What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leigh or Catalans in Championship 2018

Who will win the Million Pound Game?

• Leigh

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Catalans

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Pommy

Coach
Yeah we have different opinions.

I want rugby league to succeed and grow.

You lot want it to go nowhere. Which is why it hasn't. 120 years and the "super" league will be nothing more than a regional comp that proves every stereotype about the game to be absolutely true.

The thing is I do, I just don’t believe rewarding failure is the way to do it.

Without p and r there wouldn’t be a second team in France or a team in Canada. You can’t say P and R is bad but then accept it’s rewards as a good thing also.

Rewarding failure? They're a financially viable club with bigger crowds than half the English clubs who have never gone into administration, never cheated the salary cap, have their own TV deal, have usurped union in their city and have produced players for themselves and others.

The whole English game is a failure. It has failed for 120 years to grow beyond the same handful of small towns. It's actually gone backwards in many ways. About the only thing it has done of any note is allow a French club into SL, which benefits it as much as anyone. And it's about to fail at that too. "The way to do it". Poms wouldn't know the first f**king thing about how to do it. There's 120 yeas of history that proves that.

jim_57

Staff member

Without p and r there wouldn’t be a second team in France or a team in Canada. You can’t say P and R is bad but then accept it’s rewards as a good thing also.

Sorry, you'll have to explain that to me. Both clubs are doing what they have to do to get to Super League, they didn't both waste a year in League 1 because of their love of Promotion & Relegation. In fact if P&R wasn't there they'd probably both be in Super League already.

Pommy

Coach
Where English league hasn’t grown out of a handful of towns Australian league hasn’t grown out of a single city.

Pommy

Coach
Sorry, you'll have to explain that to me. Both clubs are doing what they have to do to get to Super League, they didn't both waste a year in League 1 because of their love of Promotion & Relegation. In fact if P&R wasn't there they'd probably both be in Super League already.

You think they would have been voted straight in to the SL?

Where English league hasn’t grown out of a handful of towns Australian league hasn’t grown out of a single city.
Lying about Australia the way you lie about Catalans. Rugby league is the number one sport in NSW and Qld. Meanwhile SL is being dominated by a club from a town the size of Dubbo.

Pommy

Coach
Lying about Australia the way you lie about Catalans. Rugby league is the number one sport in NSW and Qld. Meanwhile SL is being dominated by a club from a town the size of Dubbo.

So you’re going to say that’s a lie and then try to compare Dubbo to a town surrounded by other towns which it also draws fans from as the same thing.

But a town the size of Dubbo is still doing better on the pitch than an entire nation of nearly 70 million people?

But but but the poms are picking on the French.

So you’re going to say that’s a lie and then try to compare Dubbo to a town surrounded by other towns which it also draws fans from as the same thing.

But a town the size of Dubbo is still doing better on the pitch than an entire nation of nearly 70 million people?

But but but the poms are picking on the French.
Dubbo has towns around it as well. Big deal. If Dubbo had a team in the NRL and was winning it the sport of RL would obviously have massive problems in this country.

And for you to bag off French RL at the same time as you support its future being nobbled by incompetent rfl administration is f**king appalling.

This is why the game there is so backward. It's a reflection of its so-called fans.

WireMan

Bench

The English game has grown to France, Canada, Australia and New Zealand...

Not sure why anyone is getting worked up now, the setup has been horrible at the top for years, it was only a matter of time before the bottom caught up.

I hope cats win because they are more interesting than Leigh but they are making a mess of things and keep bringing in garbage.
All they have to do to stay up is beat Leigh. If they can't do that, then in the rl world of winner takes all and the league doesn't matter then good bye.

WireMan

Bench

Look at the central coast, Perth, Ipswich, Wellington. If there was p & r in Australia then there could easily be nrl teams there instead of the news owned or nrl subsidised teams there is now.

Without p & r in Europe there would be no path to the top so the teams wouldn't exist in the form they do now.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Honestly the bigger joke will be when castleford inevitably lose tonight after beating all comers all year. 50 points after 30 games, 10 clear of 2nd place and will not be recognized as champions at the end of it.

If Catalans end up on the wrong end of it and don't then get promotion back within say 2 years i would say its good odds they won't last much longer than that in the RFL structure. The owner will probably have a fit of rage and pack the whole thing in by that point.

The structure is confirmed next year, but i still have a feeling it will change 2019

Pommy

Coach
Dubbo has towns around it as well. Big deal. If Dubbo had a team in the NRL and was winning it the sport of RL would obviously have massive problems in this country.

