What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Tom Brady Lewis. Pump up merkins.

Even with a microphone, Luke Lewis chooses his words in similar style to how he has played the past 17 seasons.

Honest and direct.

“I want to win the premiership again,’’ Lewis said.

“I want to be a greedy prick — I want to win it this year and next year as well, so no pressure.

“I want my hand full of rings — I really do.

“I want to be Tom Brady — who can go like that (waving his hand).’’

128803fc157e0e9cf35ae983c001d188

Lewis wants to do something memorable with Cronulla. Picture: Zak Simmonds
The Sunday Telegraph was there seven weeks ago, when on the second floor of the Cronulla Leagues club, in front of only teammates, select coaching staff and administration, Lewis declared his dream to be the NRL’s version of Brady — the legendary NFL quarterback and five-time Super Bowl champion.

The entire room had gathered to pay tribute to the universally admired Sharks forward ahead of his historic 300th NRL match.

Former teammate Michael Ennis spoke, Sharks CEO Lyall Gorman spoke and so too did half the NRL, via video message.

Lewis stood to thank his mother, sister, wife and daughter, seated in front of him.

Then, as if struck by the unexplainable feeling of winning premierships in 2003 with Penrith and last year with Cronulla, Lewis paused.

e04ebedfd9270189f53050b3eef6b786

Tom Brady shows off his Super Bowl winners rings.
“I just want to say something for a moment,’’ Lewis said. “I’m a big believer with the group that we’ve got here, we can seriously win it again.

“I’m not just talking out of my arse, or smack, I’m being deadset honest.

“It’s time for us to put our hand up and start moving forward because come semi-final time, we’re a semi-final football side.

“We need to knuckle down because come semi-final time, I don’t think any team wants to play us.

“I’m not too fussed about my 300 — I’d give it all back to be in the semis this year, play our best footy and run out on grand final day.

“If I can seriously just ask everyone to put their heart and mind into it, throw your body into it and really make a big go of it.

“Let’s do something special, let’s do something that no other club has done for a long, long time.’’

fdbc830ef3304b3ee00470bbf90c9330

Lewis has been there before — but he’s not done yet. Image: Mark Evans
On Sunday afternoon, against North Queensland at Allianz Stadium, Lewis’ Brady dream and belief in the premiers goes on the line.

The resilient Cowboys are the Sharks’ first hurdle in a September where survival provides them with a sweet shot at becoming the first team since the Brisbane Broncos 24 years ago to win back-to-back titles.

An elimination fifth versus eighth final, the loser says goodbye to season 2017. That is clear motivation for both teams.

But for a slowly dismantling premiership-winning Sharks side, the desire of Lewis to be like Brady and so too, among the departing crew to delay their farewell party for at least another month, is real.

Premiership players Jack Bird (Broncos) and Gerard Beale (Warriors) will leave the Shire in 2018, while the future of veterans Chris Heighington and Sam Tagataese remain undecided.

And of course, there’s five-eighth James Maloney, who has been linked to more clubs than John Ibrahim.

The challenge for the Cowboys lies in Lewis’ confident speech and so too, words Beale offered the playing group early last week.

“Gerard Beale spoke to the group this week, he’s moving onto the Warriors for three years and he said ‘it’s not our last game this weekend,’’ Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said.

“And we’re not approaching it as that.

“We all know in the back of our mind, that if we don’t play well and we don’t get the chocolates, that it’s going to be their last game.

“I’m sure Jack and those players who are leaving the club aren’t thinking that way.

“Instead they know, that if they play well, they’re not far away from a chance to play in a grand final.’’

And of course, for Lewis to be like Brady.

Frenzy.

Immortal
He needs to run it out again.

This is 7 weeks old. Nothing much has changed before today

Other than Gallen, Lewis has been the only player to maintain similar form to last year.

So many players have to step up now.

Maybe too many.