, based on last weeks performance where the forwards really excelled and the halves were solid, the backline is the only place to make changes at present.

This is what i would like to see this week...

Aitken had a good game so he deserves to stay.

Milne has to be there and I thought lafai didn't take advantage of his opportunity so he makes way.

Mann also has to be in there too and his versatility would be valuable as the bench utility if we are to persist with this strategy for now.
Personally I don't this is sustainable long term as the extra forward on the bench at some point will help maintain the type of dominance our pack displayed in round 1 over the long term.

Field would benefit most from some full games in the halves at cup level.

Oh, regarding the actual thread topic, no Nene stay on the flank I reckon. Once the halves refine their kicks to him he will be a weapon out there.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Saints FINALLY have recruited someone capable of filling Brett Morris' shoes....leave him on the wing (although it means Nightingale has to move to the left side).

Aitken is the club's best centre, and deserves his place. Milne has a few tackling deficiencies for my liking.

Uplifting

Juniors
I think we all have OCD. The Dragons just gave a very spirited performance and already we are trying to improve and put the perfect team together. I suppose we can't help it.

BennyV

Referee
Saints FINALLY have recruited someone capable of filling Brett Morris' shoes....leave him on the wing (although it means Nightingale has to move to the left side).

Aitken is the club's best centre, and deserves his place. Milne has a few tackling deficiencies for my liking.
Disagree RE: Aitken. IMO, Milne has far more weapons in his attacking arsenal with better agility, awareness and ball skills. There were a number of chances that were let go by Aitken's style of tucking the ball under the arm and running, where he should be promoting the ball or at least holding it in front to make the opposition think there's a chance he might throw it.

And I'd say they have equal tackling/defensive deficiencies - where Milne seems to have over-enthusiasm/over-aggression leading to wrong moves, Aitken has a tendency towards poor reads, particularly defending kicks.

ANywho, Milne will get a shot at some point and I hope it's a game where our forwards/halves dominate like they did on Saturday so we can see what he's capable of.

possm

Coach
Macdonald is absolutely great on the right wing. Now we need some speed and agility on the left wing. If Mary is going to continue with a compressed defence, Nightingale is out of a job as the speed necessary to defend out wide is no longer with him.

Latest posts