What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leichhardt council to allow AFL to be played at Birchgrove Oval

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rugby League was shut out of Victoria, Sth Australia and Tassie for until the 90's.
I don't think shut-out is entirely the right phrase I'd use.

Especially considering touring test nations between the 1920's and 1980's would occasionally play tour games against South Australia and Victoria (Even Australia played a warm-up game against South Australia before embarking on their long boat journey to England.)

In the 1920's the VFL approached the NSWRL about drawing up plans for a hybrid game of the two codes that could be the national sport.

The NSWRL said no. That didn't stop games being played in Victoria, or Victoria from having its own competitions or rep games against other rep teams.

The NSWRL and ARL complete lack of interest in the game outside of NSW is what prevented League from taking off further. Admittedly, it was more focussed on taking the game further globally, until the NRL was born.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Go and get some newspapers from the 80's and before and see if you can find any decent coverage of league, any news reports on TV etc.

Go and get some newspapers from the 80's and before and see if you can find any decent coverage of league, any news reports on TV etc.

I was in Melbourne then Adelaide for the 1975 semis 5th place playoffs. I couldn't find the results in their papers at all. I had to ring home to find out the result of both matches.

AFL/VFL results have been in the Sydney papers for as long as I can remember.

Brutus

Referee
I was in Melbourne then Adelaide for the 1975 semis 5th place playoffs. I couldn't find the results in their papers at all. I had to ring home to find out the result of both matches.

AFL/VFL results have been in the Sydney papers for as long as I can remember.

Complete ignorance. I had that same problem in 1990 down in Melbourne. Nothing at all in the papers on the ARL semis. Had to buy the Australian to get a result.

I guess the same could have been said of the Sydney media's ignorance of the Brisbane RL comp.

docbrown

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-accused-of-exploiting-figures-20120723-22knq.html

THE NSW/ACT AFL has been accused of exaggerating its registered players in the Leichhardt municipality, calling into the question the sporting body's numbers across Sydney.
Before tonight's Leichhardt Council meeting to decide whether Australian football will be played on Birchgrove Oval, the district's sporting bodies were asked to provide certified evidence of their local numbers. The local AFL body, which in its original submission to the council claimed to have 1644 registered players, then reduced that figure to 238.

''It is really disturbing that a professional sporting body would use false statistics to gain access to junior sports grounds,'' said Leichhardt councillor Darcy Byrne, who has campaigned to keep the AFL off Birchgrove Oval. ''Given these revelations it would be plain wrong for hundreds of junior soccer players to be booted off their home ground to make way for the NSW AFL.
''There are now serious questions about how many local clubs across Sydney have lost their home grounds on the back of dodgy numbers.''

docbrown

Coach
Anybody surprised?

He's not the first government official to call the AFL liars on this issue and be proven right and he won't be the last either.

At the bottom of the article some NSW AFL PR gimp is trying to justify their lie by using school figures. It's already been shown previously that in NSW & QLD the AFL have used some Auskick numbers as part of their school participation rates to artificially beef up those numbers. These are kids who were required to play Auskick as part of a multi-week PE program and then get listed as a school participant even though they don't necessarily have a choice in the matter.

But honestly if the AFL are trying to reframe the argument and want to include school participants, then soccer & rugby league are just going to beat them even more. :lol:

Brutus

Referee
I'd like to hear Gavin Robertson's explanation of this.

Think of the amount of taxpayer funded dollars that have been thrown in the direction of the fumbleball mob on the back of rubbery figures.

Bob Carr, Anna Bligh, Ian McDonald and Kristina Keneally ought to be ashamed

Dresden Dan

Juniors
n a statement, the NSW/ACT AFL said that ''in the initial expression of interest, we used numbers that were taken from our registration using a postcode search that inadvertently included neighbouring suburbs that were not part of the Leichhardt Council LGA'', and that ''following the council's request for all applicants to resubmit their participant numbers, we discovered the discrepancy and amended our numbers accordingly''.

So from 1644 reduced to 238. Please tell us which neighbouring suburb has the other 1406? How could one Sydney suburb have 238 and the one next door have six times as many with 1406?

Suburbs Dan...

Still, the figures are laughable. The original was laughable because it was untrue to anyone with even a casual interest and the new figure is laughable because they're claiming that they have enough players to fill probably 12 AFL teams, all ages. The reality is probably more like 5 teams, all ages and they can basically be put down to ex-Victorians and their sprogs.

It's the tip of the iceberg with these pricks, they're better bullshit artists than Baron Munchausen...

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
So 200 in Leichhardt !!
Balmain DFC has 2,000 registered players by itself.
Throw in APIA and Leichhardt Saints, plus the Balmain Federation sides and there'd be near enough 4,000 soccer players compared to 200 singlet wearing victorian spastics playing village idiot ball

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
The ALP are a bit like the AFL. As the ALP used to spruke vote early and vote often, the AFLers espouse registering early and numerous times. I think they counted a few in their numbers who had the Maccas AFL extra value meal at Stanmore Maccas in their numbers. geniused spastics

The answer is a simple one, tell the Mexican cretins to f**k off and go play where there are AFL posts already. There's probably a set somewhere within 10k's that have never been used.

It probably depends on how much AFL are prepared to pay..