What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi Train on Squad

ozbash

Referee
A total of 11 Vodafone Warriors players have today been named in the train-on squad to prepare for the Kiwis’ one-off Test against the Kangaroos in Perth next month and the Four Nations in England to follow.

Seasoned internationals Simon Mannering, Issac Luke, Thomas Leuluai, Manu Vatuvei, Ben Matulino and Shaun Johnson headline those named.

Also included are second rower Bodene Thompson, fullback/centre David Fusitu’a, utility Tuimoala Lolohea, centre Solomone Kata and prop Sam Lisone.

Thompson was in New Zealand’s title-winning 2014 Four Nations squad but didn’t make an appearance. Fusitu’a, Lolohea and Kata have all played Test matches for Mate Ma’a Tonga while Lisone has represented Toa Samoa.

This time last year Lolohea and Kata were among just five Vodafone Warriors included in the train-on squad for the end of season tour to England. Leuluai, Vatuvei and Johnson were all ruled out with serious injuries.

The first batch of players named in the train-on squad was selected from the eight clubs which failed to qualify for the NRL finals starting this week.

In all 23 players have been named .

Others yet to play for the Kiwis are Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake, Roosters forward Isaac Liu, Wests Tigers centre Tim Simona and Parramatta centre Brad Takairangi.

Liu, Takairangi and Thompson have been part of Kiwis squads before, without actually taking the field.

The wider squad currently consists of 36 players and will be named in instalments as their teams drop out of NRL premiership contention over coming weeks. The size of that squad will also fluctuate, depending on injuries and other unavailabilities that arise.

Several Kiwis regulars are already ruled out through injury and other factors, including Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Peta Hiku, Dean Whare, Kieran Foran and Kodi Nikorima.

A final travelling squad of 24 will be named during the week after the NRL Grand Final on October 2.

The first group of Kiwis train-on players named is:

KIWIS | 2016 TRAIN-ON SQUAD

Manly | Lewis Brown, Addin Fonua-Blake, Martin Taupau

Parramatta | Manu Ma'u, Brad Takairangi

St George Illawarra | Jason Nightingale

Sydney Roosters | Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Isaac Liu, Sam Moa, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Vodafone Warriors | David Fusitu’a, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Thomas Leuluai, Sam Lisone, Tuimoala Lolohea, Issac Luke, Simon Mannering, Ben Matulino, Bodene Thompson, Manu Vatuvei

Wests Tigers | Tim Simona, Elijah Taylor

JJ

Immortal
Surprise Maumalo not's there, form doesn't seem to be a factor

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Sam Lisone? Hope he makes it no where near the team.

Hope Tui and Muts go great, they need to get a bit of their Mana back and the Kiwis is a great place to find it.
Yeah, hoping Shaun pulls out and has a bit of a break to be honest. We'll be better off for it in the long run, Warriors and Kiwis (WC year next year)

Burns

First Grade
Thoughts on JWH? Will he get a run, has it fixed relationship with Kearney?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
KIWIS | 2016 TRAIN-ON SQUAD Lewis Brown, Addin Fonua-Blake, Martin Taupau, Manu Ma'u, Brad Taikarangi, Jason Nightingale, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Isaac Liu, Sam Moa, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, David Fusitu’a, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Thomas Leuluai, Sam Lisone, Tuimoala Lolohea, Issac Luke, Simon Mannering, Ben Matulino, Bodene Thompson, Manu Vatuvei, Tim Simona, Elijah Taylor

Of the players THERE, Id go..
1. Fusitua
2. Kata
3. Simona
4. Taikarangi
5. Kenny-Dowell
6. Leuluai
7. Johnson
8. Warea-Hargeaves
9. Luke
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Taupau
13. Mannering

14. Lolohea
15. Mau
16. Fonua-Blake
17. Taylor

jaseg

Juniors
Junior Paulo plays for the Raiders and is playing finals footy, he wasn't up for selection in this initial squad.

How did Lisone get picked and Vete not? Injury?

And yeah, Sue should probably be in the train-on squad (certainly over some of the guys who DID get selected), even if he's got no chance at the actual 24 or whatever the final squad number is, short of an injury crisis in the middle stocks.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Absolutely filthy that Lisone was named in the squad. His form in no way shape or form deserves it, and there's a high likelihood it'll go to his head. Hey look at me I'm in the Kiwis squad, I don't need to get any better.

Sue is 100x the player he is. As is Seumanafagai. No idea how they missed out to the walking penalty/error machine.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
As is Seumanafagai. No idea how they missed out to the walking penalty/error machine.
Ava quietly goes about his work. Carts it up well and makes his tackles strongly. Maybe too quiet for Kearneys liking but yeah, compared to Lisone, Lisone just make way more errors.

Big Marn

Juniors
Absolutely filthy that Lisone was named in the squad. His form in no way shape or form deserves it, and there's a high likelihood it'll go to his head. Hey look at me I'm in the Kiwis squad, I don't need to get any better.

Sue is 100x the player he is. As is Seumanafagai. No idea how they missed out to the walking penalty/error machine.

Its all part of a cunning plan. Kearney wants to see what sort of players he will inherit if he decides to accept the Warriors position. Not a bad idea really. Try before you buy.

JohnDoe

Juniors

100% agreed on both points. Would love for the Warriors to pick up Seumanufagai quality footballer and wouldn't break the bank to sign.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Not really that interesting - just true. Kata shouldn't be in the Kiwis.
Thats what I find interesting is he might be playing for the Kiwis but some question his eligibility or in your case, its a closed book and you feel he shouldnt be playing. Its our very own Radradra situation and I feel he should be able to play.

Latest posts