And for you to bag off French RL at the same time as you support its future being nobbled by incompetent rfl administration is f**king appalling.

This is why the game there is so backward. It's a reflection of its so-called fans.

I’m not bagging French RL you’re just being a princess because I have a different opinion to you.
I want Catalans to win but if an entire nation is going to be outdone by as you put it “a few pit towns full of merkins well they’re no hope anyway”
If it was up to me I would have straight P and R like football, none of this play off crap. It takes a special kind of crap for a SL team to get relegated in the play off format.

Still you blame the RFL administration for being incompetent but not the Catalans administration, the people who are actually to blame.
Catalans are not being harshly done by they are playing by the same rules as everyone else.

England isn’t Australia nobody has a divine right to be in the SL, you can moan all you want but your opinion doesn’t matter as you don’t have a stake in the game over there

The English game has grown to France, Canada, Australia and New Zealand...

Not sure why anyone is getting worked up now, the setup has been horrible at the top for years, it was only a matter of time before the bottom caught up.

I hope cats win because they are more interesting than Leigh but they are making a mess of things and keep bringing in garbage.
All they have to do to stay up is beat Leigh. If they can't do that, then in the rl world of winner takes all and the league doesn't matter then good bye.
Bullshit. It didn't grow to NZ or Australia at all. Professional rugby would have happened here regardless of the Northern Union's existence. It was nothing more than luck that the likes of Giltinan, Trumper, Messenger and co chose to use the NU rules. It could easily have decided on its own and created a completely different code...which is exactly what happened in Canada. As it was it was here that the name rugby league was used, otherwise the sport would still be called northern union. And based on the attitude of the game over there it might as well be.

I’m not bagging French RL you’re just being a princess because I have a different opinion to you.
I want Catalans to win but if an entire nation is going to be outdone by as you put it “a few pit towns full of merkins well they’re no hope anyway”
If it was up to me I would have straight P and R like football, none of this play off crap. It takes a special kind of crap for a SL team to get relegated in the play off format.

Still you blame the RFL administration for being incompetent but not the Catalans administration, the people who are actually to blame.
Catalans are not being harshly done by they are playing by the same rules as everyone else.

England isn’t Australia nobody has a divine right to be in the SL, you can moan all you want but your opinion doesn’t matter as you don’t have a stake in the game over there
And you can pretend to care about RL all you want but your attitude says otherwise. Don't ever f**king whinge about the state of international RL again, because you're complicit in it.

Look at the central coast, Perth, Ipswich, Wellington. If there was p & r in Australia then there could easily be nrl teams there instead of the news owned or nrl subsidised teams there is now.

Without p & r in Europe there would be no path to the top so the teams wouldn't exist in the form they do now.
More bullshit. There would not be expansion clubs in the NRL because it's a franchise based system and those clubs don't even exist.

And how the f**k do you think Catalans got to SL in the first place? It wasn't through promotion. In fact no expansion club has been elevated to SL via promotion. So that's crap. Historically the only path to the top for expansion clubs has been franchising.

jim_57

Staff member

IF those teams were to make it under P&R they would take another team's place. Who would we lose? Knights? Cowboys? Warriors? Eels? Is the NRL any better off? Is Super League better off with Leigh than Catalans? Problem is we would probably lose Warriors & Storm for Newtown & Wentworthville.

P&R is pure luck who you lose and who you get, RL isn't a big enough game to afford playing a game of chance with it's strongest assets.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
Bullshit. It didn't grow to NZ or Australia at all. Professional rugby would have happened here regardless of the Northern Union's existence.

The sport didn't grow to Nz or Australia? What?

Rugby league would be in Australia regardless of whether it existed or not? What?

Lucky it did exist or Australia would have union or its own code by now...

The sport didn't grow to Nz or Australia? What?

Rugby league would be in Australia regardless of whether it existed or not? What?

Lucky it did exist or Australia would have union or its own code by now...
You really don't know the history of the sport do you? Here's a hint, rugby league starting in Australia had not a single thing to do with poms at all.

WireMan

Bench
More bullshit. There would not be expansion clubs in the NRL because it's a franchise based system and those clubs don't even exist.

And how the f**k do you think Catalans got to SL in the first place? It wasn't through promotion. In fact no expansion club has been elevated to SL via promotion. So that's crap. Historically the only path to the top for expansion clubs has been franchising.

Well yes well done the nrl is a franchise system.
The discussion was about the likes of toulouse or Toronto having a path to super league with a p&r.

If the nrl had promotion from a second division then the likes of the teams I mentioned could go all our and earn a place at the top table instead of moaning in the expansion sub section.