What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking back at the bottom 8

SBD82

Coach
Just wait until ponga hasn't gotten 20 dally m points after 2 games and read how doomed the club is and what a horrible decision that was.

Just getting out of the basement should be the main priority. With some of the stats over the last 2 seasons swapping gagai with someone who can tackle will make a huge difference in F/A. Somewhere around 10th or 11th isn't a huge ask.
A lot of their young blokes have made enormous progress this year if they can consolidate that next season I could easily see them scraping into the 8. If a few of them suffer second year syndrome it could get ugly.

NQ have probably helped their case with Ponga by not giving him a massive amount of 1st grade time this year. It's taken him out of the spotlight and there should be less pressure on him than if he was shining in their structures.

Clifferd

Coach
if knights make the 8 next year Nathan brown deserves coach of the year

Still a year too early imo

Canard

Immortal

They look to have improved but is there 8 teams that are going to be worse then the Knights next year?

Sometimes it's 2 steps forward 3 steps back for a club in rebuild mode, however.

SBD82

Coach

Yeah. Easily a prediction that could bite me on the arse.

There are a few teams that I think have the potential to move into the 8 next year: Canberra, tigers, Newcastle, (hopefully us too) but it's harder to see which teams will fall out. Even accounting for a bad run of injuries or a general shit year, it'd be odd to see a bunch of teams slide.

Clifferd

Coach
They look to have improved but is there 8 teams that are going to be worse then the Knights next year?

Sometimes it's 2 steps forward 3 steps back for a club in rebuild mode, however.

It's also very hard to go from wooden spooners to top 8 and any coach that can achieve that deserves the keys to the town of said club

Titans are too talented to be near the bottom of the ladder

Raiders will learn from this year and be better for it next year

Dragons I reckon are 8 certainties with or without mcwrecker

Tigers with a promising finish to the end of this year can only build and get better

The only teams I can rule out at this stage not making the 8 is knights warriors dogs and souffs basically. But what the f**k do I know

dogz08

First Grade
At this point, it doesn't even matter. History will look back on this as the Cowboys winning the battle, but the Broncos winning the War.

Unlike the Cows, the Broncs have a shit tonne of quality players that just exploded onto the scene who are all still fairly young, whereas the Cows are close to losing JT and Hannant to retirement, not to mention whatever players get poached off them now that they're premiership standard.

The Cows won their maiden premiership, congratulations to them and I'm happy to see them finally pop their cherry. However, there is a number of very good reasons why the Broncos are the favorites for next years premiership and probably the one after that as well.

How dare you be so presumptuous, IBM! Hunt might never recover from his GF blunder or Milf might break his leg under all that weight he put on in the off season....Yes anything can and will happen but after the performance this young team put on this year, the benefit of the doubt belongs to them only.

martielang

Bench
I like the Dragons for next year, i think they'll battle for the 4. For all the shit he cops, I think Hunt is a very good signing for them.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I like the Dragons for next year, i think they'll battle for the 4. For all the shit he cops, I think Hunt is a very good signing for them.

As a halfback you might be severely disappointed.

Still recon his best position is hooker.

SBD82

Coach
As a halfback you might be severely disappointed.

Still recon his best position is hooker.
You might be right, but I think he will suit the style of half that we need, not so much the style the broncos play.

And I doubt we'll be too disappointed. He doesn't have big shoes to fill. Josh McCrone is not exactly a world beater.

Travitoh

First Grade
Gareth Widdop will take on more responsibility than Milford does, relieving Hunt of a bit of pressure. I believe Dragons should go well next season.

Wests could go either way results wise. Performances did improve and i would expect that to continue but they are losing 2 of their best. It's a big turnover and while the replacements are good overall, they've not brought in anyone to replace the individual quality going out.

Souths have been punching below their weight and should push for a top 8 spot. Hopefully a new coach will help spark guys into life. Same with the Bulldogs.

Knights should be big improvers but the biggest downfall will be the lack of genuine experience and leadership in the group imo.

Titans appear to be a rabble, maybe it's just a Gold Coast thing.

Canberra were on the wrong end of a lot of close scorelines and should've played finals but i believe 2016 they were punching above their weight thanks to a couple of guys having career years. 5th to 8th should be about right.