What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITS OFFICIAL

Anonymous

Juniors
And btw Jimbo, you still didnt answer my question about your club's disgraceful reputation.
Is it the coach's fault? Or does the fish stink from the head down?

Willow said:
Did Godz Illa's figures say anything to you guys?

They did indeed...

Dean Moriarty said:
Indiscipline is flopping on tackled players, backchatting, not retreating 10 metres, dodgy play-the-balls. Cronulla have a lot of those, hence the high number of penalties we give away.

Dean Moriarty said:
Thuggery is ... ...and, yes, kneeing opponents in the face (Bird).

and most importantly...

Dean Moriarty said:
As a club, we are at least facing up to our problem and trying to fix it.

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
Bringing up Thompson's punch up up with Hart is a low thing to say and has nothing to do with the player's on-field discipline.
Awww. Looks like someone is short of answers all of a sudden....

Nobody said anything about restricting the definition of a 'thug' to on-field behavior. Do you think beating up your team-mates is acceptable?

Willow said:
And btw Jimbo, you still didnt answer my question about your club's disgraceful reputation.

Well for starters, the only people who seem to think our reputation is disgraceful are you guys. The article which started this whole discussion even referred to our long-standing image as "squeaky clean."

That said, we do have a problem with conceding penalties at the moment, and our coach has publicly stated that fixing it is a priority. The club has also stated this week that they will also be imposing fines and dropping players who continue to concede the sort of dumb penalties which are costing us games.

The problem is not our current coach's fault, but his predecessor. (sorry, I've used a big word. That's the guy who had the job before he did) Raper is committed to fixing it though, and is confident of doing so.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Jimbo said:
Willow said:
Bringing up Thompson's punch up up with Hart is a low thing to say and has nothing to do with the player's on-field discipline.

Nobody said anything about restricting the definition of a 'thug' to on-field behavior. Do you think beating up your team-mates is acceptable?

Surely an esteemed scholar like yourself could see that the argument was in the context of on-field transgressions. if off-field dalliances were involved we could also talk about the things that *allegedly* happend when the Sharks were in New Zealand a few years back.

Jimbo said:
Willow said:

Well for starters, the only people who seem to think our reputation is disgraceful are you guys. The article which started this whole discussion even referred to our long-standing image as "squeaky clean."

That'd be the "squeaky-clean" Cronulla who had a biting charge in 2002 as well. The same club who's "squeaky-clean" Jason Stevens revels in giving wedgies & stamped on a man's face (un-punished) when representing his country??

Face it, Cronulla's reputation is in the gutter after last Saturday night.

Jimbo said:
That said, we do have a problem with conceding penalties at the moment, and our coach has publicly stated that fixing it is a priority. The club has also stated this week that they will also be imposing fines and dropping players who continue to concede the sort of dumb penalties which are costing us games.

The problem is not our current coach's fault, but his predecessor. (sorry, I've used a big word. That's the guy who had the job before he did) Raper is committed to fixing it though, and is confident of doing so.

Blah, blah, blah - we've been hearing this for 38 years now...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Willow said:
ahhh, no. Last time I checked we were talking about this week's on-field discipline of players who trip and knee their opponents. Bringing up details of an unacceptable off-field event from years ago is stupid imo. But please, don't let that change the way you do things.
I hope you don't mind if I choose not to sink that level and dredge up the numerous indiscretions from the Sharks' past.

Jimbo said:
Willow said:

I'll think you'll find the disgraceful reputation that the Sharks are a rabble is a view shared by a number of supporters from other clubs as well.

Blaming the ex-coach is massive cop-out imo. I can't see how a person who hasnt been in the building for months can be at fault for what's happening now.
Quite clearly the problem is deeper than you are willing to admit to.
If Raper says he is trying to clean it up, then good luck to him. As I said, time will tell.

oh and btw, 'predecessor' is indeed a big word and anyone under the age of 12 would be suitably overwhelmed. It's good to see that throughout this week of shame, you can still impress yourself. :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
Well for starters, the only people who seem to think our reputation is disgraceful are you guys.
Further to this point, the article in question from the normally conservative NRL website today:

Wake up Sharks

7 April 2004

Once the cleanest club around, the Sharks have degenerated into the worst on-field offenders in the game...

An investigation by Big League found the Sharks – who for over 30 years have prided themselves on a drama-free, squeaky-clean image – are unrivalled as the code's worst on-field transgressors, littered with impetuous players who contest almost every refereeing decision.

