What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

big_matt

Juniors
Are you really that stupid or just a shocking memory retention.

People have stated they want Melbourne to stand on their own two feet, without the handouts (subsidised by all clubs, via news ltd profits).

Not one person has stated that they want to return to 1975 & the NSWRL & play in front of 5,000 people at local suburban parks. Wanker.

But thats inevitable if you take away any national interest in the game. Storm are backed by News Ltd. As are the Broncos (70% owned and heavily financed by News ltd). Take away those 2 teams and the following happens:

1) Most of the major sponsors don't renew their deals (why would you pay a fortune to have your brand associated with something thats only watched in Sydney?) Remember the storm have the highest jersey sponsor revenue in the NRL despite the games not being shown in Vic. Why is that???
2) TV channels offer significantly smaller deals. Remember NSWRL was on ABC for a tiny tv contract before the game went national
3) Due to low money coming in from sponsors and tv, the salary cap is vastly reduced and some teams will go out of business.
4) Tiny salary cap means all of the good players move abroad (as is already starting to happen even with the current cap).
5) Teams playing without the best players = crowds go down and it wouldnt take a lot for some of the sydney teams to go from 11k down to 5k.

You can't have it both ways. You cant say kick the Storm or Broncos out but keep big crowds in Sydney. It wont happen. Anyone who works in sport will tell you that. If the game was so good before it went national why was ABC paying peanuts to show it, and why were 5k people attending the games?

The sad thing is League has always been damaged by the small minded NSW mentality around the game since its inception. It started around the same time as AFL, but while they are now getting 70k or 80k crowds for regular season games, we are averaging about 12k which is a total embarrasment. They have a huge tv deal but we have 300 million less even though we have SOO and internationals and more regular season games. Why? Let's not even mention the joke of a world cup we have where 12 teams of born and bred australians play against each other!!

The even sadder thing is with the inwards looking mentality on this topic, the game may not even make any progress from where we are today (and may even die in the future at first grade level).

I would ask the the people ranting on this thread why they weren't doing the same rants at the cowboys 4 years ago or the broncos? Is is because the storm are victorian or is it because they win all the time? Because those two other teams have received the same help the storm has.

Last edited:

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
If a team in a city of 4 million people cannot generate the sponsorship dollars to support themselves then get rid of them.. They are just a drain on an already limited amount of funds available to NRL teams and just use that money to pay top dollar to the best young players going around.. Peter O'Sullivan freely admits he was able to get the cream of the crop of young players he did down there because they offered more than everyone else.

big_matt

Juniors
If a team in a city of 4 million people cannot generate the sponsorship dollars to support themselves then get rid of them.. They are just a drain on an already limited amount of funds available to NRL teams and just use that money to pay top dollar to the best young players going around.. Peter O'Sullivan freely admits he was able to get the cream of the crop of young players he did down there because they offered more than everyone else.

I certainly cant recall him saying this. Care to provide a quote from him?

elbusto

Coach
I agree with you Big Matt but I have to admit I do not care anymore. The anti Melbourne Paranoia factory here is wearing me down and my patience is thin.

drake

First Grade
Apologise. I was posting at work and mustn't have done ctrl/c properly when I got to OzJet's post.

Has been changed.

Suggest you consult a dictionary. Jealousy & Hatred are two completely words.
Thanks for that. I looked both up, just in case they'd changed the definitions recently, and hatred is still the applicable term.

Anyone who has read these boards long enough knows what I think of Balmain having had to merge.

However, equally I have never been against expansion.
As you can see, I've been around a long time. I find your bleating about 2 foundation clubs being forced to merge into one rather ridiculous considering your support of a franchise that was foisted onto us all at the expense of foundation clubs. You know, ALL the foundation clubs that didn't have their boss on the NRL board?

In 50 years time, Melbourne will be a far stronger outfit on & off field than Cronulla or the Roosters.
This is awesome. In 50 years, many of us will be dead. The world could be completely different.
In 50 years, the ball will be made of frikken laser beams!

How wonderful for you. I never expect to change anyones minds, but I will continue to make you look like a group of insular, jealous twits...

You need to put a 'try' between 'to' & 'make'. Or do you just assume that everyone reads your posts and says "Wow! Meltiger is so incisive! Those twits he attacks are all so insular and jealous!"

& calling a team that bar for one immensely successful era, that has won 4 premierships in 78 seasons a "great" club is mad too... Yet you St George fans seem to have no issue doing that ;-)

----------------

People can go around in circles all they like on this.

Melbourne finished 4th and won the premiership.

St George finished first and lost finals to 8th & 6th
Canterbury finished second, beat 7th and lost to 8th
Gold Coast finished third and lost to 6th & 8th

^ these three clubs, and their inability to perform in September are the sole reason for Melbourne winning the premiership. Nothing else.
Drivel.

Is there any point there where you addressed the issue of Melbourne being forced on the Rugby league public by a US businessman? No.

Just sad and tired flames against St George.

I love the 'bar for one immensely successful era" part. So now revisionists are trying to forget 56-67 to call Saints a sh*t team? Bar one immensely successful era, Brisbane Broncos only got into the finals a couple of times.

Your keyboard is not your friend; every time you use it, you end up looking stupid.

elbusto

Coach
Thanks for that. I looked both up, just in case they'd changed the definitions recently, and hatred is still the applicable term.

