What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Sharks @ Southern Cross Group Stadium

Who will win? Round 5: Sharks v Knights

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2017 - Round 5
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Newcastle Knights
Southern Cross Group Stadium, Woolooware (TICKETS)
Saturday 1 April 2017

Gates 10:30am / NYC 10:45am / ISP 12:40pm / NRL 3pm

CRO-17teamlist.jpg

1. Valentine Holmes 2. Sosaia Feki 3. Jack Bird 4. Ricky Leutele 5. Gerard Beale 6. James Maloney 7. Chad Townsend 8. Andrew Fifita 9. Jayden Brailey 10. Matt Prior 11. Luke Lewis 12. Wade Graham 13. Paul Gallen
Interchange: 14. Jayson Bukuya 15. Chris Heighington 16. Jeremy Latimore 17. James Segeyaro 18. Joseph Paulo 19. Kurt Capewell 20. Edrick Lee 21. Sam Tagataese

NEW-17teamlist.jpg

1. Brendan Elliott 2. Ken Sio 3. Dane Gagai 4. Peter Mata'utia 5. Nathan Ross 6. Brock Lamb 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Danny Levi 10. Josh Starling 11. Sione Mata'utia 12. Jamie Buhrer 13. Mitchell Barnett
Interchange: 14. Luke Yates 15. Jack Stockwell 16. Sam Stone 17. Jacob Saifiti 18. Jaelen Feeney 19. Joe Wardle 20. Jacob Gagan 21. Anthony Tupou

REF-YELLOW-2017.jpg

Referees: Grant Atkins, Chris Sutton
Sideline Officials: Belinda Sleeman, Dave Ryan
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Bryan Norrie

U20s Round 5
Sharks v Knights at Southern Cross Group Stadium, Sat 10:45am

ISP NSW Round 5
Newtown (Sharks) v Newcastle at Southern Cross Group Stadium, Sat 12:40pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

mozza91

Coach
I'm hoping last week was a glitch and the first 3 efforts are more indicitive of where we're at.
We won't win but will play much better.

Glendale

Juniors
I'm hoping last week was a glitch and the first 3 efforts are more indicitive of where we're at.
We won't win but will play much better.

The first 3 weeks were a good indication of where we're at. And week 4 was a reminder of how far we have to go.

Blueprint for our season will be: We'll stay competitive with all the bottom 8 teams, taking a few wins from that lot. The genuine top 8 teams will beat us by 20 and the genuine premiership contenders will beat us by 40.

I didn't see last week as a lack of effort, just totally outclassed.

mozza91

Coach
The first 3 weeks were a good indication of where we're at. And week 4 was a reminder of how far we have to go.

Blueprint for our season will be: We'll stay competitive with all the bottom 8 teams, taking a few wins from that lot. The genuine top 8 teams will beat us by 20 and the genuine premiership contenders will beat us by 40.

I didn't see last week as a lack of effort, just totally outclassed.
We certainly were outclassed but some of our defensive efforts were appalling and lacked effort imo. DWZ breaking 10 tackles in one run is indicative of that as was nobody supporting Ross' break.
If we had the same effort against Penrith that we did against the Bunnies we still lose but by 20 instead of 40.

perverse

Referee
Yeah, the Penrith game was remarkably heartless. To be fair, I think that's the fastest any of them bar probably Hodko have ever had to play footy before. The Panthers just played at a way, way faster tempo than us. Every single thing was done quicker and better... line speed, ruck speed - everything was several degrees better than our boys have seen much of before. As much as we got towelled a lot last year, there weren't many teams that kept their foot on the pedal once the trouncing was confirmed.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We'll learn from it, a week to analyse and think about it will hopefully give us a few lessons. I expect a much more committed performance this week against the sharks. We won't win but if we go with them for the full 80 I'll be pleased. Their home form so far hasn't been great either. Maybe we can learn from how the Dragons handled them in round 3, and they've got Josh Mcrone playing halfback!

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The Dragons have a good, experienced pack though. They have size coming off the bench to replace the size and skill of their starters

We don't have that

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The Dragons have a good, experienced pack though. They have size coming off the bench to replace the size and skill of their starters

We don't have that

You're not wrong there mate, but I was more referring to their game plan. No reason why we can't try to implement a thing or two from that. The Dragons really frustrated the Sharks into errors and forced them to go away from their normal power game.

We've got some big bodies in our pack and I believe we can physically match it with the sharks but we need to cut out our errors and stop gifting teams field position in our 20 metre zone. If we can go set for set with them for a bit and get ourselves into the game then I think we've got a shot at a major upset but if we let them roll 70 metres up field in every set and drop as much ball as we did in attacking position then it'll be just like our two games v Sharks last year.

macavity

Referee
We've got some big bodies in our pack

Two. The Saifitis. Who have had one full NRL pre-season and are still growing. They will be monsters in 2-3 years, but they aren't there yet.

The rest of our pack are small and Browny has acknowledged this with comments about playing to strengths (mobility, apparently).

slotmachine

First Grade
yeah well you can say that about most of them, either because they are reserve quality grade quality or because 20 year olds shouldn't have to be playing every week in first grade.