What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
I’m not sure if LU is very good for the mental health these days.

There’s a lot of bullies here unfortunately who want to control what you can post.

Not the mods either lol.
Be assured that this thread is a safe place TSP. You don’t deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel like that. If you need to talk or if there’s anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Your posts are A grade material. If I ever write a book I will include your Rooster stories.

Thanks Hindy and vice versa.

But if you share your world, people come at you.

I’ve been trying to get a “True Crime Dragons” thing going at SGI, but the poor blokes have probably had enough.

I've never been a big fan of this time of year... but I like to compare my feelings about the festive season to Phoebe Cates' character in Gremlins - and then realise that things are much better than they could be 😂

I do the dv stuff every now and then, we brace ourselves at Xmas.

The grog is often the culprit.

Anyone feeling a bit under the weather, lonely etc, don’t try to drink your worries away.

We speak here about pumping the good thoughts into your head instead.

Last edited:
I would argue its not alcohol that is the problem.

It is the way in which people choose to use alcohol that is the problem.

It effects people differently.

Some people simply shouldn’t drink.

And resorting to it in difficult times, it’s never helped anyone cope with anything.

Not everyone has the same stamina to call it a day or refrain from horrific conduct.

Towns that restrict alcohol see a decline in violence and horror.

I've stopped drinking for the last 4mths Not that I had an issue. I average about 8 a week spread over 3 days.
I found quite a few people asking why. What's wrong? Just have one. It's become tiresome.

You’ve had a bloody good year looking at things from above.

About all my friends used to drink often, now almost everyone’s moved on.

The way it was done by many was to ease out of the lifestyle. Miss a few nights here and there, no grog at home. Then you pick up new interests.

Associate good times with people and other stuff not the grog.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Last edited:

the phantom menace

First Grade
I just lost the taste for it at the start of this year, after getting Covid. When the taste came back it wasn't quite the same, and in my old(er) age I don't like any of my old favourites as much.

Now I only ever have one drink (beer, glass of wine, or glass of spirit), if I'm out or at home - and even then that'll only be once or twice a week at most.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So it looks like after 20 years together, my wife and I are separating.

Fell out of love and became friends. I got comfortable and complacent and stopped being a loving husband.

We are dealing with it in an incredibly adult fashion which I am so grateful for, but that is a small victory at this point.

We’ll be fine. We are both intelligent and successful people but it really sucks and I am so regretful that I took things for granted.

I know many of you have been through this shit and survived and plenty of you have thriving relationships. It’s easy to get caught up in your own shit and forget what is important.

On the plus side, we don’t have kids or dogs so it’s comparatively easy and manageable.

Avenger

Immortal

Fell out of love and became friends. I got comfortable and complacent and stopped being a loving husband.

We are dealing with it in an incredibly adult fashion which I am so grateful for, but that is a small victory at this point.

We’ll be fine. We are both intelligent and successful people but it really sucks and I am so regretful that I took things for granted.

I know many of you have been through this shit and survived and plenty of you have thriving relationships. It’s easy to get caught up in your own shit and forget what is important.

On the plus side, we don’t have kids or dogs so it’s comparatively easy and manageable.
That's no good. I wish you the best in finding (relationship) happiness again.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Sorry to hear GG. Sounds like there's some small positives in there, in the way you are each able to handle it at the moment. But it's a tough emotional path to tread - as evidenced in the honesty with which you expressed your regrets.

Sending/wishing you the strength to navigate it all, while not losing touch with the times and things esp. parts of you/your husbandry that aren't regrets, of which there must've been plenty over such an enduring 20 year period. Go a little easy on yourself when you can - but fight like a bastard to keep those Barry Manilow vinyls!

Happy MEel

First Grade

Sorry to hear this Gary. I appreciate you sharing this vulnerable and honest post as I know this kind of insightful perspective can help anyone who may be going through something similar.

It sounds like you both are dealing with it as positively and maturely as possible, which is a credit to you both. Feel free to reach out any time on here if you need an ear.

Cheers mate

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sorry to hear GG. Sounds like there's some small positives in there, in the way you are each able to handle it at the moment. But it's a tough emotional path to tread - as evidenced in the honesty with which you expressed your regrets.

Sending/wishing you the strength to navigate it all, while not losing touch with the times and things esp. parts of you/your husbandry that aren't regrets, of which there must've been plenty over such an enduring 20 year period. Go a little easy on yourself when you can - but fight like a bastard to keep those Barry Manilow vinyls!
Thanks Phantom. Plenty of great memories that we are still talking about. If she even thinks about taking my Barry Manilow Vinyls then there will be hell to pay!

We'll continue to be friends and have agreed to help each other settle. All is not lost.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sorry to hear this Gary. I appreciate you sharing this vulnerable and honest post as I know this kind of insightful perspective can help anyone who may be going through something similar.

It sounds like you both are dealing with it as positively and maturely as possible, which is a credit to you both. Feel free to reach out any time on here if you need an ear.

Cheers mate
Thanks Meely.

Latest posts