What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lay of the land

Shredder

Juniors
But how do you define overs?
If another club is willing to match it, then its not overs.

Teddy is in the top echelon of his position in the game and he plays a key position -

I just dont understand how you define overs.

Especially when you say you are OK with McQueen and we had to beat his current offer by 35%.

Tiger05

First Grade
Here is thing Shredder. Other clubs aren't paying it. It's all heresay. We don't have to play that game. We should do exactly what the Titans did with McQueen. We offer a good offer and if they want to go they can go. We then go and spend those funds in a way that we believe we can get better value.

At the moment we have statements that are simply dumb like Woods being offered $1m to go to Canterbury. At that price it's see you later. Do we have a contract from the roosters for Teddy for $1.2 million. How are they going to fit him into the cap ?

We have been overplaying payers and it has been screwing us over. We need to stop it.

Shredder

Juniors
We can only go off the press reports mate.

And honestly, if they arent offering at least close to what we did (and our offers have been documented by the club) why would they leave?

According to you there are no isses with the facilities, the board or the coaches.

So, they are human beings - and common sense prevails - if we are the same as every other club, YOU tell us all why you think they all want to leave.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
With talk of Reynolds visiting the Sharks facilities I wonder if the Sharks might let Maloney go early so as to make Reynolds fit.

Unless they are planning to lose Townsend.

Either way, they have to make room if they want reynolds

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is thing Shredder. Other clubs aren't paying it. It's all heresay. We don't have to play that game. We should do exactly what the Titans did with McQueen. We offer a good offer and if they want to go they can go. We then go and spend those funds in a way that we believe we can get better value.

At the moment we have statements that are simply dumb like Woods being offered $1m to go to Canterbury. At that price it's see you later. Do we have a contract from the roosters for Teddy for $1.2 million. How are they going to fit him into the cap ?

We have been overplaying payers and it has been screwing us over. We need to stop it.
We have been overpaying the wrong players.

Tiger05

First Grade

And honestly, if they arent offering at least close to what we did (and our offers have been documented by the club) why would they leave?

According to you there are no isses with the facilities, the board or the coaches.

So, they are human beings - and common sense prevails - if we are the same as every other club, YOU tell us all why you think they all want to leave.

I think they've been playing games to get the most amount of money they can out of us. To be fair to them I think their dickhead manager has been behind this and they are pretty freaken stupid and immature guys. One consequence of that has been Taylor getting sacked. Now they can't face what they've done and they are pissed off at the world.

I think it's basically as simple as they aren't as good as what they think they are and they are having problems facing that.

I am sure that things could be improved but it's not bad. Don't fall for their bullshit.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Primary reason these simpletons want to leave is Isaac the lowlife swindler moses has polluted there infinitesimal minds.

Now that we have a sharpshooter like Ivan at the helm the toxic player manager has lost the ability to manipulate our dumbass board & CEO ! To think that these imbeciles rubber stamped a $3mill 3 yr offer for an impostor like Moses ! The mind boggles !!

Tiger05

First Grade
We have been overpaying the wrong players.

Definitely. Robbie was one of those players as was Brooks and Moses. I also think that Woods is another.

Robbie is gone. Brooks has signed a more reasonable contract and Moses is gone. Woods is the only one remaining.

I'll tell you what worst case is - resigning Woodsy on overs and losing Tedesco. If we sign Tedesco on overs I'm okay with it. If we get both that is great but hopefully not both on overs.

I'm starting to think that this is the wake up call that our team needs.

Tiger05

First Grade
Primary reason these simpletons want to leave is Isaac the lowlife swindler moses has polluted there infinitesimal minds.

Now that we have a sharpshooter like Ivan at the helm the toxic player manager has lost the ability to manipulate our dumbass board & CEO ! To think that these imbeciles rubber stamped a $3mill 3 yr offer for an impostor like Moses ! The mind boggles !!

Exactly.

I don't believe that there was a $1 million per year offer for Moses. That had to be bullshit.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely. Robbie was one of those players as was Brooks and Moses. I also think that Woods is another.

Robbie is gone. Brooks has signed a more reasonable contract and Moses is gone. Woods is the only one remaining.

I'll tell you what worst case is - resigning Woodsy on overs and losing Tedesco. If we sign Tedesco on overs I'm okay with it. If we get both that is great but hopefully not both on overs.

