What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird: "I wouldn't be here if I hadn't left the Dragons."

Minh

First Grade
What evidence could possibly bring you to that conclusion?!?!

What Trusaint said, I am not here to debate this topic because IMO you guys are not wrong for not liking him either. I think in my mind there is something there that we have yet to see, perhaps a couple players in the jigsaw puzzle.

TruSaint

Referee
What Trusaint said, I am not here to debate this topic because IMO you guys are not wrong for not liking him either. I think in my mind there is something there that we have yet to see, perhaps a couple players in the jigsaw puzzle.

Go Saints !!!!!!

Tuddy

Juniors
This is just so sad, a young passionate, talented kid not given a shot because the team was so focussed on defense, leaking points and attempting to minimise risk they didn't look at what was right in front of them.

Who can blame the kid for saying it was the best decision of his life? It clearly was. Does anyone honestly think he could have replicated that by staying at the Dragons? Good luck to him and good on him for having the courage to strike out and have a go.

rasaint

Juniors
Tell you what he looked very dangerous every time he had the ball in Soo. Play him halfback, bring in Tedesco and Roberts into the centres.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Defend Mary and our so-called recruitment all you like but the evidence was on display tonight with the little game time Jack had and he runs rings around all our players barring Duges. We stuffed up in letting him go and its obvious. We havn't seen any evidence of Mary being a good coach this season,all he did last year was man manage and get them defending for one another but our artack was rubbish then like it is now.

BennyV

Referee
Yep its different.

Mary does NOT control recruitment
. That should satisfy part of your argument. Refer to his appointment. He does NOT have control of recruitment. Lets keep it on topic.

Are we better than the Price days ? I would say yes... but then that would be accepting mediocrity.

Is our squad better than 2-3 years ago ? I would say yes.

Do we need a revamp ( commercially and structure wise ), to get us to the next level ? Yes.

WE still shit on most Sydney Clubs this year , and have a crack at playing in September... I know... very sad as we should be playing in October.

NOt sure if you listened to it, but the interview that NRL Market Watch had with Ian Willward directly contradicts the first bonded part above. Mary has a big hand in identifying players to recruit and is also considered as a selling point for our team. Not really any wonder we can signed players!

As for shitting on other Sydney clubs...really?! Like who?! Parra, Wests and Manly? That's hardly most! Souths and Roosters are having a poor year this year but considering their off-field state and record in the past few years, anyone would struggle to put us above them in any department other than quality of fans (Roosters still far more desirable than us as evidenced by the Keary saga). Penrith are a team/club very much on the rise and considering the youngsters they have coming through, are very much in line to be a Top 4 contender for years. Sharks speak for themselves. Dogs, while inconsistent, blow us away on and off the field. So that's 3 we 'shit on' (although it's very arguable that we are simply in the same class as them) and 5 that shit on us from a great height...

I hope you see the irony of saying 'let's keep it on topic' when all I'm asking for is some shred of evidence, anywhere, that Mary is a competent coach, let alone the coach to rebuild our team for the 5-6th year in a row.

So in summary, there's no evidence. Just blind faith. And that's ok, I sort of admire the fact that through all the crap we've dished up thus far under Mary's tutelage that you can still imagine there's a chance he comes good. But yeah, just thinking your original sentence shouldn't have been 'I think Mary can coach' - more like 'I hope Mary learns how to coach'.

Not that I'm telling you what to say ;-)

Minh

First Grade
It's ok Benny V but just let it be. There are enough anti Mary guys to support your case so you are in the majority.

giboz71

First Grade
Recruitment and coaching go hand in hand. it would be pretty hard for a coach to implement his structures unless he knew he had the players to execute them. In this sense, he needs to be accountable for recruitment.

This is where I cut Mary a bit of slack, as the key members of his squad (Dugan, Benji, Widdop, Thompson, Frizell) are all Price signings. And I challenge anyone to argue that Price knew wtf he was doing as a head coach.

I still think we have an incorrect mix of players, all with individual strengths, but collectively as a team, they just don't get it done (our spine being a prime example).

And I agree it will take a coach with more nous than Mary to turn this group into real contenders.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Recruitment and coaching go hand in hand. it would be pretty hard for a coach to implement his structures unless he knew he had the players to execute them. In this sense, he needs to be accountable for recruitment.

This is where I cut Mary a bit of slack, as the key members of his squad (Dugan, Benji, Widdop, Thompson, Frizell) are all Price signings. And I challenge anyone to argue that Price knew wtf he was doing as a head coach.

I still think we have an incorrect mix of players, all with individual strengths, but collectively as a team, they just don't get it done (our spine being a prime example).

And I agree it will take a coach with more nous than Mary to turn this group into real contenders.

I agree with this sentiment completely, our team (and in particular our spine) his horribly unbalanced. We have some really good individual players however they just don't seem to compliment each other.

TruSaint

Referee
NOt sure if you listened to it, but the interview that NRL Market Watch had with Ian Willward directly contradicts the first bonded part above. Mary has a big hand in identifying players to recruit and is also considered as a selling point for our team. Not really any wonder we can signed players!

Refer to his contract appointment when he was offered 1 year, and then changed to 3 years on the proviso he does not have full say on recruitment.Also refer his his last few interviews, re Benji, where he clearly says I have left that with recruitment.

As for shitting on other Sydney clubs...really?! Like who?! Parra, Wests and Manly? That's hardly most! Souths and Roosters are having a poor year this year but considering their off-field state and record in the past few years, anyone would struggle to put us above them in any department other than quality of fans (Roosters still far more desirable than us as evidenced by the Keary saga). Penrith are a team/club very much on the rise and considering the youngsters they have coming through, are very much in line to be a Top 4 contender for years. Sharks speak for themselves. Dogs, while inconsistent, blow us away on and off the field. So that's 3 we 'shit on' (although it's very arguable that we are simply in the same class as them) and 5 that shit on us from a great height...

I was talking about where we sit now... June 2016... not where Souths were or maybe. Lets see if your so called power Sydney Clubs live up to scratch, without any " questionable deals".Time will tell I guess. [/U]

I hope you see the irony of saying 'let's keep it on topic' when all I'm asking for is some shred of evidence, anywhere, that Mary is a competent coach, let alone the coach to rebuild our team for the 5-6th year in a row.

I have called for Marys replacement for over 1 month. Just give me a viable option right now. Toovey is entrenched in media, and Cleary does fill me with hope. Let me know when Bellyache is available. [/U]

So in summary, there's no evidence. Just blind faith. And that's ok, I sort of admire the fact that through all the crap we've dished up thus far under Mary's tutelage that you can still imagine there's a chance he comes good. But yeah, just thinking your original sentence shouldn't have been 'I think Mary can coach' - more like 'I hope Mary learns how to coach'.

Not that I'm telling you what to say ;-)

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Agree with him or not but I don't think Minh deserves that you dipshit.

Minh is too civil and classy to reply to such a post.

Seems this place is so divided, with no middle ground and no respect. Not that's its a prerequisite LOL.

Its an open forum, so that being the case... yes duck nailed it.

Apologist / call me what you will.

This place is deteriorating quickly.

Saintsified

Bench
I'm one of the few who is of the opinion that Mc gregor can coach, he is as good as any of the other middle tier coaches IMO. The thing I am very critical of him is that he has failed to blood more juniors and not giving a kid like Jack a shot was just plain stupid.....I dont want to be like Newcastle with a team full of young players but surely there needs to be more opportunity for the young guns....

Is only stupid cause Bird did well, Hastings on the other hand not so well. The rest I agree.

Latest posts