What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

hazzbeen

Bench
Totally agree. He won is that game.
And I'd say without Dufty this year we wouldn't be sitting up the top of the comp.
Yes he has a long way to go to be one of the best fullbacks(there are some beauties atm) but I am stoked that he is our fullback.
#gamebreaker
We have been lacking and crying out for a player that can turn a game for us when things are not going to plan . Yes he will make mistakes on the way but in the long run will win games for us .... Bottom line is we have a fullback with speed to burn , that's good enough for me .....

We have been lacking and crying out for a player that can turn a game for us when things are not going to plan . Yes he will make mistakes on the way but in the long run will win games for us .... Bottom line is we have a fullback with speed to burn , that's good enough for me .....

Yep me too, I can put up with a few dropped balls, a couple of bad reads, when he can beat a whole defensive line and score from 50 out, well that'll do.

Drag Queen

Bench
For mine, while Dufty's heroics at times have been breath taking (note, the Canberra game), he still hasn't put in one eye catching performance against a top tier team yet.

Add to this a propensity to allow opposition kicks to bounce, a penchant to be rag dolled into touch on more than one occasion, and 'iffy' defence....Dufty has a fair way to go before he convinces me that he's a long term fullback solution.[/QUOTE
I guess you would rather Nighty at fullback....Give the kid a break...1st year in the top grade...I bet if he misses the tackle and we lose you go to town in your critique of him........
Not at all. I just don't hold him in as high esteem as many of here. Also, I don't regard him as a kid when compared to others in FG doing great things. Dragons were bloody lucky to get that win.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I guess you would rather Nighty at fullback....Give the kid a break...1st year in the top grade...I bet if he misses the tackle and we lose you go to town in your critique of him........
She would rather Dugan at fullback, if he was fit and available. She is still in love with Dugan. If Dugan was injured as usual, then should probably would prefer Nightingale at fullback too.

Crush

Coach
They sent every kick to the air today to test Dufty and he caught every single one of them.
He got a great try assist and another one went begging because Macdonald couldn't finish it off in the corner.
Ohh and that tackle was pretty handy to save the day at the end.
He had another fine game.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Give the kid a break...First year in the top grade...will only improve...What are the other options...Knowing our coach he would put nighty at fullback...would that make you happy ?

The answer to your question is "Millward's questionable retention skills".

In saying that, Dufty certainly earnt his keep with his match saving tackle.

ouryears

Bench
Not at all. I just don't hold him in as high esteem as many of here. Also, I don't regard him as a kid when compared to others in FG doing great things. Dragons were bloody lucky to get that win.
I would love to have someone like Ponga.

Now there is a player!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Speaking of Dugan, Mick Ennis speaking on Foxsports claimed Valentine Holmes was and should be the Sharks permanent Fullback. He claimed his speed and ability to back up any opportunity thru the middle was a quality attribute, rather than the sweeping set play style catch and pass. Then asked about Dugan....he claimed the Sharks perhaps over spent on a player that seems to struggle with injuries and is more a Centre, whilst also claiming it would be hard to remove the young Raiman from right centre.
Bingo.....and now it's Sharks problem.
As for Matt Duffy, I'm a fan and I like the Boy.

Speaking of Dugan, Mick Ennis speaking on Foxsports claimed Valentine Holmes was and should be the Sharks permanent Fullback. He claimed his speed and ability to back up any opportunity thru the middle was a quality attribute, rather than the sweeping set play style catch and pass. Then asked about Dugan....he claimed the Sharks perhaps over spent on a player that seems to struggle with injuries and is more a Centre, whilst also claiming it would be hard to remove the young Raiman from right centre.
Bingo.....and now it's Sharks problem.
As for Matt Duffy, I'm a fan and I like the Boy.
It’ll all fall into place in the coming weeks.
If the Wobegongs get Barba, Holmes is off to NQ and Dugan remains at centre, when he is fit, not the “elite fullback” position he claims he’s due by divine right.

getsmarty

Immortal
Matt Dufty has outpointed Tom Trbojevic in the Dragons 32-8 win over the Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium
NRL Premiership
  • June 16, 2018 8:08pm
  • by Mark St John
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
ee2b117196bbc36caab174292fc34ff4

Matt Dufty in action against the Sea Eagles.Source: News Corp Australia
THE Dragons now sit alone on top of the table, after beating the Sea Eagles 32-8 at WIN Stadium.

The clash pitted NSW star Tom Trbojevic up against pint sized Dragons fullback Matt Dufty, in a mouth-watering clash and they didn’t disappoint.

Dufty was instrumental for the home side at both ends of the field, setting up tries at one end and saving them at the other.

