What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird: "I wouldn't be here if I hadn't left the Dragons."

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Bird has got to very lofty heights very quickly after joining the Sharks and that is not the case for Tyson so your argument is not a fair comparison.

The journalist also twist the question to get the response they are looking for and lets face it they aren't dealing with sharpest tools in the shed are they.

The last point is Jack Bird is telling the truth and exposing us for what we are and that hurts so admonishing Bird is not the answer its just a cop out.

But you told me last week, you believe the journalists and what they write.
Which one is it?

'When you can positively refute the papers version of events let me know'

Old Timer

Coach
You really do have issues interpreting things

I made a response to people's assertions as to what players are paid as against what is reported by the media

In light of no one saying they had absolute proof of the numbers I then said the journalists version cannot be discounted

In respect of this thread I said the journos twist questions to get certain outcomes

You then draw some synergy between the two and come up with a statement that I believe all things journo's say is true

I have never said any such thing, so if you are not in journalism you should consider it because you have distorted the truth

Old Timer

Coach
Be careful jubilee he'll call you a dick head and a wanker.

Glad to see you guys are a tag team and watching out for each other

You would have gone well on Ch 9 wrestling on a Saturday with Mike Cleary and Jim Little

Trouble is you haven't woken up from the Sleeper Hold

giboz71

First Grade
Ego is when you take pride in qualities you don't have. Bird talks the talk and he walks the walk. I like him. I'd like him even better in the Red V.

No matter how we choose to paint the subject, the painful truth here is that management and coaches got this one very wrong.

Spot on mate.

After he won a game against the Roosters in his starting debut, I was convinced he was a future Origin player. Even shocked me how soon this happened. Thought it would likely be next year.

Makes me laugh now the amount of people on here that thought that losing him was no big deal.:roll::roll:

Old Timer

Coach
Spot on mate.

After he won a game against the Roosters in his starting debut, I was convinced he was a future Origin player. Even shocked me how soon this happened. Thought it would likely be next year.

Makes me laugh now the amount of people on here that thought that losing him was no big deal.:roll::roll:

Gotta love how some people say he is ours, we developed him bla bla

All bullshit he belongs to Cronulla and they in fact developed him by getting him into first grade

All we did was let go a reserve grader with no real potential if you look at it logically LOL

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
- hope a marquee player we need stuffs up in the offseason, has their contract torn up and has no viable options except us.
Well it's worked before. Why wouldn't it happen again.

With respect to letting Jack Bird go, you can't keep all your juniors, and we did have Nathan Green on the books at the time.

Saintsified

Bench
True , Saintsified. It's the sore loser in me coming out seeing Bird play so well and I am liking him more and more as a player....

Yeh same, but we cant cry over split milk either, players will always come and go, but we let Bird and Hastings go and kept Aitken who i believe sits in between them as far as performances so far go, but i reckon Aitken will be the best by the time they retire, got a feeling Bird peaking now but health is an issue it seems, Aitken will get better and better, jury is still out on Hastings i feel...there are more.

Country Dragon

Juniors
Yeh same, but we cant cry over split milk either, players will always come and go, but we let Bird and Hastings go and kept Aitken who i believe sits in between them as far as performances so far go, but i reckon Aitken will be the best by the time they retire, got a feeling Bird peaking now but health is an issue it seems, Aitken will get better and better, jury is still out on Hastings i feel...there are more.

I'd hate to go against the grain, but I reckon Milne is a better centre prospect than Aitken.
That should get some responses around here!

Saintsified

Bench
I'd hate to go against the grain, but I reckon Milne is a better centre prospect than Aitken.
That should get some responses around here!

He may be, but point is we cant keep em all, the junior development side of things allows f**k all concessions....you just gamble on which ones you want to keep and let go.:D

rasaint

Juniors
Country Dragon I don't disagree. Euan gets the big talk up here on the forum and plenty of forgiveness for his shortcomings. Not bagging him but he has been outplayed (example Goodwin) and out jumped a number of times this year. I don't see him being more than a good solid NRL centre, who occasionally crashes over for a try.

Won't base anything on Milne till he actually plays some first grade and to be honest he probably won't be at the Dragons.

j0nesy

Bench
This is quite an indictment on our head coach. I'm not one of these anti-Mary guys but he should have given Bird a go in the centres and wing and , when Dugan or Widdop were injured, at fullback and 5/8th. Mary is far too conservative and defence minded in his selections. This year I believe he is giving Lafai too much of a run at the expense of guys like Milne and Mann. Glad to see Host given a go this week though, surely he's a better long-term prospect than Marketo or even Matthews.

Uplifting

Juniors
Agreed. I can't believe his giving young Host a go. Atleast he's being given a chance to develop. The earlier the better I reckon. This approach of giving young prospects a go 'when they're ready' doesn't always work out for various reasons - also this is when you're hungry, creative, cohesive - all the better to harness these qualities in the top grade with the players you look up to!

Lovemedragons

Juniors
This is quite an indictment on our head coach. I'm not one of these anti-Mary guys but he should have given Bird a go in the centres and wing and , when Dugan or Widdop were injured, at fullback and 5/8th. Mary is far too conservative and defence minded in his selections. This year I believe he is giving Lafai too much of a run at the expense of guys like Milne and Mann. Glad to see Host given a go this week though, surely he's a better long-term prospect than Marketo or even Matthews.

Is it possible that Lafai has a 'must play first grade' clause in his contract and Mann doesn't??
Only way I can explain it.