What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai the tigepie.

But the pressure must be immense, this year. A success that will probably never be repeated in our lifetimes.
When you are top, there is always pressure; we want, and expect, to win.

I think last year was probably the most pressure given the historical significance of the threepeat. RL loves its nostalgia and so the ability to emulate the Eels was a big story. The irony is heading into this year and the ability to beat the Eels haven’t been as much as a story; last year it’s all the papers could talk about.

Another factor is we expect our chances next year to be similar to our chances in 2025 and beyond; 2024 is just another year in the window. In 2025 we are only set to lose Luai (who is a great player and I am not looking to dismiss him) at this stage and we have quality players coming through who can fit into the system and replace him. As long as our senior metre getters (the props, Edwards and To’o) don’t regress, the younger kids coming through and improving (Kenny, Tago, maybe Turuva if he doesn’t leave, Smith, Henry and a few that might break out from reggies) can fill the void and even improve the quality.

So don’t fret about the Panthers;) Just the right amount of pressure for our boys…

WA Tiger

Bench
When you are top, there is always pressure; we want, and expect, to win.

I think last year was probably the most pressure given the historical significance of the threepeat. RL loves its nostalgia and so the ability to emulate the Eels was a big story. The irony is heading into this year and the ability to beat the Eels haven’t been as much as a story; last year it’s all the papers could talk about.

Another factor is we expect our chances next year to be similar to our chances in 2025 and beyond; 2024 is just another year in the window. In 2025 we are only set to lose Luai (who is a great player and I am not looking to dismiss him) at this stage and we have quality players coming through who can fit into the system and replace him. As long as our senior metre getters (the props, Edwards and To’o) don’t regress, the younger kids coming through and improving (Kenny, Tago, maybe Turuva if he doesn’t leave, Smith, Henry and a few that might break out from reggies) can fill the void and even improve the quality.

So don’t fret about the Panthers;) Just the right amount of pressure for our boys…
Please don’t be encouraged, M likes everything that moves

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
Not really, It is a totally different looking team this year
Im certainly a Tiger fan that fully respects Penrith and their rise over this period. But will all due respect, your comment is totally incorrect.

Your club is coming of a history making threepeat and is duly recognized as the best outfit of the NRL era. You are going for a 4th title in a row....there WILL be pressure. Yes, your side roster wise is weaker........but the 2023 roster was definitely not as good as the 2002 roster, yet still got it done.

The year expectations are lowered for Penrith is the year after they don't win a premiership.....absolute fact. The good news for your boys is they absolutely seem to relish the challenge, not fear it.

Iamback

Coach
Im certainly a Tiger fan that fully respects Penrith and their rise over this period. But will all due respect, your comment is totally incorrect.

Your club is coming of a history making threepeat and is duly recognized as the best outfit of the NRL era. You are going for a 4th title in a row....there WILL be pressure. Yes, your side roster wise is weaker........but the 2023 roster was definitely not as good as the 2002 roster, yet still got it done.

The year expectations are lowered for Penrith is the year after they don't win a premiership.....absolute fact. The good news for your boys is they absolutely seem to relish the challenge, not fear it.

Don't get me wrong we will rightfully start favourites, They should and will be pushing for a premiership but it is very hard to win.

Even in last years Grand Final, We made 1 error and still only won by 2 points.

That was with Broncos handing us 8 points.

2022 in the game v Parra we only got on top once Moses went off. We were down 12-0 in the Prelim

2021 that final series was full of missed opportunities.

So you need a whole lot of luck to win competitions, most of which you can make but potentially we have a teenager replacing the best centre in the game.

Key bench player missing.

So I think while they of course will be disappointed should we not win it, There is are going to be those years that the luck/skill needed is missing

Penrith will be fine, for mine even with the loss of Chricton and Leniu they are still by and far the team to beat.

They have leaked players since winning their first GF and with "weaker" squads year on year got the job done. I still expect them to finish in the top 2 and appear in the GF at the very least. They had a slower start to 2023 and hit their straps at the right time. They've done it three years running now, they know what it takes to get there, they still have their spine intact and the young fellas coming through are good replacements for the guys moving on.

WA Tiger

Bench
OMG I think they will take this as an official adoption. They will now call us mum and dad and we are obligated to listen to their crying and wipe their tears

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member

Pretty much this.

In my mind the pressure to get a 4th will be huge. miss out & you have to win another 3 straight before you even think about getting another shot. The longer a streak goes, the more pressure there is to keep it going. I think they love that pressure though, so maybe it's a good thing.

WA Tiger

Bench
Pretty much this.

In my mind the pressure to get a 4th will be huge. miss out & you have to win another 3 straight before you even think about getting another shot. The longer a streak goes, the more pressure there is to keep it going. I think they love that pressure though, so maybe it's a good thing.
3 straight before you have to think about getting another shot…Ooooo..that’s tough …Listen we’ll see if we can get off the bottom of the ladder after 2 straight spoons then let’s chit chit soon ok..I promise I’ll take your call..

soc123_au

Staff member
3 straight before you have to think about getting another shot…Ooooo..that’s tough …Listen we’ll see if we can get off the bottom of the ladder after 2 straight spoons then let’s chit chit soon ok..I promise I’ll take your call..
The red mist when you see an opposition fan post is getting to you. Would it help if I had a Benji pic as an avatar?

soc123_au

Staff member
Sorry mate that shit can’t be encouraged. That’s all
I dont get it tbh. If it's trolling then yeah, I get it. Genuine discussion shouldn't make a difference who the poster supports.

If an Asian recommended a good Kebab shop would you dismiss it because they aren't a lebanese? Although I guess it would be moot anyway as if you aren't a lebanese you wouldn't know a good kebab from a bad one anyway. Is that how it works?

WA Tiger

Bench
I dont get it tbh. If it's trolling then yeah, I get it. Genuine discussion shouldn't make a difference who the poster supports.

If an Asian recommended a good Kebab shop would you dismiss it because they aren't a lebanese? Although I guess it would be moot anyway as if you aren't a lebanese you wouldn't know a good kebab from a bad one anyway. Is that how it works?
That u don’t get it explains a lot..

If a millionaire sits next to a homeless person in the street going on and on about his next business deal and how much money he will make from it and the risks of achieving / missing that deal how interested do u think the homeless person will be and wish he would just piss off?

soc123_au

Staff member
That u don’t get it explains a lot..

If a millionaire sits next to a homeless person in the street telling him about his next business deal and how much money he will make from it and the risks of achieving / missing that deal how interested do u think the homeless person will be and wish he would just piss off?
It was in response to a discussion I didn't start. I get your point if I started that line of discussion. To be fair that does happen a bit by our supporters across the forums, so fair enough.

Wizardman

First Grade
Pretty much this.

Yep.....all great sides eventually have a point where the squad do not want success as badly as they once did. Yet, I am still yet to see that sign from a Penrith side. The way to tell is by the way they defend.....it is so, so, so rare that a Penrith side gives up soft points. The year they do that is the year they will need to regenerate the side.

I remember the 1994 Broncos side coming off two titles in a row. The way they approached that 1994 season looked like they conquered the mountain and did not want to go through the sacrifices to do it again.