What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson Announcement

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Thommo was on about 450k here and will be on about 600k at Manly.
That's a 33% pay rise for 2018.
Even if only for 2 years he has increased his earning for those 2 seasons quite significantly considering he was not contracted for 2019.

possm

Coach
I hope that after all is sorted out , he is able to stay at the Dragons . He is as tough as teak and he could be the ' cement ' filling , in one hell of a forward pack !
I think the reason for agreeing to Thompson's release is:

1. We needed to provide space to bring through younger, less expensive juniors.
  2. We could not offer Thompson the same terms as Manyly were offering.

So fI doubt we would bring him back, the boat has sailed.

Gareth67

First Grade
I had misunderstood the true situation gents , in as much as , that he was still officially a Sea Eagle ( because of their cap dramas ) , however after reading the posts after mine , I now realise that he has indeed gone . That plus , as already said by others , the juniors will now have their opportunity to secure a 1st grade position .

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
I believe the Dragons have done a good job recently by extending the contracts a lot of talented of juniors. We now have some really good forwards ready to step up to first grade.

With the utmost respect to Thommo, he left on his own accord, which is fine but if his contract falls through I think we don't take him back. Our forwards are very solid and there are minimal opportunities so Thommo leaving creates a small opportunity for these really good junior forwards coming through.

SBD82

Coach
I was ok with thommo leaving. I thought the club had his position covered and he was doing what was best for his family.

BUT...

Geez it's hard to see someone who I admire and respect so much playing in a f**king manly jumper. f**k manly.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I was ok with thommo leaving. I thought the club had his position covered and he was doing what was best for his family.

BUT...

Geez it's hard to see someone who I admire and respect so much playing in a f**king manly jumper. f**k manly.

Well, they have an ex Dragon as a coach, so may as well have some players, too.
Heck ............... its Manly, nothing changes.
We all buy players.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I also did not have a problem with Thomo going as I thought there was a plan in place to replace him.
From what I saw last night we really need him on our left edge as our defence on that side is a real concern. With having Simms Lafai and McDonald on that side our lateral movement is terrible.
Mann needs to replace Lafai and Host in for Simms and he move to bench.

SEAT 1A

Bench

BUT...

Agree SBD82.

Good get though and hope he wears Dragon undies to keep the faith.

hewi

Bench
I loved this bloke playing for us and just wonder if he wishes he had never left for what would appear to be an absolute rabble at Manly. We have one spot remaining, love to see him return. Wishful thinking I know.

Latest posts