What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marauders Dungeon NRLCEO Grand Final

abpanther

Staff member
Major Semi-Final Wrapup

Bulls def Los Bastardos 79 - 61

The excitement for this game was sky high after some trash talking between the coaches and the expectation was for some big hits and a great game. The crowd figure for this game broke previous ground records and the atmosphere at the ground was immense, most fans were well behaved although there were a couple of incidents where the Police were require to intervene. Most experts and analysts predicted that the Bulls would have too much firepower for Los Bastardos side. In the end these predictions were fairly accurate, the game also failed to live up to expectations as only one 'team' really showed up.

Big-time performers
As has been the staple of their season and recent successes in this competition, the Bulls had a great consistent team effort across the park in this one with no huge standouts, exactly what was required to give the Bulls their second consecutive Grand Final appearance. Outstanding young Warriors fullback Kevin Locke led the side with 13 points, grabbing a try, try assist and 2 line breaks. Meanwhile captain and number 1 overall pick Robbie Farah continued to show why he is so valuable, grabbing 10 points to lead from the front. The entire Bulls backline contributed to the scoreline, a big reason why they got across the line. For Los Bastardos, captain and goal kicker Jamie Lyon was a standout and was the only reason this was close, grabbing 24 points with 3 conversions and 3 try assist. Brett Morris continued to show a resurgence in form this season grabbing a try and two line breaks. Robert Lui also provided nice assistance off the bench with 2 try assist and a line break.

Underachievers
The Bulls had very few, with a fairly consistent performances from all players. They would like to see some more production from their bench though, who failed to trouble the scorers and this will keep coach Tom up in the nights leading up to the big game. For Los Bastardos, there were far too many non-performers, only 7 of the 17 man team actually troubled the scorers, the biggest disappointment was the forwards who (except for hooker Jake Friend) all laid goose eggs in the biggest game of the season, they will carry that disappointment with them all offseason.

Turning Point
The Bulls were just too consistent this week and that was the difference, the inability of Matty Bowen to fire for Los Bastardos was too much to overcome.

The Bottom Line
A game that was dominated by the Bulls and where the scoreline flatters Los Bastardos. The Bulls have been the benchmark side all year thanks to their depth and consistency and this game was no different, coach Tom will be feeling very confident heading into his second consecutive grand final, however on this occasion feeling that he has a far more balanced side than last season. For Los Bastardos, a valiant effort that caps off a very successful season, coach Johnsy will feel happy with his teams achievements this year but disappointing that they failed to fire when it counted most.

Grand Final Preview

trophy.jpg

Bulls (1) vs Bondi Beasts (2)

The culmination of another fantastic LU NRLCEO season arrives on Grand Final day, here pitting two bitter rivals and clearly the two best sides all season. As history shows, both the Bulls and Bondi Beasts have been two of the most successful franchises since the LU competition commenced. Both teams were very close to winning their inaugural premiership last season, both thwarted in the end by an outstanding Marauders side. However both teams have shown resilience and an unparalleled determination to have another crack at taking the LU crown.

Both coaches are very well respected around the league, both showing that the path to success in this competition is to draft well, build depth and acquire key young talent throughout the season. For coach Tom, great drafting throughout coupled with the addition of young Warriors stars Shaun Johnson and Kevin Locke was a masterstroke, providing the attacking flair required to topple the competition heavyweights. Coach Johns Magic also drafted well, grabbing an absolute steal in Jonathan Thurston and also triggering some key trades throughout the season to grab some gamebreakers in Akuila Uate and Gareth Ellis.

The teams met in the Qualifying Final, a high quality encounter where the Beasts were able to grab the chocolates on that occasion 83-78, while this will provide coach JM the mental edge heading into the big day, both coaches will know that history is just that, and this game will be decided by what happens in the 80mins on game day.

Watch out Bulls
The Beasts have some key gamebreakers who can blow this game wide open. Storm duo Billy Slater and Gareth Widdop have been fantastic all season and can put up big numbers. Jonathan Thurston is the best fullback in the competition and on any day can put up 20+ points. Meanwhile colossus winger Akuila Uate is always capable of grabbing a bagful of tries, particularly in such a big game this weekend.

