What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua Re-Signs for 2 Years

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Leilua re-signs with the Red V
St George Illawarra have announced that Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua has extended his stay with the club for a further two seasons.

Leilua, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

The Hurstville United local junior made his NRL debut in 2016 and in 2017 earned Illawarra RLFC's Intrust Super Premiership Player of the Year award.

"Luciano is a player who has come through all of our junior ranks and we believe he's one of the most skilful player in our Top 30. Luciano is very important to us with his size and athleticism," Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

"2017 has been a real education year for Luciano. He was in a position where he had to learn the demands of playing outside the Under-20s and full-time training, and we really believe he's grown as a person as a result.

"His training this pre-season has been outstanding. There's been a complete physical and mental change about the way he goes about his business. We really believe 2018 is going to be a super year for Luciano."

While the 21-year-old didn't feature in first grade in 2017, he has four NRL games to his name and was excited to build on that next year.

"I'm very excited to remain with my junior club. I'm really stoked to be here and it means the world to re-sign," Leilua said.

"2017 was a rollercoaster year for me. I learnt a lot off the big boys while I continued learning my trade in the ISP. I wanted to return to pre-season training in good shape so I could give myself the best opportunity to play in the NRL in 2018."

The re-signing of Leilua is another boost for Red V following the signings of Hunt, James Graham, Jeremy Latimore, Mitch Allgood and Darren Nicholls for the upcoming season.

It the follows the likes of Gareth Widdop, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie and Cameron McInnes who have extended their deals with the Dragons over the past 12 months.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Watched a lot of Luciano last year. He went into the start of the year very overweight and it took a good half a season to get his weight under control. Has the obvious brilliance in attack but still needed work on his defence. In the last half of the year that improved dramatically and he ended up getting Illawarras player of the year.

Before pre season started he was doing extra work to make sure he was in front before pre season started. For him to re sign is a massive boost in confidence for McGregor and Millward as I thought he would wait until the middle of the year. Good times ahead with this kid!!

Belta

Juniors
Again we see evidence that the Dragons are putting a lot of emphasis the on resigning our youth. I'm glad the club are gambling on Leilua. Seems that his biggest hurdle is his motivation. It appers as though he has at his disposal alot of natural talent. As he matures he could be something special. I really hope he matures quickly and commits to working really hard THIS SEASON. All bears well for future years but in all honesty I hope we see him in our 17 in 2018. Could be a key area of improvement, adding something extra off the bench. As previously mentioned one of our real weaknesses last year.

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua re-signs with the Red V
St George Illawarra have announced that Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua has extended his stay with the club for a further two seasons.

Leilua, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

The Hurstville United local junior made his NRL debut in 2016 and in 2017 earned Illawarra RLFC's Intrust Super Premiership Player of the Year award.

"Luciano is a player who has come through all of our junior ranks and we believe he's one of the most skilful player in our Top 30. Luciano is very important to us with his size and athleticism," Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

"2017 has been a real education year for Luciano. He was in a position where he had to learn the demands of playing outside the Under-20s and full-time training, and we really believe he's grown as a person as a result.

"His training this pre-season has been outstanding. There's been a complete physical and mental change about the way he goes about his business. We really believe 2018 is going to be a super year for Luciano."

While the 21-year-old didn't feature in first grade in 2017, he has four NRL games to his name and was excited to build on that next year.

"I'm very excited to remain with my junior club. I'm really stoked to be here and it means the world to re-sign," Leilua said.

"2017 was a rollercoaster year for me. I learnt a lot off the big boys while I continued learning my trade in the ISP. I wanted to return to pre-season training in good shape so I could give myself the best opportunity to play in the NRL in 2018."

The re-signing of Leilua is another boost for Red V following the signings of Hunt, James Graham, Jeremy Latimore, Mitch Allgood and Darren Nicholls for the upcoming season.

It the follows the likes of Gareth Widdop, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie and Cameron McInnes who have extended their deals with the Dragons over the past 12 months.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/21/leilua-re-signs-with-the-red-v/

SEAT 1A

Bench
Watched a lot of Luciano last year. He went into the start of the year very overweight and it took a good half a season to get his weight under control. Has the obvious brilliance in attack but still needed work on his defence. In the last half of the year that improved dramatically and he ended up getting Illawarras player of the year.

Before pre season started he was doing extra work to make sure he was in front before pre season started. For him to re sign is a massive boost in confidence for McGregor and Millward as I thought he would wait until the middle of the year. Good times ahead with this kid!!

Thanks for passing on his pre season training dragonsman4eva. Can't do much more, he deserves it, well done Luc.

True_Believer

Juniors
Looks like coaching staff and himself recognised he was not ready for FG this year. I like his quotes about needing to address areas of fitness to prepare for FG. He sounds more mature and would love to see him get some game time in 2018. Good news!

Only the coaching staff and LL could possibly know if he was ready. I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Fantastic news luc is fitter than he has ever been.
Well done luc
Great news for him and the red v.
He will be tommos replacement.
We have such strength in the backrow.
With JDB, Frizz, thommo.
With sims host and luc.
That is right up there.
He is training the house down.
Keep it up luc.
First time I watched him play was when he was 13 or 14 with hurstville united.
Great to see him grow up.
The rugby league world is at his feet.
Hope he grabs it with both hands.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
This is only good news if he gets a decent shot at FG when the inevitable opportunity arrives.
Definitely a great strike option from the bench given the little seen of him in FG back in late 16.
Bench selection/rotation is probably our biggest upside if done right or an anchor that will weigh us down IMO.

Latest posts