What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at our depth for 2018

Rabbits20

Immortal
That sounds pretty accurate to me. Although I can't see Tracey missing out. We've stuck with him for so long we may as well see it through and give him a shot. I'd say taukamo is probably gonna be in there. Kennar is an interesting one too.. man it's tough to say!
Sorry to be negative but it's a pretty shit roster tbh with you.......

f**k.......

Let's compare it hey to another 12 teams and see where we rank!!!!

In fact I won't waste my time as I already know the clear cut answer....

Rabbits20

Immortal
God help Seibold........

Can he pull off a miracle!!!!!

I suggest he will age and age very quickly.............................

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Half of that squad or even a bit more than half of it really worries me Souths til Die.

Unless we get a good signing or 2 we are in trouble and that isn't a top 8 roster....

To the ones in fantasy land shall we compare this squad with all the others in the NRL?????????????? I shudder to think.........

We sit close to the bottom 4 with what we have......

With Seibold he could make a positive impact which pushes us up to 10th.

I just can't see finals to be brutally honest........

When we were successful in 2012, 13 and 14 we had good youngsters coming through but we had the back up quality depth you need at Norths..... currently I just don't see us having that depth or quality to be a top 8 squad......

An injury or 2 to good players and we are f**ked........

We have so so so many youngsters like Newcastle and that takes time!!!!!

Problem is if they get any better in time which some will and some won't they may chase money elsewhere and then you are back to square one....

You need the right balance and I just don't think we have that balance.........

I don't think our halves showed enough quality to lead around a finals team this year. I'm not too fussed about depth as if injuries hit then you're always screwed.

We just need a few breakout players tbh R20. I have a big question mark over our halves though! Our outside backs should improve dramatically this year as well.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

f**k.......

I wouldn't say shitty I would say inexperienced. A lot of those players have a lot of potential and I think it'll be interesting to see what Seibold can do with the squad by this time next year. I would be keeping an eye on Arthars if I was you R20 he was stuck behind Munster/Slater and we all know how good Munster is.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't think our halves showed enough quality to lead around a finals team this year. I'm not too fussed about depth as if injuries hit then you're always screwed.

We just need a few breakout players tbh R20. I have a big question mark over our halves though! Our outside backs should improve dramatically this year as well.
Well Jennings needs to learn how to hold the ball and tackle and that's a start....

Burns is so so dodgy under the high ball....

Graham needs to stop rushing in off his wing....

Rabbits20

Immortal
I wouldn't say shitty I would say inexperienced. A lot of those players have a lot of potential and I think it'll be interesting to see what Seibold can do with the squad by this time next year. I would be keeping an eye on Arthars if I was you R20 he was stuck behind Munster/Slater and we all know how good Munster is.
Ok well there could be some bright ones there mixed up with the shit........

I'm really excited for Arthars.

Wasn't he best U20's back in the whole comp????

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well Jennings needs to learn how to hold the ball and tackle and that's a start....

Burns is so so dodgy under the high ball....

Graham needs to stop rushing in off his wing....

Yeah these are all valid points but you can put these down to inexperience. Defending in the outside backs is the hardest that's for sure. The positive thing about all of them is that they have a lot of room to improve through training. Jennings can do some great stuff. A injury free pre season will do him a world of good. You're also right about graham. I think he panics a lot and I worried that Madge coached him into rushing in.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ok well there could be some bright ones there mixed up with the shit........

I'm really excited for Arthars.

Wasn't he best U20's back in the whole comp????

Yeah I think so. He is actually a fullback as well. He doesn't normally play centre. If GI does get injured it might be worthwhile playing Arthars there rather than moving around all the outside backs.

Curns13

Juniors

f**k.......

Who are all these great players that are playing reserve grade every week at other clubs? Without looking it up, who were the bench 4 for Parra? Or Manly? Or Penrith? It isn't 1971, you can't field a 2nd grade team filled with good to great talent. Our players 16 through to 30 are average to below average first graders, but thats the same at almost every club.