Watch out Beasts
Jarryd Hayne is a true superstar who is due for a breakout game and could be saving his biggest performance for last, the Bulls side also boasts the number one performer in the competition in Robbie Farah, who is capable of putting up some big scores and is extremely consistent. The Bulls pack is one of the best and most consistent work horse packs in the competition and gives the Bulls side a great platform to work off.

Suspensions/Injury Watch/Late Mail
The Storm/Sea Eagles brawl last week has really hurt the Beasts, with star forwards Glen Stewart and Adam Blair both ruled out with suspensions, this significantly hurts the Beasts forward pack as both players are consistent WH forwards with the ability to also score and set up tries. The Bulls side will be unchanged from the Qualifying Final.

Both sides are expected to enjoy a game of cricket or a trip to the beach this morning to settle the nerves and get players ready for the big clash, partisan crowds are expected to see the players off, a number of media events and club breakfasts this week have ensured that the players and fans alike a primed for a huge game.

Odds
The bookmakers have swayed on this one. Initially the Beasts were installed favourites given their recent victory and good form, however the news from the judiciary has swayed punters back to the Bulls. The head-to head market is currently the Bulls at $1.75 and the Beasts at $2.00, however this is sure to change once the teams are announced.

CELEBRITY PREDICTIONS

"It's a tough game to call, I think both sides have been the benchmark all season. I love both coaches, they have taught me so much and have been an inspiration to me. I think on this occasion the suspensions of Adam Blair and Glen Stewart will be too much for JM to overcome, I see the Bulls winning by 10-14 points." Abpanther

"I think the Beasts side has the mental fortitude and key players in their spine to overcome the Bulls side, I expect Billy Slater and Jonathan Thurston to put in MVP performances." Peter Sterling

"I can't wait for this game, this is the moment all these players have been waiting for, the adrenaline, the rush, who will stand up, who has that origin play in them to make a key tackle when your body has nothing left, who will rise to the top. I think the Beasts have too many seasoned reps for the Bulls, I expect them to take this one out in a nailbiting encounter" Phil Gould

"A great day for the nation, a great day for all sports fans moving forward into a new era, I wish both sides the best of luck on this grand final day" Julia Gillard

"I will be visiting New York shortly to promote this great game of ours, I also hope to sell some more merchandise and continue to promote the Rabbitohs in all I do. Regarding the grand final, I like the Bulls, they are strong right across the park and I expect Jarryd Hayne to put in a mammoth performance." Russell Crowe

"Where am I?" Charlie Sheen

All lineups to be named in here, good luck all coaches, lets have another great round and lets try to all stay active on the forum and keep this as the best fantasy comp going around.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Great read ab, always delivering the quality.

I will choose and announce my lineup in a couple of hours when I get home.

Johns Magic

Referee
thumbnail.ashx
thumbnail.ashx

Bondi Beasts

Sitting at his desk after a busy week which involved getting his side ready for the big game, promoting the league's showcase event, rushing to and from doctor's appointments, and two nights of unsuccessfully fighting at the judiciary, Bondi coach Johns Magic is now ready to reveal the 17 that he has selected to take on the Bulls for the second time in a fortnight.

This time last week Magic had pencilled in his lineup, largely sticking to the core of players still available who have got the side to this point in the season. Fast-forward eight hours, and the entire Bondi camp was watching on in disbelief as two of the side's key forwards did their very best to single-handedly unravel the team's premiership hopes.

Adam Blair has found top form over the last couple of months, and Glenn Stewart is the senior pack member was the club's first forward drafted after the injured Nathan Friend.

What was aways going to be a futile trip to the judiciary ended in the confirmation that both players seasons were over.

To add salt to the wounds of the pack, the heavy mail suggests that despite being named initially, prop Tim Mannah will most likely not be able to take the field for the big day. Coach Magic has received similar mail on young winger Will Hopoate, and both players have had to be dismissed from the 17. This was the coach's decision, who believed that whilst it may come back to bite the side, carrying players who were no certainty would be disruptive and too big a gamble in what is expected to be a tight affair.

These injuries have seen the forced shift of prop Anthony Laffranchi to the backrow for the first time this season, and the naming of two Beast debutants in th prop jerseys.

Discussing the new faces into the side, Coach Magic revealed that with Mannah and Blair gone over the weekend, along with Laffranchi reverting to the 12 jersey to cover Glenn Stewart, the club's prop sticks were at an all-time low. As a result, Brent Kite and Luke Burgess will pull on the red, white and blue, and have vowed to lead from the front.

