What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is The Premier League Of 2007 Draw Out Yet?

Jeffles

Bench
The NSWRL are notoriously slow at this. They said it would be out late November but it will probably be closer to late January.

Jeffles

Bench
It's no different to every other year. As an official, it sh*ts me more than it should annoy fans.

Bluebag

Juniors
Since when has the NSWRL ever been prompt on these things, they havent even produced a working document about 2008 yet for the clubs to look at.Any wonder they lost control of the game and now the under 20's.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
I'm not happy about it either but there are a lot of things they have to consider when they do the season.

Not every NRL team has a premier league team. Matching games to their NRL teams requires some juggling, there are those crappy "stand alone" games which are pathetic in my opinion. They would have have only got the NRL draw shortly before it was released.

As I said, those in league don't like it either but what can we do apart from moan groan and grumble and wait.

Jeffles

Bench
LeagueLegend said:
Not every NRL team has a premier league team. Matching games to their NRL teams requires some juggling, there are those crappy "stand alone" games which are pathetic in my opinion. They would have have only got the NRL draw shortly before it was released.

As I said, those in league don't like it either but what can we do apart from moan groan and grumble and wait.

Newtown do bloody well out of these. They raise the profile of PL more than most other clubs.

IMO, the games should match NRL fixtures where possible but you should have a proper home and away regular season where everyone plays each other twice. There are enough weeks in the season to do this so it should be done.

It's stupid that sometimes we play teams three times and other teams once IN THE SAME SEASON when we could playe everybody twice.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Newtown do bloody well out of these. They raise the profile of PL more than most other clubs.

With respect, NRL clubs really don't care about the profile of PL. NRL is where it is at for them. Provided it can be a "curtain raiser" to the main game to get "bums on seats" at the ground earlier then it serves its purpose.

brook

First Grade
LeagueLegend said:
With respect, NRL clubs really don't care about the profile of PL. NRL is where it is at for them. Provided it can be a "curtain raiser" to the main game to get "bums on seats" at the ground earlier then it serves its purpose.

Using the same argument though the NSWRL (the ones in charge of the PL draw) shouldn't really care about getting bums on seats to NRL games, their priority should be whatever is best for the PL comp as a whole.

The more stand-alone games Balmain get the better imo - I miss my footy but I'm nowhere near stupid enough to try dragging a 2 year old and a newborn to telstra :lol:

LeagueLegend

Juniors
I can understand it from the point of view of clubs that don't have a NRL team or share an NRL team but for those who have a PL team they fully own it is in their best interest to have a matching draw and as little as possible stand alone home games. I'd much rather go to a stadium where the crowd is filling up for NRL and have around 8000 there already than close friends, family and die hard supporters.

As I said I make these comment with all due respect. The clubs top grade is where the focus is at. If you club doesn't have NRL then your top grade lies in another Comp be it PL, Jim Beam or other.

Bluebag

Juniors
While there are many NRL clubs who just care about the top grade there are many diehard fans who care about seeing their traditional club play as a stand alone game. Balmian V Newtown games and also Wests games are hard fought and have great atmosphere which keeps the diehards going.

They are family friendly and affordable as not everyone can afford to take the family to Sterile stadium. Perhaps the league should obly have 1 grade and a draft of under 20's and be done with it.

Traditional games at traditional grounds are a more enjoyable day out for families. David Gallop was one top official who was gobsmacked at the atmosphere created at Henson between two foundation clubs. While it does not gain the publicity of the NRL or the revenue give a PL stand alone game anyday. Its what the good old days were all about, players mingling with fans, good banter and no dramas.

Latest posts