What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal: Aus v NZ in Qatar at end of year + maybe Tonga (I am done)

Burns

First Grade
Source:https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

Australian coach Mal Meninga is intent on expanding the footprint of rugby league and is considering an expression of interest to host an end-of-season Test in Qatar in October.

Meninga is exploring the possibility of a charity match against Tonga to raise money for the victims of Cyclone Gita, and the financial incentive to take a game to the Middle East could have a huge impact on the lives of those affected.

The Kangaroos are also scheduled to play a game against New Zealand in Auckland at the end of the year, however relocating the match as part of a series in Qatar could give the Kiwis the ideal warm-up match on their way to their tour of the United Kingdom.

Qatar, which will host the FIFA World Cup in 2022, is constantly on the lookout to lure major sporting events to the country and have reached out about the possibility of hosting a rugby league fixture.

It's likely Doha would host the potential historic Test featuring Kangaroos stars Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis, with Khalifa International Stadium holding 40,000 fans.

The average high temperature in Doha during October is close to 35 degrees, with average lows dropping to less than 25 degrees.

The climate and conditions will be a strong consideration, however the players are often exposed to searing heat in the early rounds of the Telstra Premiership and also when playing international football in Papua New Guinea.

Meninga is a big believer of taking the game to uncharted territory and is also exploring alternative options.

An end-of-season Test against Tonga in Hawaii has already been floated, and the nine-hour flight time makes it far more convenient than the 16-hour trek required to Doha in Qatar.

Departing ARL Commission chairman John Grant is expected to be elected as the Rugby League International Federation chairman on Sunday.

He has a close relationship with Meninga and will play a pivotal role in securing the historic Test on Middle Eastern or American soil.

Meninga has the support of the players, who have shown a renewed sense of passion and commitment towards the Kangaroos jersey since his appointment as coach following Tim Sheens's reign.

Given the timing of the proposed Test, it's unlikely the NRL clubs will be as opposed to the idea as some have been towards the mid-season Test between New Zealand and England in Denver during the standalone Origin II weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You cant play in Denver, the altitude is way too high! But you can play in 35 degree heat, thats fine. I cannot deal with this sheer hypocrisy.

Can we please stop this 'policy on the run' - MAKE A DECISION ALREADY

Pommy

Coach
Planing a stop over in Doha towards the end of the year, would be nice if it all worked out.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You cant play in Denver, the altitude is way too high! But you can play in 35 degree heat, thats fine. I cannot deal with this sheer hypocrisy.

Can we please stop this 'policy on the run' - MAKE A DECISION ALREADY

Teams play in 35 degree heat early in the season all the time and the proposed game wouldn't be held in the middle of the season... So yeah I don't see the hypocrisy at all...

Also can we stop with the BS that the clubs and RLPA are against the Denver game because of the crap they say in the media, it's all about money and timing, nothing to do with altitude and the other apologetic BS that they say in the media.

roughyedspud

Coach
Because Australia have already agreed with the RLPA to play 1 test match post season in 2018...and that's against NZ and it'll be in Australia,probably Perth,before the kiwis fly too England..

So all this nonsense about playing Tonga in Hawaii or Auckland is pure bullshit...and Qatar?? Sod off lol

I've told you before Dane...stop believing your journalists...they talk shit!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Because Australia have already agreed with the RLPA to play 1 test match post season in 2018...and that's against NZ and it'll be in Australia,probably Perth,before the kiwis fly too England..

Pfft, that can change in an instant if any significant amount of money is on offer. Besides there's no reason why games like these would have to be played this year.

So all this nonsense about playing Tonga in Hawaii or Auckland is pure bullshit...and Qatar?? Sod off lol

I still don't see why it is "pure bullshit", I find it quite believable that those places may be interested in attracting an international RL game (or a big game of any kind really), I find it quite believable that Mal Meninga might be pushing for some Roos games to be taken on the road, I also find it quite believable that the NRL might be contemplating these ideas or similar ones, maybe even testing the waters on such ideas.
Whether or not these suggestions are actually being considered or if they'll actually go ahead I don't know, but I see no reason why it's completely unreasonable that they are being investigated as possibilities, especially considering that both Hawaii and Qatar/the middle east have shown interest in the NRL/RL in the recent past.