"We've been in preliminary discussions with Brent for a couple of weeks now", Magic told Nine News last night. "Being in this league a few years has taught me to always plan for the worst-case scenario, and I knew that if it came down to the big day, I couldn't throw young Josh Papalii in to start in the front-row. He's a talented young kid, but he's also just a young bull and has been an impact backrower all year. To take on a completely new role in a pressure game would have been too much to ask of him. We were hoping Brent's services wouldn't be required, but after Friday night we got back on the phone to him and really pushed negotiations. Having been off-cast by the Bulls earlier this year, the second he found out who our opposition was going to be he signed on the dotted line. He has a genuine fire in the belly and a point to prove, and in the big games you want someone with that passion and seniority."

"As for Luke," Magic continued, "his signing was only finalised this morning after the doctor and judiciary news came through. We've asked him to give us his all, and I have faith that he'll do his best. A premiership ring is a big carrot for anyone."

In other team news, Greg Bird has shifted to lock to cover Stewart, and has been given strict orders to make up for the aggression lost in the absence of Stewart and Blair. Coach Magic believes that the ferocity of the pack has brought the side this far, and in turn has given Bird his mission and the captaincy.

Steve Turner will take the goalkicking duties over Johnathan Thurston, who has been relieved of the duties in order to orchestrate the backline with the help of Billy Slater at the back.

Young Taniela Lasalo has been given his shot on the bench, leaving Papalii and Travis Burns as the two unlucky fit players to miss out.

With a final team huddle at 7:30 on Friday night, the following 17 will look into each others' eyes, make a pact, and do all they possibly can to bring down the formidable Bulls side.

Bondi Beasts Lineup for the Grand-Final:

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner (k)
3. Steve Matai
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Akuila Uate
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Luke Burgess
9. Matt Srama
10. Brent Kite
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Greg Bird (c)

14. Isaac De Gois
15. Taniela Lasalo
16. Steve Michaels
17. Lote Tuqiri

Coach: Johns Magic

Tom155

Coach
Great write up AB & JM

Good Luck JM, pity that neither of our teams will have full strength lineups should be a great match anyway.

When did you pick up Kite & Burgess btw?

Bulls Side to Face The Beasts

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. David Mead
3. Jack Reed
4. Ashley Graham
5. Kevin Locke
6. Shaun Johnson
7. James Maloney (K)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah (C)
10. Kade Snowden
11. Matt Hilder
12. Chris Houston
13. Paul Gallen

14. Dean Young
15. Trent Merrin
16. Kalifa Fai Fai Loa
17. Joel Moon

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Picked them both up this morning Tom...had been playing without a full squad, to give me some room should a disaster like Stewart-Mannah-Blair occur

Tom155

Coach
stupid late mail said waterhouse was defintely not playing so i left him out

:evil:

Tom155

Coach
finally a bit of luck, your still killing me though

same with Waterhouse ended up on 39 as well

Merrin ended up on 36

Hilder only played 18 mins

Young the less said about him the better had no one else left though

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Haha, I'll be waiting til 9pm this Sunday night before I mail anything.

If I had all my usual reliable WH forwards I'd be very confident of holding on from here, but without them(and De Gois and Burgess JUST missing out), this lead is very capable of being pegged back, especially by a backline like Tom's and with Farah.

I have a bad gut feeling that Sheens will rest Ellis in the second half as well.

But I was thinking last night, imagine if I'd been playing you in the grand-final last night ab...I think you'd be on suicide watch :lol:

aussies1st

Staff member
Looks like checkmate with Farah hattrick not to mention Hayne's 5 try assist. I feel the pain too as my League of Legends opponent also set Farah as captain.

Tom155

Coach
Looks like checkmate with Farah hattrick not to mention Hayne's 5 try assist. I feel the pain too as my League of Legends opponent also set Farah as captain.
In Allan Langer comp? you knocked me out 2 weeks ago, i had 2nd highest scoring team in all of the LOL comps & you pipped me at the finish :fist:

Tom155

Coach
that sucks i was cheering for IB, we will never hear the end of it now if he ends up winning :roll:

Tom155

Coach
hayne actually contributed a decent amount of points this week, he's hardly done anything the whole year apart from the odd LB or TA for a early draft pick

Latest posts