What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Roosters @ ANZ Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Wests Tigers v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even if we didn't steal that at the death I would have been pleased with the effort.

Coming up against a team that has arguably the best 13, class all over the backline and the ability to put points on and holding them to one try and a penalty goal was an insane effort.

Just glad to see that Teddy is capable of bottling it at Easts too, I reckon they were in his head from kick off. I feared he was really going to turn it on off the back of Cronk and really make us rue the day. Watching him spill that pass with no one to beat was hilarious.

Das Hassler

Bench

Coming up against a team that has arguably the best 13, class all over the backline and the ability to put points on and holding them to one try and a penalty goal was an insane effort.

Just glad to see that Teddy is capable of bottling it at Easts too, I reckon they were in his head from kick off. I feared he was really going to turn it on off the back of Cronk and really make us rue the day. Watching him spill that pass with no one to beat was hilarious.

"Even if we didn't steal that at the death I would have been pleased with the effort"
I was thinking the same twenty minutes to go....

watching teddy's sideline interview he looked and sounded pretty rattled....i think they did a good job on him in the clutches. ..crowd sure helped as well. He'll still rip em apart this year.

Clifferd

Coach
Even if we didn't steal that at the death I would have been pleased with the effort.

Deadset when we defended our line for 3 consecutive sets on our line in the 1st half, it gave me the belief that we might actually break the hoodoo. Best passage I’ve seen from our team since the 10/11 seasons

Vic Mackey

Referee
Deadset when we defended our line for 3 consecutive sets on our line in the 1st half, it gave me the belief that we might actually break the hoodoo. Best passage I’ve seen from our team since the 10/11 seasons

Agree mate.

Only game something similar happened that I can remember was a Monday night game v manly in 2009. They were on our line seemingly all game but we held them out and won 19-18. I think this was more special though with everything we’ve been through and being such Under dogs.

Das Hassler

Bench
Something else i couldnt help noticing / appreciating. ...notwithstanding the sitter he missed it's obvious that Hodgo and Ivan have been working with Tui on his goalkicking technique...he looked fairly well balanced with a MUCH better run up than with that frogstomp he was doing previously

Vic Mackey

Referee
Something else i couldnt help noticing / appreciating. ...notwithstanding the sitter he missed it's obvious that Hodgo and Ivan have been working with Tui on his goalkicking technique...he looked fairly well balanced with a MUCH better run up than with that frogstomp he was doing previously

Yeah agree. He always seemed to hit it really sweetly, I think Tui will end up being a pretty top shelf goal kicker.

I remember hearing Hazem talk about goal kicking once and he said sometimes the hardest ones are the penalties from random spots, say 32m out, 8m to the left of the post cause you never practice them.

Clifferd

Coach
What do we think our line up will be for the Melbourne game?

I’d keep same starting starting 13. Maybe push Chee Kam off the bench for Sue (nothing against Chee Kam but we need impact, Aloiai would be perfect for this but injured)

Give nofo one more game in reserves for match fitness then bring him back in for a swap for MWZ in the Brissy game

Vozzy

Juniors
Other then the sideline conversion lolahea was poor and slow. Thompson and Marsters were really solid bring back Nofo and the 3 of them with Thompson fullback will be hard to stop.

Ferguson was about to run around him with ease if not for Brooks. Thompson was good under the high ball against Tupou and Mitchell. Lolahea seemed to get the nod cos of goal kicking.

Also Naquama is so rockscand diamonds. Made some good one on one tackles but a poor read in defence gave them a try. He ran the ball well but then gave MWZ a hospital pass on tackle 2 when attacking their line.

Brooks was nothing special Benji saved him. Benji got 2-3 repeat sets and managed the game but Brooks went missing on 5th tackle a lot. Still seems like a player that lacks confidence.

Let's stick with winning team but these 3 need improving.

Tigerm

First Grade
Now, I just hope Easts miss the semi's by 1 point. Teddy might want to come back:D

I was away and missed the game, reading the posts here I cant see any reason why you would change a winning side except for injuries. It is only round 1 and the players need time to develop teamwork, those in reserves will have to continue to play out of their skins to keep the pressure on, its all good.

McIlwrick hasn't been mentioned, how did he & Godinet go?

I'm glad you noticed because I dont feel like enough has been said of his butcher job (granted I haven't read the bulldogs match thread).

First thing I though when I saw him was that he looks like he's aged about 10 years in the off-season.

Stability will do that to you.

The club he left knocked off a premiership heavyweight, his club got done while the player his new club rissoled to fit him in gave the Donkeys a dicking. You couldn't make that shit up lol...

Clifferd

Coach
We must sign Marsters asap to a long term deal.I luv this kid.He is the real deal as a footballer & additionally a very humble kid.Actually he’d b in the front row seat on IC’s bus !

Marsters outclassed his Opposite Mitchell in every facet of play.

Mitchell is touted as a future origin player, so based on that Marsters has to find himself in a rep jersey soon

rupertpupkin

Juniors
He must train like a champion. All coaches seem to think he is the greatest merkin ever. He is reserve grade at best, no matter how jacked he is or how good he trains. He took either nofo or fonuas spot for f**ks sake

I like Naiquima. I think I understand why he keeps scoring a spot. The dude always punches above his weight, puts in 110% and throws everything he's got into a game. Guys like that have value, despite being patchy. Sometimes they provide a genuine lift and morale boost for a team. I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced by someone with better skills in some areas, but I sense he's there for a good reason, anyway.

Great game from Marshall. Fantastic defensive effort from the whole team. It's what the Tigers have needed to do for years. Get the defence sorted first. Worry about flashy attack when the team can tackle for 80 plus minutes.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Surprised me completely but Rochow exceeded his trial form and made my 3 2 1s against the chooks.

Someone suggesting Thompson fullback, Fonua and Nofo wingers, Lolohea and Marsters centres? Hmmm not the worst idea.

Lolohea was stood up badly (so badly that if it were Kev or Brooks many would be baying for blood) by Ferguson yesterday luckily Brooks was there.

Clifferd

Coach
also thought I might add

Tuimoala Lolohea-16Runs 145Meters 3Offloads 4Tackle breaks 0Errors
James Tedesco---19Runs 114Meters 1Offload 5Tackle breaks 3Errors

Tui $400k
Ted $1m

Tiger05

First Grade
What do we think our line up will be for the Melbourne game?

I’d keep same starting starting 13. Maybe push Chee Kam off the bench for Sue (nothing against Chee Kam but we need impact, Aloiai would be perfect for this but injured)

Give nofo one more game in reserves for match fitness then bring him back in for a swap for MWZ in the Brissy game

I reckon drop Naiqama and move MWZ to the centres. Fonua gets the wing spot. I'd love to put Sue or Felise into the team as well. I'd keep Chee-Kam there though. The problem is we need two hookers out there and McIlwrick performed yesterday.

I'd make that backline change though for sure. Fonua will give our team some go forward from the backs that we really need.

Clifferd

Coach
I reckon drop Naiqama and move MWZ to the centres. Fonua gets the wing spot. I'd love to put Sue or Felise into the team as well. I'd keep Chee-Kam there though. The problem is we need two hookers out there and McIlwrick performed yesterday.

I'd make that backline change though for sure. Fonua will give our team some go forward from the backs that we really need.

Fonua looked good with ball in hand, I think he had like 15 carries and the bulldogs could only get him to the ground twice. Very strong human, but his high ball is pretty concerning...dropping two easy catches

Maybe Fonua could work in the centres? because nofo really belongs in the team.

Tiger05

First Grade
Other then the sideline conversion lolahea was poor and slow. Thompson and Marsters were really solid bring back Nofo and the 3 of them with Thompson fullback will be hard to stop.

Ferguson was about to run around him with ease if not for Brooks. Thompson was good under the high ball against Tupou and Mitchell. Lolahea seemed to get the nod cos of goal kicking.

Also Naquama is so rockscand diamonds. Made some good one on one tackles but a poor read in defence gave them a try. He ran the ball well but then gave MWZ a hospital pass on tackle 2 when attacking their line.

Brooks was nothing special Benji saved him. Benji got 2-3 repeat sets and managed the game but Brooks went missing on 5th tackle a lot. Still seems like a player that lacks confidence.

Let's stick with winning team but these 3 need improving.

I'd get rid of Naiqama and although I really like Tui I didn't think he looked up to it as well. He kicked that goal though so you can't drop him. Still I think our best back 3 at the moment is going to be Fonua and Nofo on the wings and Thompson at fullback.

I reckon Brooks was decent. Benji and Brooks both threw one or two bad passes each that they have to get out of their games. Benji overall though was quality.

To me the first change is Naiqama out and Fonua in. The second would be Tui out and Nofo in. Then I'd consider adding more grunt to out pack which is pretty easy with Sue or Felise. It's going to be tough for IC to pick the best team because Aloiai and Reynolds will come back. I reckon Liddle is going to slot straight back in as well.

We have a lot of depth now and the players seem to be performing as well.

Latest posts