I've told you before Dane...stop believing your journalists...they talk shit!

You have? I don't remember.
For the record I don't believe anything without evidence, no matter who it comes from, if someone presents something to me without evidence I put it on a scale of believably from unbelievable to very likely true, but I still don't accept it as fact until I've seen evidence.

Though I don't remember you telling me that I can however remember you saying similar rumours were complete BS, such as rumours about Lions tours coming back, those rumors turned out to be true, I can remember you saying that Mascord was full of shit on multiple occasions and it's turned out that there was a spark to his smoke...

Look I don't know whether the talks of games in Hawaii, Doha, Timbuktu, and wherever else, are serious, but I can believe that those talks are happening, in fact I'd be much more worried about the NRL if these sorts of rumours and talks weren't happening at all...

Jankuloski

Juniors
It seems Meninga has been peddling a lot of crazy ideas lately: Test in Qatar, Hawaii, PNG into NRL (cuddos, but no plan), Twenty20 version of rugby league etc.

I think he’s only careless when talking to the media who pick up on a throwaway line and run with it on a slow news say..

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It's nonsense. Australian rugby league just has no idea whatsoever about expanding the game. Like seriously dumb, dumb no idea. So frustrating.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not gonna happen.

Everytime an idea of taking a test or club game to an overseas city where League is unknown, the idea is scrapped later on.

That's just how it is with our game.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
In Union, the old boys network and ex-players that pull the strings and know more or less what they are doing, partly because they had a decent education, partly because they evolve in corridors of power. In League it is decent athletes without academia and influence that just struggle to string words together.

roughyedspud

Coach
Pfft, that can change in an instant if any significant amount of money is on offer. Besides there's no reason why games like these would have to be played this year.

I still don't see why it is "pure bullshit", I find it quite believable that those places may be interested in attracting an international RL game (or a big game of any kind really), I find it quite believable that Mal Meninga might be pushing for some Roos games to be taken on the road, I also find it quite believable that the NRL might be contemplating these ideas or similar ones, maybe even testing the waters on such ideas.
Whether or not these suggestions are actually being considered or if they'll actually go ahead I don't know, but I see no reason why it's completely unreasonable that they are being investigated as possibilities, especially considering that both Hawaii and Qatar/the middle east have shown interest in the NRL/RL in the recent past.

You have? I don't remember.
For the record I don't believe anything without evidence, no matter who it comes from, if someone presents something to me without evidence I put it on a scale of believably from unbelievable to very likely true, but I still don't accept it as fact until I've seen evidence.

Though I don't remember you telling me that I can however remember you saying similar rumours were complete BS, such as rumours about Lions tours coming back, those rumors turned out to be true, I can remember you saying that Mascord was full of shit on multiple occasions and it's turned out that there was a spark to his smoke...

Look I don't know whether the talks of games in Hawaii, Doha, Timbuktu, and wherever else, are serious, but I can believe that those talks are happening, in fact I'd be much more worried about the NRL if these sorts of rumours and talks weren't happening at all...

Oh look...nz v Australia in Auckland..

As for mascord & GB I'll give him his dues he's played a blinder and it's become clear in the last week why he pushed so hard for it..he's gaining financially from it..the GB Lions facebook page is run by mascord and he's using to sell his GB memorabilia..

adamkungl

Immortal
Oh look...nz v Australia in Auckland..

As for mascord & GB I'll give him his dues he's played a blinder and it's become clear in the last week why he pushed so hard for it..he's gaining financially from it..the GB Lions facebook page is run by mascord and he's using to sell his GB memorabilia..

haha im sure he's raking it in selling match programs for pocket change.

This Mascord conspiracy of yours is worse than his idea for Perth to play in Super League

geordie_saint

Juniors
Aus vs Tonga should be in Auckland. It’ll sellout and make more money than Brisbane. I’d be surprised if it was held in Qatar.

Latest posts