I'm starting to think that this is the wake up call that our team needs.
Farah wasn't on overs. He was getting some of his forfeited salary repaid. You know that.

Moses and Brooks were both on overs. Brooks accepted such by taking a moderate pay cut.

Lawrence took a pay cut as well in his last deal.

Tiger05

First Grade
Farah wasn't on overs. He was getting some of his forfeited salary repaid. You know that.

Moses and Brooks were both on overs. Brooks accepted such by taking a moderate pay cut.

Lawrence took a pay cut as well in his last deal.

I don't agree that Farah wasn't on overs. Look at the way he is playing now. He is good but to me Cook appears the better player. I bet he was getting paid like a big time player when he isn't. Lawrence signed for overs but he changed his contract and it's probably okay now.

I'm sure that Woods must also be on overs now. There is no other way our cap is so screwed up.

Clifferd

Coach
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read Brooks was on 600k. Glad he took the pay cut, it seems he's come out looking like the good guy and respects the club by doing this.

Tiger05

First Grade
600k for a guy who clearly isn't NRL quality is pretty darn good isn't it. What a waste of money. 550k at the moment is overs for sure.

The only thing is Brooks is likable and he may turn into a quality NRL player. He is miles off at the moment though.

Vozzy

Juniors
I think tedasco is a key signing aswell. I agree having him and woods on 1 million a year would deplete the rest of the squad. I would rather have tedasco at 1 million and go out and sign 3 big forwards who are willing to play for 1/3 of what woods wants. If we could get Matelino, Evans, kafusi from storm. Plus with macqueen sue ava aloiea that's 7 forwards on much less then Woods would be playing for that would do the same job.

If you watch our games on weekend we look good when Sue and Taylor are both on feild at same time. Sue runs hard with a quick play the ball and taylor has ball skills at the line.

I find with woods yes he makes a lot of meters but he is always niggling with opponent causing slow play the ball. He looks good stat wise but I don't think he is scary like a taumololo.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree that Farah wasn't on overs. Look at the way he is playing now. He is good but to me Cook appears the better player. I bet he was getting paid like a big time player when he isn't. Lawrence signed for overs but he changed his contract and it's probably okay now.

I'm sure that Woods must also be on overs now. There is no other way our cap is so screwed up.
Farah is on the second year of essentially a back ended deal that was designed to repay him for salaries he sacrificed when he was worth top dollar at the peak of his career.

His market value is around the 600k mark which, whether his form warrants it or not, is about right for the current Origin hooker of NSW.

Of course his form is poor. Lawrence's old contract was spot on when he signed it just after having played for Australia.

You can't help injuries that change a players form.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
600k for a guy who clearly isn't NRL quality is pretty darn good isn't it. What a waste of money. 550k at the moment is overs for sure.

The only thing is Brooks is likable and he may turn into a quality NRL player. He is miles off at the moment though.
In fairness though, how many times has his forwards given him the room to play with some freedom and create?

Clifferd

Coach

But when it's less than his previous contract, that's a step in the right direction. That's what I meant. Previous management were probably offering Brooks 800k+ would you have rathered that?

The salary cap goes up next year too, so realistically that 550k might b worth a 400k in the current ones. Think

Last edited:

WT Unity

Juniors
I could see Reynolds and Brooks combining well. I have full faith in the coach - what a strange feeling to have as a Tigers fan!
I agree on both counts... 1) Having Faith in the Coach and 2) That it is a funny feeling to have as a WT fan

WT Unity

Juniors
Bird is a tremendous player but he isn't the half for us. We need one over 25 with experience. Cleary has realised this hence getting rid of one of them.

I have no doubts we are going to go hard for Cronk, Foran or Josh Reynolds. If we fail on all of these I seriously think Cleary will go for Benji. Another one could be Hodkinson, if Newcastle get Bird they might be happy to let him go.
Agree with some of the others...No to Benji, it's over, it was great while it lasted and we'll always have 05...but there's no turning back....But sometimes at night...just before I fall asleep...I see the highlights reel from 2005 flash before my eyes...the game against Cronulla at Shark Park, the Semi finals against the Dragons (that try in the 1st half) and the Broncos and the magic flick pass in the GF