...wide-ranging analysis revealed Cronulla are:
- The most penalised side in the NRL;
- The kings of flouting ruck rules, leading the penalty counts for holding down and hands in the ruck;
- Guilty of more high tackles than any other side;
- Hampered by a handful of serial offenders headed by forward quartet Jason Stevens, Danny Nutley, Phil Bailey and Chris Beattie;
- The dirtiest club of the past 18 months, with four of the NRL's seven send-offs during that period involving Sharks players.

The damning findings come just a week after the Sutherland Shire club was hammered 36-12 by South Sydney in a performance veteran fullback David Peachey labelled "disgraceful".
Their frustration culminated with five-eighth Greg Bird being sent-off for kneeing Rabbitohs winger Shane Marteene in one of the game's most unsavoury acts of the past decade and Jason Stevens facing a tripping charge.

To compound their plight, Cronulla lost the penalty count 15-4.

Raper is fed up with the Sharks' ill-discipline and, in a scathing attack, has demanded players take ownership for their on-field behaviour.
He admits he arrived over summer with concern for Cronulla's night of shame at Parramatta Stadium last season.

Under former mentor Chris Anderson, the Sharks had two players sent-off and a further sin-binned as they crashed 74-4 – the worst defeat in their history.

After four rounds of the new season, the Sharks have conceded 45 penalties – the most in the league ...

Of greatest concern, however, are the continual acts of petulance by a posse of Sharks.

Bailey, Nutley, Stevens and former skipper David Peachey regularly contest the referee's decision, often accompanying their concerns with arm-waving, finger-pointing and an air of dismay.

Last season, Nutley and Penrith's Luke Priddis were the NRL's most penalised players, breaking the rules 25 times.

They were followed by Sharks pair Beattie and Bailey (21 penalties).

This year, Bailey and Stevens have already been penalised seven times.

Nutley, who on three occasions last week argued and gesticulated wildly with referee Archer, has sinned five times.

Four Sharks have been sent-off in their past 30 games – Paul Gallen, David Peachey and Dale Newton in 2003 and Bird last Saturday night.
"You don't have to be Einstein to work out there's a problem..."

Jimbo

Immortal
It's a bit strange that you're taking the NRL's word for it all of a sudden. Don't they also say that your club is five years old and has won nothing?

Jimbo

Immortal
Yep, same NRL. The difference is, of course, I'm not trying to convince myself that my club has won 15.

Oh dear indeed...

Bloody hell off course your not trying to convince yourself that the Scum gave won fifteen premierships!! You'd have enough trouble convincing yourself they've won one let alone fitteen. :lol: :lol:

Jimbo

Immortal
Whatever you reckon Denis. At the end of the day, I can support my club without any nagging doubts floating around in the back of my head.

Enjoy round 6. I know I will...

At the end of the day your club is crap, your fans are crap, your ground is crap, your history is crap and your team is crap.

I'm glad that there are no nagging doubts floating around in that airy head of yours about that.

Jimbo

Immortal
Denis'saints'Freak said:
At the end of the day your club is crap, your fans are crap, your ground is crap, your history is crap and your team is crap.

I'm glad that there are no nagging doubts floating around in that airy head of yours about that.

A very eloquent and well thought out post. Not!!

1. While the Board could use an update, my club is still standing alone.
2. Our fans don't riot against each other, and are all on the same side.
3. Toyota Park is superior to Oki Doki Dump in every way. You're probably better off waiting until you get lights installed before going down that road again...
4. Are you referring to the 8-3 thing?
5. Big call, considering you've only managed to finish ahead of us on the table once. We'll see who ends up where at the end of the year, won't we?

Godz Illa

Coach
Jimbo your inanity is staggering, and your attempts to move the focus of this discussion away from your club's abhorrent on-field misbehaviour and onto a perceived divison between St George Illawarra supporters is futile and maladroit. Perhaps a knee to the head will activate those two dormant brain cells of yours. Does anyone have Bird's number?

Anonymous

Juniors
Jimbo said:
It's a bit strange that you're taking the NRL's word for it all of a sudden...
Is that best reply you have? Were the quotes from Raper and Peachey fabricated?
Everyone is laying the boot into that rabble you call a team. Your failure to acknowedge this exposes your own shortcomings.

Jimbo, how much ear wax do you have on your fingers and how often do you say, "nah nah nah..."?

11Straight

Juniors
Ireally cant see the complaint about a one off steelers jersey big woop as much as im a saints supporter we need to embrace both sides of the merger we may have missed out on the 80th birthday but since day one of the merger we have worn the red v one game with the steelers jersey cant be that bad with our emblem on it or not.

11Straight

Juniors
Willow said:
lol. I think you've hit the wrong thread DWD04, but point noted. :D
Not rreally i dont tthink ive hit the wrong thread but i think its only ffair financial status or not we embrace the other side of the venture for a one off game.