What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaysa or King

Hooker ootion

• Kaysa

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • King

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Both with one on bench

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
IMO having King and Prichard with Smith as a back up is sufficient coverage. Its a fine balance to ensure pathways are available for talent coming through or risk loosing them. Our team has survived the hooker injury crisis this year well enough.

We survive this year as we had 3 experienced hookers in our squad.

Smith isn't really a hooker, yeah he can play there but he is more of a back. He was in our side before king got a start but was never really considered as a starting option.

It also appears Smith is our 3rd string back up for fullback and potentially a halves option too, so he can't cover every position.

Who would be our hooker this week if king / Pritchard are injured ? I wouldn't want to risking our 20's hookers.

I don't think getting another hooker would block the path of any of our juniors. If they are good enough they will be promoted (see Dargan).

Additionally, our NSW cup side last weekend used a hooker that didn't even have an NRL contract, so the coaching trust must think our under 20 hookers may not be ready yet.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't believe King was originally part of this year's or last year's top 25

Yeah of course but he still had an NRL contract with the club.

I meant assuming King comes in our top squad, I reckon BA would probably still be looking for another hooker for our squad (whether that's top 25, top 30 or second tier)

Gazzamatta

Coach
All good points guys. I guess we will see.
I know we generally recruited well but not having one player elegible for "Rookie of the Year" is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion. Bred not bought.

Bazal

Post Whore
All good points guys. I guess we will see.
I know we generally recruited well but not having one player elegible for "Rookie of the Year" is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion. Bred not bought.

All it means is that our NRL level players stayed fit enough, and we had enough depth that we didn't need to blood a rookie

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Bred not bought.

This cliche needs to go. Say if Marata Niukore debuted for us this year he would have been eligible for ROTY but we bought him from the warriors. Even if Reed does debut next year and is in-line for ROTY honours does that mean we bred him? Of course not we brought him over from the Dogs.

We have a fair few players currently in our junior rep teams that have been brought in from other districts. Sure we developed them from an early age but they'll always be a local from somewhere else.

The only question that should matter is "Are they in our squad or not?"

Gazzamatta

Coach
Fair comments. Im just a fan of kids having an opportunity to progress through the grades. I know its a balancing act and im also aware that our junior development was somewhat hampered over the past seasons meaning we had a gap and maybe thats all it is.

hindy111

Post Whore
But Mahoney plays approx 60 minutes at hooker with Denzal then playing lock. So whilst Denzal is our starting hooker I'd say that Mahoney is our #1 dummy half currently in the 20's.

And in 60 mins Mahoney leads the tackle count in under 20s. Thats impressive.

I reckon BA is of opi ion Maho ey will be ready by 2019 so may squeeze a year from King and Kaysa.
Lichaa on a 2 yr deal could be good though. Mahoney off bench in 2019 if he keeps improving.

hindy111

Post Whore
Bringing a guy in under 20s means ypur still taking a punt and developing. How many 18yld hot shots dont make it.
Easier to buy a guy when 20. A much safer bet.

Niakuore sounds more like a project player. One warriors didnt care if lost.

You have guys like Tyrone peachey. Made his first grade debut at penrith but still cost decent $$ as was killing it in reserves. But guys like Latu and Mansour panthers took a risk on and it paid off.
Same can be said with Gutherson. He may not be our junior but we took a punt on him. He only had 8 first grade game prior and a knee reco.
Along with Manu, KE and Semi. We molded them into the players they are now.

So where does that leave a Ropana? Doubt many clubs wanted him. To me was just an average player. Raiders took a punt and turned him into a first grade star.

I like signing guys like this almost as much as a jnr coming through. Big name signings for mine well half the time dont work out and I always feel like they sold put on the club that made them.
Woods, Tedesco will be known as tigers. Moses being so young I guess will be known as an eel if stays long term but he made his name at the tigers.

nackers

Juniors
I don't think pritchard will play again this year unless king is injured. Have him training and ready for a return but don't risk him unless needed.

Gazzamatta

Coach
No doubt Scott will replace Gower tonight. Should Kaysa get a run it would be at the expense of Vave. With NSW Cup now finished I would think Vave would need to play to be of any use in the finals given his fitness yet Kaysa needs some game time to ensure he is ready if required.
The answer is a pineapple.

84 Baby

Referee
'Bred not bought' is the sort of thing that people used to say in 1964.
I still say it. About my slaves. f**king heaps cheaper. Although then you got to deal with one of them whining "I don't think I can carry you in the rickshaw, I'm 9 months pregnant"

84 Baby

Referee
I don't think pritchard will play again this year unless king is injured. Have him training and ready for a return but don't risk him unless needed.
Listen to the man. He only averages about 5 posts a year so you know when he does, he's serious