What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the crusher tackle hysteria about to ruin the end of the season?

Tommy Smith

Referee
I vote yes.

It has just given players even more reason to dive. And what's worse, the video refs are falling for it.

Daly Ploddy-Flopper's effort tonight was atrocious.

But... as bad as the overzealous crackdown is, the coaches should take equal blame for coaching players to dive. Is Trent Robinson the only coach in the NRL that instructs his players to get up and not milk the penalty?

It'll be tragic if/when one of these 'crusher' tackles ends the Cowboys season in the finals (I'm just assuming they'll be on the end of it).

Get up you merkins! You're worse than Italian footballers!

I vote yes.

It has just given players even more reason to dive. And what's worse, the video refs are falling for it.

Daly Ploddy-Flopper's effort tonight was atrocious.

But... as bad as the overzealous crackdown is, the coaches should take equal blame for coaching players to dive. Is Trent Robinson the only coach in the NRL that instructs his players to get up and not milk the penalty?

It'll be tragic if/when one of these 'crusher' tackles ends the Cowboys season in the finals (I'm just assuming they'll be on the end of it).

Get up you merkins! You're worse than Italian footballers!

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish. Tacklers have a responsibility too ensure the safety of the guy they're tackling. I thought the refs were right tonight regarding the Evans incident in checking it, and the one a little later that was put on report. You can't have a free-for-all, whereby any player can just plough in haphazardly.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Don't let Queensland plodder tactics ruin the season!

We've been saying that ever since we let the double-headers get a look in.

Paullyboy

Coach
The game has turned into a farce. This 'crusher' rubbish is just another nail in the coffin.

Danish

Referee
The "crusher" tackle on DCE was an absolute joke. He tried to duck into the ground to make up for the fact he ran sideways on his own try line like a genius, and gets a penalty for it.

He deserved to get creamed and put himself in harms way by dogging it and trying to surrender in the tackle. If he'd stayed on his feet and took his medicine like a man instead of trying to cower in a ball like a bitch he wouldn't have got hurt

no name

Coach
Was the DCE one penalised? I'm pretty sure it wasn't.
The one that did go on report was so innocuous it wasn't funny.

Flapper

First Grade
The game has turned into a farce. This 'crusher' rubbish is just another nail in the coffin.

This sort of complete and utter rubbish will ruin footy more than shit refs diving merkins and Thursday footy ever will. f**k there are some absolute morons as footy fans.

POPEYE

Coach
Inexperienced authority on the ground and in the air will be the catalyst for turning the game into a farce, the rules applied properly are not to blame. Need to find 8 worthy referees and establish a central bunker

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The rule was brought in because certain teams were employing it as a tactic and doing it intentionally. Most of the incidents I've seen put on report this season have been purely accidental and look nothing like the tactic that some teams were using a few years ago. It's horsesh*t IMO and it takes away from the game.

Remember grapple tackles? They're as rife as ever this season but I haven't seen one penalised all year. The inconsistency in officiating are making the game tougher to watch.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
whether it was his own fault or not, Cherry Evans was clearly hurt and people saying he dived are complete tools.

I dont agree with the refs stopping the game to check it though. He should have been moved out the back and Eagles made to take the drop out.

Glen

Bench
The Cherry Evans one was ridiculous with the ref stopping the game and calling for the video ref just because he was holding the back of the neck. The Ben Smith one was just purely accidental and should not have been a penalty.

Legit crusher tackles are bad but now players know that all they have to do is hold the back of their neck if there was some trivial contact and the refs will check it

oikee

Juniors
The biased refs and them going to the video ref is what is harming the game.
The players know they can now milk the refs.
The only player who should be on report all nite was Jason King for his swinging arm tackle trying to take out one of Parra's finest.
He should get 6 months for repeated offence.,

Usain Bolt

Bench
Manly players are coached to stay down and milk penalties. They're always lying on the ground grabbing their heads and necks at any sign of contact

tumbidragon

First Grade
Over the last few weeks I don't think I've seen so many players come out of tackles clutching the back of their necks in the hopes of a penalty... Between that, players diving when an arm go's anywhere near their shoulders and the shit quality of officialdom, the game is a joke to watch at points.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The real problem lies in the fact that the poor refs are constantly bring told different things to watch for, and the interpretations swing wildly from week to week, game to game, even ref to ref.

If they come out and say the Ben Smith one wasn't a problem (which they should) then next we'll probably get a raft of ridiculous grapples and crushers let go.

It goes without saying - they really need to sort their shit out.