What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 22 vs Panthers @ Pepper Stadium

Who will win? Round 22: Panthers v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger05

First Grade
i think when Suli is back we drop Grace Jones and keep Malaki on the wing.
Our defence is much inproved thats for sure...But we drop off the important tackles that leads to tries.

We are being competitive thats the plus.

I like Malaki. He is a good player. I agree though that we need to look to win games. Competing isn't enough. You need players that win games.

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Grace and Brooks were the 2 who missed the tackle on the try to seal the game.
I know hes a plodder,but Grace wont be with us next year so what do we lose?
Safe will do me...Grace is far from safe.

Tiger05

First Grade
Naiqama is far from safe. I just want to see consistent improvement and a team that puts in. I think we put in out there today and I think we are buying players who put in.

I can't wait until next season.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I like Malaki. He is a good player. I agree though that we need to look to win games. Competing isn't enough. You need players that win games.
we have
manly
Rooster
Cowboys
and Warriors

I think we can win those last 2 games to avoid the spoon

BuffaloRules

Coach
The negatives;

- short kicking game of the halves still not up to scratch
- goalkicking... LoLo ain't the answer
- goal line defence has improved but still too many missed tackles...
- dumb dropped balls at critical times..
- team bench selection... I just don't get it...

Still.. They kept trying until the end and the score wasn't a true reflection in my opinion...

I hope they can keep it up and get at least one more win for the season...

Tigers1986

Juniors
We were gash but still stuck in. Penrith weren't great and kept us in it with their poor ball control. There are some good signs for next year and the improvement under Ivan is showing (albeit WAY too late).

It's now crunch time. 2 clear of the Knights and we're lucky they have a very tough draw. 3 of our last 4 games are at home venues. Manly are vulnerable especially at Leichhardt, Cowboys struggle in Sydney and the Warriors are the Warriors. Chooks will murk us if they happen to do the Storm next week.

gordsy

Juniors
Its more us that gives tries to the opposition
MM passing to nobody=Panthers try from nowhere
Sue drops the ball trying to pass it= Panthers try next set.

Lolo playing very well,looking dangerous,made few great breaks,but gee we need to find a decent goalkicker in 2018.
Masters is going to be a gun.
Tedesco has spiders on him as usual.
Brooks has done nothing again.......his last tackle kicking is horrible every week.
We need a backup plan for this gump in 2018......
Agreed re Brooks. He seems to be attending the Mitchell Pearce school of sh!thouse kicking

Vic Mackey

Referee
61 missed tackles today..Geez

11 by MM
7 by Brooks
6 by Grace
7 by Marsters....

Stats are always hard, for instance I can't remember Marsters missing a tackle. If a guy falls off a tackle but has made enough impact so someone else comes and stops him immediately I'm fine with that. It's when it leads to a line break or a half break/quick play the ball that then leads to trouble that is an issue.

I get that he is probably our second hooker but I've never got the wraps MM gets. His service is terrible (cost us 6 points today), misses a heap of tackles and has no kicking game. He can scoot after a quick PTB but so can anyone. I fail to see how he is any better then Halatau was.

61 missed tackles but defending our line really well. I reckon we're going ok and will win 2 more games this year. The warriors in round 26 and either the eagles or cowboys too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sue has these great hit-ups but so many shit plays. Liddle to me looks fine. He will make a bust and his service and defence are decent. His service does have to improve but it's probably better than McIlwrick's.

I'm worried about Sue, at this stage I don't think he makes our top 17 next year.

Vozzy

Juniors
Last 5 games I have noticed a game plan.
- We are attacking the ruck a lot more
- forwards and Marsters are looking for offloads (some are not needed but atleast they are trying to get second phase play going) even Chris Lawrence twice passed the ball back on the inside to teddy who never passes much.
- after the offload especially when Lolahea gets it he is looking to give Taylor, Marsters and Nofolouma early ball.
- we are getting let down by all the good work by having a horrible kicking game.

Kilkenny

Coach
Very spirited performance from you guys today. I thought it was a decent game even if there some mistakes made by both sides.

Don't normally come on other sides forums but just thought I would say you guys will be so much better off (long term) without Woods. I think the two front rowers you are bringing in will do equally as good a job at the same price for two. Nothing against Aaron Woods but simply not worth the dollars.

Ivan Clearly is a nice guy and a good coach I think you guys will be a force to be reckoned with in a couple of years once Ivan get's his side as opposed to the nucleus of the team he inherited.

The negatives;

- short kicking game of the halves still not up to scratch
- goalkicking... LoLo ain't the answer
- goal line defence has improved but still too many missed tackles...
- dumb dropped balls at critical times..
- team bench selection... I just don't get it...

Still.. They kept trying until the end and the score wasn't a true reflection in my opinion...

I hope they can keep it up and get at least one more win for the season...

The bench could have been the difference. I don't see the persistence with JLJ when ET is in the side.

Goal line defence has been solid as f**k. The last try was disappointing but we've really closed up on the line which is fantastic.

5th tackle options were what determined the game today. I reckon we would have been two or three tries better off if Brooks and Lolo had a bit of a clue.

Lolo loses goalkicking duties next year too, I agree he's definitely not the answer.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The bench could have been the difference. I don't see the persistence with JLJ when ET is in the side.

Goal line defence has been solid as f**k. The last try was disappointing but we've really closed up on the line which is fantastic.

5th tackle options were what determined the game today. I reckon we would have been two or three tries better off if Brooks and Lolo had a bit of a clue.

Lolo loses goalkicking duties next year too, I agree he's definitely not the answer.
We need to display a massive improvement of proficiency re execution of 5th tackle options as this is pivotal as to whether we qualify for the 8 next yr.

We have a formidable squad however our game management will most likely b our Achilles heel !

Clifferd

Coach
I've defended Brooks for so long but yesterday I just couldn't. I have no doubt in my mind if he just had an above average kicking game we'd win more than we lose. His diabolical kicking game gets us on the back foot immediately

His long kicking game was usually off yesterday. Generally finds grass but most kicks were down the throat of the back 3 yesterday. It's his short kicking that has got to improve. The strange thing is that we know he is capable of more as he shone when Waste Anasta was bludging outside of him.

I'm wondering whether hoofing the high ball from 30m out is on instructions? It's got to be as it is so regimented. So much so that when he decided to run the ball in the second half he threw the black cats off.

Radical Rat

Juniors
I've defended Brooks for so long but yesterday I just couldn't. I have no doubt in my mind if he just had an above average kicking game we'd win more than we lose. His diabolical kicking game gets us on the back foot immediately

Totally agree. I've been a staunch defender of Brooks but geez yesterday was tough. I fee like we can almost hang with anyone at the moment. We're doing so many things right, it's just the 5th tackle options that are killing us. We can't sustain any pressure and it's so frustrating.

Concentrating on the finish to our sets has to be priority number 1 in the off season.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Totally agree. I've been a staunch defender of Brooks but geez yesterday was tough. I fee like we can almost hang with anyone at the moment. We're doing so many things right, it's just the 5th tackle options that are killing us. We can't sustain any pressure and it's so frustrating.

Concentrating on the finish to our sets has to be priority number 1 in the off season.

In the press conference yesterday IC mentioned the 5th tackle options are very very poor,and he has to work on it to fix it.
So he's on the ball