What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Gidley

roopy

Referee
The man everyone loves to hate.

I could wait till after the game to say how well he is playing this year, but I have total confidence that he will play well, so I will say it now.

Matt has been hot and cold for a few years, partly due to the injury that kept him out for a long time in 2001 and from which he returned far too early and almost straight into SOO (when he had a terrible game and series), and partly because he has played just about every rep game and club game since that injury, more games than anyone else in the sport, so he became very jaded.

The difference for Matt this year is that he had a proper off season for the first time in about four years. He started the season a bit rusty, with a lot of his passes missing their mark early in the season, but even early on he was showing speed and step like we haven't seen from him since his injury. He was doing things like running down players like Sherwin and being first to kick chases for the first time in years.

Now that he has got his touch back with his passing game he is in the form that saw him rated the best centre in the world in 2000. With his added mobility his defence is back to being as good as anyone else in the game (not that the poor defence tag wasn't always bullshit based on a handfull of poor games).

Even when he was below his best he was still in the top three or four in the game, but now that he has found his best form again I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the game.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
roopy said:
Even when he was below his best he was still in the top three or four in the game, but now that he has found his best form again I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the game.

Your kidding me right, i hope you meant that he is in the top 3 or 4 centres in the game and not one of the top 3 or 4 players in the whole game

salivor

First Grade
You really love trying to get a bite Roopy.
If Gasnier wasn't injured Gidley wouldn't be playing. If Gidley isn't playing his lap dog Tahu isn't either. Perry shouldn't be in the team and O'Davis should never have been picked for QLD. Newcastle are very lucky to have anyone bar Johns, Kennedy and Buderus playing origin and even then Buderus has Wing right on his tail.

roopy

Referee
Sorry MQ, I did mean to say centre instead of player.

Bronco,
Here is the best possible Knights team from the players we have available this season.

O'Davis - Qld and Aus
Tahu - Country, NSW and Aus
Gidley - Country, NSW and Aus
Hughes - NSW
McDougall - NSW and Aus
Kurt Gidley - A future rep player - only the level is unclear
Johns - captain of Country, NSW and Aus
Kennedy - Country, NSW and Australia
Abraham - Country
Simpson - Country Nsw and Aus
Parsons - Country
Buderus - Country, NSW and Aus
Perry - Country and NSW

Is it any wonder we have no trouble knocking over Brisbane?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Who can forget your prediction of Gidley and Tahu last year when they were going to carve up Hoppa and Mcguinnes.

How's the 7's blitzer going? I have him in one of my VNRL teams for some reason :?

roopy

Referee
El Duque said:
Who can forget your prediction of Gidley and Tahu last year when they were going to carve up Hoppa and Mcguinnes.

How's the 7's blitzer going? I have him in one of my VNRL teams for some reason :?

El,
We arn't saying too much about it at present, but a lot of Newcastle fans think that having Kurt at 5/8 was the real reason the Knights turned around their form the other night.
Although he didn't do many things that worked, he added a degree of unpredictabillity to a Knights attack that has become far too predictable in recent times. Opposition teams don't just have to watch Johns anymore, they have to watch Kidley too.

legend

Coach
Can't agree Roopy. Gidley is ordinary and if I may, allow me to backtrack two weeks when the Kinghts took on the Sharks. It was late in the game and one M Gidley passed the ball to the touchie in the last five minutes of the match.

He is a hack and because he is mates with Johns, he gets the inside running. If Johns did not come out in the newspapers and say Gidley should be picked, he probably wouldn't have.

Gidley has other people fighting his selectiob battles for him.

salivor

First Grade
What are you on about Roopy? The Broncos have more rep players than the Knights and they don't need City or Country representation to get those numbers up.

melon....

Coach
Gidley is a turnstile. A human boomgate. Oh yeah. He soils the good name of Centre. He is absolute crap.

QLD will win this one, and well. And the targets will be Turnstiles Gidley and Dropsies Tahu.

roopy

Referee
melon.... said:
Gidley is a turnstile. A human boomgate. Oh yeah. He soils the good name of Centre. He is absolute crap.

QLD will win this one, and well. And the targets will be Turnstiles Gidley and Dropsies Tahu.

Two great games later Gidley is back to being the best centre in the game. His defence this year has been better than any other centre by so far it isn't funny.

I loved that Tate was moved away from him, but Gidley couldn't lose a great patsy like Tate and went looking for him late in the game. Gidley was nearly on the left wing at one stage so that he could have a run at Tate.

~bedsy~

First Grade
melon.... said:
QLD will win this one, and well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Great prediction Melon...... Gidley is not the best centre in the game... Yes he can have really bad off games, but the past 2 Origin games he has been playing very well.
I'm not going to sit here and give a huge rap because he doesn't deserve it, last night though he was good along side of Tahu, but hay that's only one game.
Yes I do like him, his a Knight... but he isn't the best centre.

salivor

First Grade
Bedsy you just narrowly escaped being part of the I'm dellusional and proud of it club. Current membership of 1 person, roopy who gets special footage beemed into his home that nobody else gets to see. :lol:

~bedsy~

First Grade
salivor said:
Bedsy you just narrowly escaped being part of the I'm dellusional and proud of it club. Current membership of 1 person, roopy who gets special footage beemed into his home that nobody else gets to see. :lol:
Narrowly escaped :p
Well I'm not going to stick up for the Knights players because they play for my fave team, if they play like shit, then I say it as it is.

midas

Juniors
millersnose
what are you talking about? Cronulla don,t have any centres to swap !
On a more serious note ,J Lyon was the best centre on the paddock last night and if it wasn,t for the unbelievable pick up by Tahu,Gidley would have looked silly for putting the pass on his ankles.
According to the papers,Gidley made a few tackles-have to check the tape,I dont remember any.

Latest posts