As you can see, I've been around a long time. I find your bleating about 2 foundation clubs being forced to merge into one rather ridiculous considering your support of a franchise that was foisted onto us all at the expense of foundation clubs. You know, ALL the foundation clubs that didn't have their boss on the NRL board?

This is awesome. In 50 years, many of us will be dead. The world could be completely different.
In 50 years, the ball will be made of frikken laser beams!

You need to put a 'try' between 'to' & 'make'. Or do you just assume that everyone reads your posts and says "Wow! Meltiger is so incisive! Those twits he attacks are all so insular and jealous!"

Drivel.

Is there any point there where you addressed the issue of Melbourne being forced on the Rugby league public by a US businessman? No.

I love the 'bar for one immensely successful era" part. So now revisionists are trying to forget 56-67 to call Saints a sh*t team? Bar one immensely successful era, Brisbane Broncos only got into the finals a couple of times.

Your keyboard is not your friend; every time you use it, you end up looking stupid.
As a person from outside normal NRL territory (Tassie) I find postings like yours most amusing.

Its one continuous rant against reality.

You seem to be full of angst - my suggestion is to get over it.

Meltiger comes across fine to me. Its you who seems to be spilling over with irrational anger.

Smell the flowers or something.:roll:

Brycey

Juniors
Melbournites, don't listen to the Sydney brigade...they have their head up their own arses.

People from the rest of the country know the importance of a national competition and if it takes expansion clubs being propped up until they are profitable than so be it.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if a club merely sat on their laurels because they were getting hand outs and did nothing to raise revenue themselves, sound familiar Sydney?

I think its there for all to see that Melbourne are doing what they can to make themselves profitable.

elbusto

Coach
Melbournites, don't listen to the Sydney brigade...they have their head up their own arses.

People from the rest of the country know the importance of a national competition and if it takes expansion clubs being propped up until they are profitable than so be it.

The only time I would have a problem with it is if a club merely sat on their laurels because they were getting hand outs and did nothing to raise revenue themselves, sound familiar Sydney?

I think its there for all to see that Melbourne are doing what they can to make themselves profitable.
Well we had better tell Drakey before he suffers a heart attack:roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I say all funds from pokies should go into a central pot and be distributed equally seeing as some teams do not have this an income generating option. Well it is only fair that everyone is treat the same!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I would ask the the people ranting on this thread why they weren't doing the same rants at the cowboys 4 years ago or the broncos? Is is because the storm are victorian or is it because they win all the time? Because those two other teams have received the same help the storm has.

Although I hold no grudge against Melbourne what so ever (except for them trying to rip our captains arm off in 07), Id guess that its because teams that were more profitable (like the Crushers, Steelers and Bears) were kicked out and yet a manufactured team with basically no support and losing $8million a year, were given a licence.

Some people dont realise the importance of manufactured teams like the Storm, those same people dont realise that no club is bigger then the games future. But at the time, the decision was made by the admin that some teams were expendable. How the hell the Sharks were allowed to survive ahead of the Crushers, Souths or the Bears is beyond me and just proves that the admin were head hunting.

big country

Juniors
I say all funds from pokies should go into a central pot and be distributed equally seeing as some teams do not have this an income generating option. Well it is only fair that everyone is treat the same!

i say next time the govt budget is in surplus that ALL funds go to the Storm because they are soooooo important to keep afloat!! ;-)

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

I guess i will need to carry a tape recorder the next time I speak to him.. Don't worry it is all within the salary cap rules... They just spend more on 15-16 year olds etc.. Once they get to the top 25 etc.. they have sorted the wheat from the chaff and manage the cap smartly by supplementing their superstars with solid first graders and promising youngsters..

meltiger

First Grade

Because :shock: There seems to be an unfortunately high proportion of Saints fans who are anti-Melbourne post the GF. Wonder why that is...

I'm sure I didn't say St George were a sh*t club. I have a lot of love for St George, but yes, your history outside of the great era is definitively woeful. 4 premierships in almost 80 years of competition...

Brisbane have won more premierships in the last 20 than Saints have in 80 years of competition...

ho hum, the above posted by the insular Sydney twit who is happy for the game to be played in front of 10k Sydney crowds and no where else.

re: My teams merger, I fail to see how one cannot be anti-rationalisation, and pro-expansion at the same time. My belated acceptance of what has been done is a different issue - I could sook and moan constantly about the JV ... But it's not going to change anything. Better to just support what is there, than turn away from the game like some twits do.

---------

At the end of the day Drake, you can hurl all kinds of abuse at me as you are doing, you can sook and moan about the money Melbourne are recieving ... But I know what the upcoming independant commision will decide with regards to propping Melbourne up ... & I suspect you may be dissapointed ;-) Hint ... The future health and growth of the game is more important than your club ...

Last edited:

Chook Herron

Juniors
Whilst it is critical for Melbourne to be successful for the sake of a national competition, I think it is about time that they learn to be self-sufficient. They have made the necessary headway in regards to developing a junior system and with the amount of success they have had in recent times, they should have the marketing staff capable of selling the Storm name to Victorian corporate sponsors and the Victotrian public to be successful without being propped up. I'm not sayng that all the funding should be pulled overnight if News Ltd leaves the game, but a gradule reduction of funding overtime should be implemented to force the Storm to stand on their own two feet.

Last edited: