What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Raiders @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 10: Knights v Raiders

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spot On

Coach
I'm in for discussing the merits of it on a footy forum, lol. Has anyone really said lets take a knife to Brown? I think the most I've said is that if things don't change in the next 12 months then questions should be asked. Why is it such a dirty thought to have some sort of time based expectations of a professional footy coach? This isn't under 9's.

I like a tonne of what Brown has done, my main concern with him is in his recruitment strategy. I'm not certain he can pull it off.

Wasn't directed at you Pervy. There's been a few question if he can coach. That's been the last thing I've thought about questioning Brown over. f**k knows how you could question that yet?

perverse

Referee
Wasn't directed at you Pervy. There's been a few question if he can coach. That's been the last thing I've thought about questioning Brown over.
I'm not sure if he can or can't coach, to be honest. The team has been so bad for the most part, it's legitimately been hard to discern what we're trying to do out there. I have liked some of the trick shots we've pulled off since Brown got here, but we seem to execute them once and then they disappear forever.

Honestly, though... as far as strategy goes, Brown earned a free pass this year the moment he dropped Hodko. Needed to be done, did it.

Spot On

Coach
Oh well, I can see improvements in many players in a short time. Our captain is 20 ffs. Too many people expecting too much from kids and forgetting what this team and culture was like pre Brown.

perverse

Referee
I think it's a bit of a mixed bag as far as our young kids improving, but I guess that's what you get with kids.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
It's crazy to think sione is only 20. He just feels like a veteran at the club, it's so easy to forget that he is still eligible for the holden cup. To be 20 years old, captaining your side in the second row and dominating a team like the raiders is something truly special.

Sione should keep the captaincy until he retires. If we land an experienced leader he can be co captain with sione.

Johns Magic

Referee
Sounds like Gagai at fullback and Wardle at centre is going to be the plan going forward. Interesting with Gagai's contract situation. Hopefully Wardle is up to the speed in defence.

Seage

Juniors
Yates was a goer - but i'd be cautious of extolling the virtues. Charging into the line - willingly - to get smashed is brave, but it's not necessarily the hallmark of great player. He'll tackle all day and is all heart - and lord knows we need that - but is he going to break the line charging onto the ball?

Not being neg, just looking further ahead. I love his effort though.

perverse

Referee
Sounds like Gagai at fullback and Wardle at centre is going to be the plan going forward. Interesting with Gagai's contract situation. Hopefully Wardle is up to the speed in defence.
If Souths are throwing fullback money at him, they might think twice after today.
Yates was a goer - but i'd be cautious of extolling the virtues. Charging into the line - willingly - to get smashed is brave, but it's not necessarily the hallmark of great player. He'll tackle all day and is all heart - and lord knows we need that - but is he going to break the line charging onto the ball?

Not being neg, just looking further ahead. I love his effort though.
Agree, just hard to not like him.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Is it feasible that Sione is our captain from now on? Unless we sign someone like a Graham, I can't see anyone taking it off him. He's extremely young to rely on as a captain long term. Maybe Buhrer steps in when he's healthy?

The culture is definitely better, no doubt about it. We're a few signings off consistently impressing yet, but I definitely have a renewed faith that there is talent in the team after today. Some of our kids just need to grow up faster. Lamb put his dukes up today, which was excellent. Really needs to sort out his short kicking game, though... it is not NRL standard.

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but I'd definitely prefer Sione of Hodkinson as captain. It must have been hard on the players having to play under someone who is the worst performing player on the field. The knights have a proud history of inspirational captains and then we have one who plays halfback who won't even kick..

Seage

Juniors
Sione was motm.

Sione should be our captain, but would really benefit from being a co-captain with someone like Cronk or Graham. Someone who could teach him about first grade leadership and the habits of winning. The poor bloke hasnt had any role models in the Knights the last few years.

slotmachine

First Grade
Don't know if the stats bloke was asleep but they have Sione down for 10 runs 81m, seemed more than that watching live. Topped the tackle count and two tries. Well deserved.

perverse

Referee
Don't know if the stats bloke was asleep but they have Sione down for 10 runs 81m, seemed more than that watching live. Topped the tackle count and two tries. Well deserved.
He got a fair few touches on the ball that wouldn't be considered runs, too. Kicks, linking up with outside men, etc. He was certainly in everything.

Some interesting stuff out of the presser. Gagai at fullback seems to be a thing moving forward so that we can have Wardle defending in the centres, and so Gagai can get his hands on the ball more. Starling has a broken hand. Jaifiti's neck scans mainly precautionary.

Anasta mentioned this as well. But Daniel's efforts where even greater when you consider his twin was taken off with a possible neck injury. That could have easily forced him into his shell.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Awesome! Man that feels good. So happy for the players more than anything. Good on them. And it wasn't against the Titans or Tigers.

One thing about being as bad as we are, when you win it is seriously exciting.
I just watched the replay even though I had already heard the score, it's a hard feeling to describe to others who aren't Knights fans, having so many losses and downs over the last few years and so little joy. For both our wins this year, once we got to the point where there's no way we're gonna lose, I see the players jumping around so happy and I get a lump in my throat combined with a massive grin on my face. For a long time no other NRL supporters have truly appreciated a win like we can today.
I've forgotten what this feeling is. It's the opposite of loathing and shame. There must be a word for it.
Less shame ;)

Alex28

Coach
I fear the timing of his move to fullback is to justify paying him fullback money to keep him...