What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

dragonssamy61

First Grade
A couple of Dufty’s try’s have been top shelf and unforgetable individual efforts. His involvement in the team try and kick for Widdop was perfect.

He’s shown more than enough of what he can do and will do.

Extend him now, lock him in I say.

They are trying.
Wait till later in the year

They are trying.
Wait till later in the year

Given his increasing highlights package any decent manager will tell him to wait before signing anything.

Any deficiencies in his game are nothing that can’t be fixed by good coaching.......yes I said “good” coaching.

But the ability to see Widdop looming up and to put in the inch perfect kick, while running at full tilt, plus the audacity to see the entire Penrith defensive line in front of him and think he can still beat them all is hard to teach.

Players that can break a game open from nothing are rare, if he keeps going on this trajectory he will be attracting big money offers......proberbly from the Roosters, they still have plenty of cap space left.

Drag Queen

Bench
Given his increasing highlights package any decent manager will tell him to wait before signing anything.

Any deficiencies in his game are nothing that can’t be fixed by good coaching.......yes I said “good” coaching.

But the ability to see Widdop looming up and to put in the inch perfect kick, while running at full tilt, plus the audacity to see the entire Penrith defensive line in front of him and think he can still beat them all is hard to teach.

Players that can break a game open from nothing are rare, if he keeps going on this trajectory he will be attracting big money offers......proberbly from the Roosters, they still have plenty of cap space left.
OK can we do a swap? Teddy to our team and Dufty to the Roosters. Sounds like the perfect storm.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Our recruitment strategy is based on retaining good juniors such as Aitken.
De Belin, Dufty, Host, Lawrie, Leilua, Lomax, Nightingale and Sele, signing ex juniors such as Frizell and Sims and recruiting players externally such as Ah Mau, Graham, Hunt, Lafai, Latimore, MacDonald, Mc Innes, Mann, Pereira, Ross, Vaughan and Widdop. At the moment we have little depth in props, centres and wingers. In order to add depth in that area I believe that Korbin Sims and Curtis Rona would be worth looking at. What do others think?

Our recruitment strategy is based on retaining good juniors such as Aitken.
De Belin, Dufty, Host, Lawrie, Leilua, Lomax, Nightingale and Sele, signing ex juniors such as Frizell and Sims and recruiting players externally such as Ah Mau, Graham, Hunt, Lafai, Latimore, MacDonald, Mc Innes, Mann, Pereira, Ross, Vaughan and Widdop. At the moment we have little depth in props, centres and wingers. In order to add depth in that area I believe that Korbin Sims and Curtis Rona would be worth looking at. What do others think?

I’d like Korbin, just the idea of the two brothers on the same field trying to out do each other’s hits appeals to me.

As for depth, Lawrie and Kerr look ok to me, Lawrie sits on the bench better than most props around, doesn’t fall alseep or nuthin.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This has never been the case. Salary cap is for players only.

All of these are possibilities, but considering the other options (at each club and also on the market by 2019) and his current lack of experience and deficiencies in his game, none of these clubs are likely to break the bank for Dufty. I wouldn’t go extending him until at least the end of this year, if not next year.
I meant to say that to my knowledge the coach's salary isn't included in the salary cap, unless they recently adjusted the rules. I will correct my earlier post.

Drag Queen

Bench
Oh no, Teddy will stay, he’s only playing for beer money, most of the Roosters do.
Quality beer money at that too. Footy is only business these days. I'm seeing it more in Union although they get incredible contracts OS especially in France and Japan. Can't say I blame them either for taking the beer money. Few make it in media or have a plan B.

possm

Coach
Canterbury haven’t got the money to buy a packet of chips at the Reject Shop
The only way the Dogs will solve their cap problems is to move on expensive players and replace them with less expensive players. Dufty for Mbye is just what they would do. Morris boys for a couple of young wingers is another. All this together with Klemmer for a young Bronco's prop would solve their cap problem.

possm

Coach
I meant to say that to my knowledge the coach's salary isn't included in the salary cap, unless they recently adjusted the rules. I will correct my earlier post.
I believe next season there will be a separate cap for coaching staff / support staff.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Dufty fit and firing midway through first full NRL campaign
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2997_1998_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FEELING GOOD: Dragons young gun Matt Dufty has already ticked an important box midway through his first full season in the top grade. Picture: AAP

THE NRL season has only reached the halfway point but Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has already achieved one of his pre-season objectives having not missed a minute of the season thus far.

The livewire fullback played the last seven games of 2017 after making his debut in round 20 in Wollongong in a 30-0 win over Manly.

It left him odds on to wear the jersey on a full-time basis this year and, as he prepares to make his 13th top-grade appearance of the season against Canterbury on Monday, the 22-year-old said he’s feeling good in the middle of his first full NRL campaign.

“It was my goal coming into the start of the year to play more than half the games and I’ve done that now so I obviously want to keep that spot,” Dufty said.

“The body’s feeling all right, it gets pretty sore after the games but that’s part of the job and I’m loving it.”

The Dragons squad not involved in Origin have enjoyed a 16-day turnaround heading into the clash with the Bulldogs, leaving Dufty confident they’ll be at their best.

“We had eight days off which was a well deserved break I thought,” Dufty said.

“All the boys got away and spent time with their families and relaxed which is what you need halfway through the season.

“There was a patch there where we went straight from the Warriors [in New Zealand] straight into an Anzac Day game on the Wednesday among other things so there was definitely some wear and tear on the body. The boys definitely deserved the break and we’re all back ready to rip and tear for Monday.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5458768/dufty-fit-and-firing-in-2018/?cs=3713

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
For mine, while Dufty's heroics at times have been breath taking (note, the Canberra game), he still hasn't put in one eye catching performance against a top tier team yet.

Add to this a propensity to allow opposition kicks to bounce, a penchant to be rag dolled into touch on more than one occasion, and 'iffy' defence....Dufty has a fair way to go before he convinces me that he's a long term fullback solution.

getsmarty

Immortal
For mine, while Dufty's heroics at times have been breath taking (note, the Canberra game), he still hasn't put in one eye catching performance against a top tier team yet.

Add to this a propensity to allow opposition kicks to bounce, a penchant to be rag dolled into touch on more than one occasion, and 'iffy' defence....Dufty has a fair way to go before he convinces me that he's a long term fullback solution.

Give the kid a break...First year in the top grade...will only improve...What are the other options...Knowing our coach he would put nighty at fullback...would that make you happy ?

hewi

Bench
Give the kid a break...First year in the top grade...will only improve...What are the other options...Knowing our coach he would put nighty at fullback...would that make you happy ?

Whole heartedly agree. Who would you rather have the poor injury prone Duggan on $750,000 a year at the tail end of his career or Dufty who will physically grow as he ages to probably play at 90/92 kilos with speed to burn an X factor and I’m guessing at the moment about 30/40% of Duggans money.

hazzbeen

Bench
Whole heartedly agree. Who would you rather have the poor injury prone Duggan on $750,000 a year at the tail end of his career or Dufty who will physically grow as he ages to probably play at 90/92 kilos with speed to burn an X factor and I’m guessing at the moment about 30/40% of Duggans money.
IF he dont play against the Raiders we lose that game , he will get better he is a game breaker ....

Crush

Coach
IF he dont play against the Raiders we lose that game , he will get better he is a game breaker ....
Totally agree. He won is that game.
And I'd say without Dufty this year we wouldn't be sitting up the top of the comp.
Yes he has a long way to go to be one of the best fullbacks(there are some beauties atm) but I am stoked that he is our fullback.
#gamebreaker

Latest posts