What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field contender for halfback spot

BennyV

Referee
Agreed. But as it stands, Mann doesn't have a guaranteed start in the side. Nene's been brought in to play wing, Aitken has a centre spot locked up given his new deal, and we still have Milne and Lafai to fight it out for the other centre spot. Dugan as well is likey a centre option.

From all reports, McCrone and Field are the front runners to play alongside Widdop in the halves. Seems Mann is likely going to miss out?

I haven't seen enough of Dufty to make an assessment . But Fields support play from the highlights against the Tigers has fullback stamped all over him. And Mann looked pretty good in the halves. I just think the confidence he gained last year scoring plenty of tries on the wing, Mann is likely to rise to the next level this year. He needs to be in the side somewhere. And 5/8 is likely his best position.

But at the same time, Field is such a rare talent, he needs to be there too. With Dufty being injured, Field may just sneak in ahead of him in the fullback pecking order.
That would involve someone having some sort of foresight to to put him in at fullback in NSW Cup, which I cannot see happening at this stage.

Dragon66

Juniors
I understand all the concerns about promoting Field to early, but in my view the game has changed.

When was the last time, other than Origin, did anybody see a player been "rag dolled " on the field.

The modern game is based on Power Forwards and Speed.
Keeping penalties to a minimum is a key KPI to victory.
I am convinced that we now have a forward pack that will mix it with the best, and be able to lay a platform on which Field and the backline will be able to get set and be able to convert opportunities to points.

The only issue is around Mary's gameplan. Keeping Field in a defensive position with strong defensive players like Dugan, if he plays centre, and Simms, for example, around him to cover his possible defensive deficiencies. And at this stage Field's defence is still an unknown. He may yet surprise in that department we just haven't seen enough yet to make a judgement.

The important thing about Field is that he can make something out of nothing, and in my opinion, outscoring the opposition,because their is no doubt most quality NRL sides are point scoring machines, with equally impressive defence. The more points you score the less defence you do, basic but true.

I'm like everybody else - I would feel more confident in Field's elevation to the 1st if he was under a better quality coach.

Dragon66

Juniors
This just a side note, but it's interesting to note the critics that put together their Top 17 Dragons side for 2017 with Josh McCrone at half - they then go on to tip us to end up around 15th spot.

Just saying! - but I think I agree with them.

ALSGI

Bench
I understand all the concerns about promoting Field to early, but in my view the game has changed.

When was the last time, other than Origin, did anybody see a player been "rag dolled " on the field.

The modern game is based on Power Forwards and Speed.
Keeping penalties to a minimum is a key KPI to victory.
I am convinced that we now have a forward pack that will mix it with the best, and be able to lay a platform on which Field and the backline will be able to get set and be able to convert opportunities to points.

The only issue is around Mary's gameplan. Keeping Field in a defensive position with strong defensive players like Dugan, if he plays centre, and Simms, for example, around him to cover his possible defensive deficiencies. And at this stage Field's defence is still an unknown. He may yet surprise in that department we just haven't seen enough yet to make a judgement.

The important thing about Field is that he can make something out of nothing, and in my opinion, outscoring the opposition,because their is no doubt most quality NRL sides are point scoring machines, with equally impressive defence. The more points you score the less defence you do, basic but true.

I'm like everybody else - I would feel more confident in Field's elevation to the 1st if he was under a better quality coach.
Well said, spot on IMO !

betcats

Referee
Bevan French is 181cm 83kgs so let's
not be too backward and cautious in promoting ability.
French playing on the wing or at FB doesn't have to worry about having forwards run at him all game. 8kg of muscle is fair difference tbh, but I agree you shouldnt just write him off for the year on his size alone. Try the kid out in the trials and see how he goes.

Glenn01

Juniors
Just my opinion but the best way to learn is from your mistakes and when under pressure

Understand it may prove too much for a 19 year old but if you're good enough you're old enough
Maybe you are right. I guess there are pro's and cons both ways. If he is already way better than our havles options, I would agree that he should be in the team. If he is about the same I think it's better slowly introducing him to first grade.

mickeylane

Bench
I would be very very surprised if Field doesn't start in Round 1.. He's the most potent strike player I have seen period since Ben Barba had his freakish season w Bulldogs!

borat

Bench
I would be very very surprised if Field doesn't start in Round 1.. He's the most potent strike player I have seen period since Ben Barba had his freakish season w Bulldogs!

Well he will get his opportunity this weekend to see if his u20's and 9's form translates to first grade. If he has a blinder he should get picked but if its so so I certainly wouldn't blame Mary going for a more experienced head in the halves.

Lethal25

Juniors
Listened to the pregame chat from the supercoach, can only see Field getting opportunity when the game is done no matter who wins.

No chance he brings him on when the match is tight, waste of time having him on the bench especially when it's likely to be a quagmire.

Hope he does get a decent crack at it though, will be a nice change from seeing the boring footy offered up for the last five years

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Field is looking more and more like a fullback the more I see of him. Potentially like a Morgan who can switch between the 2.

I know all the wraps have been on Dufty at FB, but Field at FB could allow us to put Mann at 5/8 who with Hunt could be a very good halves combination.

Spot on.

getsmarty

Immortal

Yep and Mary will probably leave him on the Bench until the last 10 mins. Hope I'm wrong.