“The Dragon’s fullback has been outstanding,” Fox League’s Greg Alexander said.

Round 15

684586_640x360_large_20180616175717.jpg

How did Thompson not score?

“He was involved in plenty and his ball for Kurt Mann’s try was special, but it was his tackle early in the first half when Manly were on top, that could have turned the game.

“That was a remarkable tackle for a little man on Joel Thompson, who is a much bigger player.

“He was able to hold him up and showed great technique.

“He had some searching runs, but that was a standout moment for Dufty.”

The Dragons fullback finished with 76 quality run metres, two tackle busts, a linebreak assist, a try assist, and a try saving tackle in a complete performance.

The younger Trbojevic brother wasn’t far behind, running for 212 run metres, with seven tackle busts and an offload.

However the Sea Eagles botched a few try scoring opportunities down the left flank and Trbojevic was guilty of making some poor decisions, with ball in hand.

Brad Fittler would have had his heart in his mouth when the Manly fullback hurt his shoulder, while attempting to reach out and score in the 60th minute, but he finished the game.

Jack De Belin showed he has taken a lot out of his Origin experience, leading the Dragons pack from the front.

De Belin ran for 130 metres and had a tackle busts, two offloads and 24 tackles, in a tireless display from the Dragons lock.

All four of the Dragons Origin representatives ran for over 100 metres, including Ben Hunt, who had 113 run metres.

Tyson Frizell had 111, while Paul Vaughan finished with 151 run metres.

Overall the Dragons had eight players run for over 100 metres and Tariq Sims had 90 and a try to go with some brutal hits in defence.

The Blues could do a lot worse than use Sims as a replacement for Reagan Campbell-Gillard for Origin II.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor was hesitant to commit his representative stars to their next clash with the Eels, four days after Origin II.

“The welfare of my players is the main thing and if they play against the Eels that will be four games in 21 days,” McGregor explained.

“I’m a coach that wants my players to play rep footy, but we have to do what is best for the club and for the players.

“Melbourne have had the opportunity to rest players at the back end of recent seasons because of their success, so we will look to do that if we can.”

St George Illawarra now sit alone at the top of the table, with 11 rounds remaining and are showing no signs of the mid-season wobbles, that have plagued recent seasons.

The Sea Eagles will be left to rue a number of missed opportunities, but will clearly need some of their injured cattle to return, if they are to turn their season around.

684623_640x360_large_20180616184047.jpg

Young gun's class solo try

0:33
The Report

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop got the home side off to the perfect start, with a one on one strip forcing a turnover and Manly gave away an early penalty.

Widdop made no mistake with the penalty goal, to give the Dragons an early 2-0 lead.

Manly looked to have hit back, with a try to second-rower Joel Thompson, but Matt Dufty produced a try saving tackle to hold the ball up in his in goal, denying a near certain try.

The visitors got on the scoreboard, through a penalty of their own to Trent Hodkinson and locked up the scores at 2-2 in the 21st minute.

The Dragons took back the lead moments later, with a try to Kurt Mann, who produced a clinical finish off the back of a brilliant step and cut-out pass from Matt Dufty.

Widdop missed the sideline conversion, but the Dragons secured a 6-2 lead.

The Dragons made it back-to-back tries, when Tim Lafai snuck down the blindside and crashed over, to give the Dragons a 10-0 lead.

The touch judges were split on whether Widdop kicked the sideline conversion, but the referee waived it away.

The Sea Eagles hit back with a try to Tom Wright five minutes before the break and Hodkinson slotted the conversion to narrow the gap to 10-8.

However he Dragons would finish the half off in style, with some quick hands putting Tariq Sims away down the left and he beat three defenders to crash over.

Widdop slotted the conversion to give the home side a handy 16-8 lead heading into the sheds.

Manly failed to finish their first two sets of the second 40 and the Dragons pounced with an early try to Widdop, to push their lead out to 22-8.

The Dragons were running away with it, when James Graham crashed over in the 56th minute and Widdop converted for a commanding 28-8 lead.

Manly looked to have got one back in the 65th minute, when Addin Fonua-Blake crashed over, but Tyson Frizell was ruled to have been obstructed by a lead runner.

The Dragons put the game well and truly to bed, with their sixth try of the night to Nene MacDonald, after a tap down from Tariq Sims.

Manly had all the ball late, but couldn’t get over the line and the Dragons secured an impressive 32-8 victory, to return to the top of the table.

Dragons 32 (Mann, Lafai, Sims, Widdop, Graham, MacDonald tries; Widdop 4 goals) def. Sea Eagles 8 (T. Wright try; Hodkinson 2 goals)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/e99a5389b2859751225ec0dfc8e47cc5