What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Least Favourite Warrior of All Time

Scorpio30

Bench
Zane Clark, Paul Whatuira & Ben Lythe - jointly hold the record for most first grade games played for the Warriors (5) without registering a win. Deserve to be on this list just for that.

Ben Lythe...final minute of play...just needs to kick the ball out of play for a Warriors win V Knights at Mt Smart...kicks with too much elevation instead of a grubber kick out. Billy Peden charges it down and runs 30m for a win to Newcastle...I think that was Bens last ever contribution....happy to be corrected

African Monkey

First Grade
Suprised Awen Guttenbeil has barely been given a mention. The guy lived off that 1 massive hit on Ned Catic for a while (before Adrian Morley buried him 6 feet under the next season), not to mention that he seemed to get driven back about 10 metres in every hit up.

Louis Anderson and Monty Betham seemed to have a competition between each other as to who could give away more penalties a game.

Rich102

Staff member
Suprised Awen Guttenbeil has barely been given a mention. The guy lived off that 1 massive hit on Ned Catic for a while (before Adrian Morley buried him 6 feet under the next season), not to mention that he seemed to get driven back about 10 metres in every hit up.

Louis Anderson and Monty Betham seemed to have a competition between each other as to who could give away more penalties a game.

Yeah strange that he and Monty are now the face of the club.
Monty as a media star and Awen on the Football Board.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
They're both not too bad with their commentary as well in regards to their insights and professionalism communication. Monty seems to share the views of so many. I like Barnett as well but I just go deaf when goes on about Ken Maumalo.

They're both better than former Crusaders Andrew Mehrtens and Justin Marshall.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

That's because being good at media and being a good player have nothing to do with each other. Monty was always good at the off field stuff, that's probably why he got the captaincy role. I heard he was a really good trainer as well, but unfortunately he was just one of those guys who got the red mist in front of his eyes once the whistle blew.
Awen has always come across as smart, well spoken and personable in media stuff too.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not that he is my least favourite Warrior at all, but Corey Lawrie, what a beauty. Just saw him mentioned in a Warriors FB page, still plugging away in Chch. There's a blast from the past.

Played 4 games in 2007, from memory was like a kid on Xmas when he made his debut. And managed to cop an almighty falcon v the Tigers (?) which his team-mates found as funny as anything they'd seen. Never seen again after that.

I went down to Dunedin to watch the pre-season game against the Broncos at the start of 2013. I was in a bar in the wee smalls when I happened to bump into Corey Lawrie. In retrospect it's probably weird that I could immediately recognise Corey Lawrie but I guess that's being a league nerd for you.

I asked him if he was who I thought he was and he responded in sort of a weirdly nonplussed way, as if he expected to be recognised. Not sure if it was ego or if he was just trying to get away from me as I was probably slurring incoherently.

Anyway, such an unlikely player in the modern era, a backrower debuting at age 27 who was the smallest bloke on the park and who other than his 4 NRL games never played at a higher level than 2nd division UK stuff.

auckwarriors

Juniors
Lawrie won our Rookie of the Year award in 2007 too - by default, as he was that year's only debutant. What a (bizarre) legend.

Meth

Staff member
I went down to Dunedin to watch the pre-season game against the Broncos at the start of 2013. I was in a bar in the wee smalls when I happened to bump into Corey Lawrie. In retrospect it's probably weird that I could immediately recognise Corey Lawrie but I guess that's being a league nerd for you.

I asked him if he was who I thought he was and he responded in sort of a weirdly nonplussed way, as if he expected to be recognised. Not sure if it was ego or if he was just trying to get away from me as I was probably slurring incoherently.

Anyway, such an unlikely player in the modern era, a backrower debuting at age 27 who was the smallest bloke on the park and who other than his 4 NRL games never played at a higher level than 2nd division UK stuff.

Surely, Lawrie would be suspicious about being recognised....as in, the last time somebody said "are you who I think you are", he said "yes, probably" and it turned out they thought he was the handyman who did their guttering.

Latest posts