Here is a list of the guys who played for us in 2014, but not in the GF:
- Joe Picker
- Luke Burgess
- Nathaniel Neale
- Beau Champion
- Nathan Merritt
- Cam McInnes
- Ben Lowe
- Joel Reddy
- Bryson Goodwn
- Isaac Luke (what a travesty that was)

Of that group, Joe Picker, Nathan Merritt and Nathaniel Neale didnt play in the NRL ever again. Beau Champion played 2 more games for Parramatta and Ben Lowe and Joel Reddy played one more season. Those guys were all either not first graders anymore or never were.

Does that mean you really think we are missing a Luke Burgess and Cam McInnes? Our team is completely f**ked because we don't have the worst Burgess or a 21 yr old McInnes (that you have spent the last 3 years tearing down)?

We won a f**king premiership with way shittier depth than we have now! Get over it!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Who are all these great players that are playing reserve grade every week at other clubs? Without looking it up, who were the bench 4 for Parra? Or Manly? Or Penrith? It isn't 1971, you can't field a 2nd grade team filled with good to great talent. Our players 16 through to 30 are average to below average first graders, but thats the same at almost every club.

Here is a list of the guys who played for us in 2014, but not in the GF:
- Joe Picker
- Luke Burgess
- Nathaniel Neale
- Beau Champion
- Nathan Merritt
- Cam McInnes
- Ben Lowe
- Joel Reddy
- Bryson Goodwn
- Isaac Luke (what a travesty that was)

Of that group, Joe Picker, Nathan Merritt and Nathaniel Neale didnt play in the NRL ever again. Beau Champion played 2 more games for Parramatta and Ben Lowe and Joel Reddy played one more season. Those guys were all either not first graders anymore or never were.

Does that mean you really think we are missing a Luke Burgess and Cam McInnes? Our team is completely f**ked because we don't have the worst Burgess or a 21 yr old McInnes (that you have spent the last 3 years tearing down)?

We won a f**king premiership with way shittier depth than we have now! Get over it!
Great post

2014 Round 1 team list-

1 Greg Inglis
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Beau Champion
4 Bryson Goodwin
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Dylan Walker
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
9 Issac Luke
10 Sam Burgess
11 Chris McQueen
12 Ben Te'o
13 John Sutton (c)

Interchange
14 Ben Lowe
15 Joe Picker
16 David Tyrrell
17 Luke Burgess
18 Joel Reddy
19 Kyle Turner

2014 NRL Grand Final Team-

Rabbitohs
1 Greg Inglis
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dylan Walker
4 Kirisome Auva'a
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Luke Keary
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
21 Apisai Koroisau
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Ben Te'o
12 John Sutton (c)
13 Sam Burgess

Interchange
14 Jason Clark
15 Kyle Turner
16 Chris McQueen
17 Thomas Burgess

I've highlighted the players who weren't in the 17 for round one.

There's the depth that everyone is talking about.

Curns13

Juniors
2014 Round 1 team list-

1 Greg Inglis
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Beau Champion
4 Bryson Goodwin
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Dylan Walker
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
9 Issac Luke
10 Sam Burgess
11 Chris McQueen
12 Ben Te'o
13 John Sutton (c)

Interchange
14 Ben Lowe
15 Joe Picker
16 David Tyrrell
17 Luke Burgess
18 Joel Reddy
19 Kyle Turner

Rabbitohs
1 Greg Inglis
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dylan Walker
4 Kirisome Auva'a
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Luke Keary
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
21 Apisai Koroisau
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Ben Te'o
12 John Sutton (c)
13 Sam Burgess

Interchange
14 Jason Clark
15 Kyle Turner

16 Chris McQueen
17 Thomas Burgess

That doesn't change who we had from 1 - 27. We won a premiership with the 9 guys I listed as our 18 - 27th men. We had no depth that year either. If our round 1 team was our round 26 team, we wouldn't have won the comp, but we used those guys througout 2014 to get there.

That doesn't change who we had from 1 - 27. We won a premiership with the 9 guys I listed as our 18 - 27th men. We had no depth that year either. If our round 1 team was our round 26 team, we wouldn't have won the comp, but we used those guys througout 2014 to get there.

I see your point but if depth is an indicator of the up and coming players in our squad then our 2018 team is looking terrible as it stands.

If you looked at our round 1 2014 team you would say that it wasn't capable of winning a premiership, but then we had young blokes like Keary and Johnston that had a lot of hype around them and a lot of us were hopeful that if they cracked first grade that year, they would do a job and thankfully they did.

If you have good depth in the squad then your team should change over the 26 rounds and it should also improve as it does so, like we did in 2014.

I don't see our team doing that in 2018. All our big cards are already out on the table.

Curns13

Juniors
2014 Round 1 team list-

1 Greg Inglis
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Beau Champion
4 Bryson Goodwin
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Dylan Walker
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
9 Issac Luke
10 Sam Burgess
11 Chris McQueen
12 Ben Te'o
13 John Sutton (c)

Interchange
14 Ben Lowe
15 Joe Picker
16 David Tyrrell
17 Luke Burgess
18 Joel Reddy
19 Kyle Turner

Rabbitohs
1 Greg Inglis
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dylan Walker
4 Kirisome Auva'a
5 Lote Tuqiri
6 Luke Keary
7 Adam Reynolds
8 George Burgess
21 Apisai Koroisau
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Ben Te'o
12 John Sutton (c)
13 Sam Burgess

Interchange
14 Jason Clark
15 Kyle Turner

16 Chris McQueen
17 Thomas Burgess

Of the guys in bold: Clark was already an established first grader, Keary would have played round 1 if not for injury and Api should never have played in the GF. So in the starting side that leaves Some and AJ as the young guns who came through in 2014. They were great, but its only 2 guys, not a whole team of them.

Curns13

Juniors
I see your point but if depth is an indicator of the up and coming players in our squad then our 2018 team is looking terrible as it stands.

If you looked at our round 1 2014 team you would say that it wasn't capable of winning a premiership, but then we had young blokes like Keary and Johnston that had a lot of hype around them and a lot of us were hopeful that if they cracked first grade that year, they would do a job and thankfully they did.

If you have good depth in the squad then your team should change over the 26 rounds and it should also improve as it does so, like we did in 2014.

I don't see our team doing that in 2018. All our big cards are already out on the table.
To me, depth is players ability from 18 - 30 and our depth in 2014 with Reddy and Picker and Ben Lowe is no different to today. Our starting side is obviously worse than the GF team, but that's not depth. We don't have a depth problem like R20 keeps telling everyone, we have a talent problem. I would say that there are 3 guys stopping us from being a top 4 team. If GI plays like he's worth a million bucks and Reyno plays like he is a top 5 halfback (like he is being paid) and George plays like he is top 5 prop (like he is being paid), then we are right in there with some of the best.

SattlersJaw14

Juniors

f**k.......

God, you're so friggin negative, its truly depressing

SattlersJaw14

Juniors

Theres nothing wrong with the halves, we know how good Reynolds can play, we've seen him win a premiership, forget last year, consider him at his best, Seibold is not going to go out & do everything the same as last year, you can look forward to a different approach, something fresh, you have to believe that a change will bring a new dawn, i've said it before also that i'm looking forward to what Tracey can do when he finally gets on the paddock & also Doueihi, both should be raring to go

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Theres nothing wrong with the halves, we know how good Reynolds can play, we've seen him win a premiership, forget last year, consider him at his best, Seibold is not going to go out & do everything the same as last year, you can look forward to a different approach, something fresh, you have to believe that a change will bring a new dawn, i've said it before also that i'm looking forward to what Tracey can do when he finally gets on the paddock & also Doueihi, both should be raring to go

It's kind of hard to forget the most recent form though it is definitely worrying but I tend to agree. I think Reynolds still showed flashes of brilliance.