What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallica at the BDO!!! OH YEAH!

Paullyboy

Coach
Holy freaking crap!

Metallicas gig at yesterdays big day out was easily the best performance ive seen put on in a long time! We were lucky enough to get right up in front of the stage, inside that D Barrier thing, and i tell you what - it was the best night of rock i can remember! James worked the crowd brilliantly, the new bass player was absolutely great and Kirk whipped out some bloody brilliant riffs, even in between songs he was always going! And the best thing was that they whipped out a heap of old classics like Fade to Black, Harvester of Sorrow and Seek and Destroy. What a freakin night!

Samwise

Bench
They were freaking sensational. I was wrapped when they came back out and did nothing else matters/ master of puppets, then One, then Enter Sandman. They were deadset outstanding.

Samwise

Bench
Did anyone go and see the Mars Volta? talk about a high energy set they put on! i was gonna skip the end of their show so i could see the full set from the strokes, but ended up staying cos they were that good. I was still dissappointed that i couldnt see the whole strokes set though cos they were fantastic when i finally got over there as well.

Samwise

Bench
Yeah got there just in time for them after a massive wait in crazy traffic. I hadn't previously known much of their stuff but have to say they were great. Will definitely be getting into more of their stuff. Other bands I saw that were awesome were the Datsuns, Gerling (as always), 1200 techniques, Muse, and Jet.

Paullyboy

Coach
I got there at 9, so i had a bloody 1 and half hour wait just to get in, and the opening bands were all crap so it wasnt worth it! :(

I missed mars volta, i wanted to see them, but it was more important for me to get up inside the D barricade for metallica, we got inside after waiting for ages just near the end of the Hoodoo's. Geez the Strokes are ordinary too! It was hilarious listening to everyone over near the blue stage booing them and telling them to get off so Metallica would be able to start.

Japunga put on an awesome display in the Essential stage too, that was the first good band of the day if i remember correctly, Butterfly Effect as always put on a good show too.

I heard Metallica were crap....had this massive bank of speakers that should have had sound to blow your head off and you could hardly hear them.

Paullyboy

Coach
They were far from crap, but then again I have no idea what was heard at the back. I do know from other bands during the day that sound from the Blue/orange stages didnt travel well to the back. Thats why we made sure we were as close to the stage as possible, and trust me, them speakers worked! :twisted:

Paullyboy

Coach
They were far from crap, but then again I have no idea what was heard at the back. I do know from other bands during the day that sound from the Blue/orange stages didnt travel well to the back. Thats why we made sure we were as close to the stage as possible, and trust me, them speakers worked! :twisted:

Paullyboy

Coach

Samwise

Bench
put that down to the huge coastal winds over the speakers. There was that problem with Muse, but definitely not metallica.

The thing i hate about Big day out is the swag of whinging bogans it brings out every year. These are the dickheads that go around complaining every year cos the lineup isn't 95% hardcore metal or too alternative. Big day out was never about catering to just one musical taste or the extreme top 40 mainstream. You'd think these tools would learn that by now. Then there are the people that go for the first time and expect they can run the show, it happens every year, people showing up early for one band and trying to boo the other band off stage in hope that the one act they paid $100 to see would come on early. thats never gonna happen, so why don't these people shut the hell up and let people enjoy the other acts. it happened when blink came, i was downright embarressed by the way yothu yindi were treated, it happened last year with people whining cos janes addiction were on and they were waiting for foo fighters, and it happened this year with c0ckheads waiting for metallica, showing no respect for the strokes.

in the future, if you are only going for one band, go to a sideshow instead and stop being so geniused by setting out to spoil the fun of others who actually have some diversity in their musical tastes.

Samwise

Bench
yeah pretty much, they went off stage, started up some pyro's with war like explosions, spot lights, machine gun sounds etc, then came out while the stage was covered in smoke, and the next thing u hear is the guitar intro to One. deadset magic.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeh the pyro and the giant flames were mad, you could feel the heat off the flames too that made it even better.

As for samwise, Im assuming you are having a go at me, I dont like the Strokes - i aint gonna pretend i do, but its not that much to do with their music, I dont care for the people in the band. I didnt boo them, but im not saying that i was offended by anyone who did, I actually enjoyed it.

And im not one of the people who just listened to the metal bands (even though they were my favourites), I enjoyed the Dandy Warhols set, saw most of the Black Eyed Peas and even checked out Kamahl for a little while, haha, but that doesnt mean it was a 'good lineup'. My biggest problem with the lineup is that their is too much desire to have DJ's and MC's or whatever they want to be called, and less focus on the best bands from each location. Sure there is plenty of Aussie bands, but how many local Brissie or Gold Coast bands were there? About 3 or 4 i think!

Samwise

Bench
if you werent booing the strokes i wasn't having a go at you paullyboy. personally i thought their set was awesome, luckily i wasn't near the tossers who were complaining about them. do u know them or something? what have they done to you to make you not like them?

the point i'm making is if you don't like them, you dont have to be there. there are plenty of people who are into the bands who are on before the headliner and they shouldnt have to put up with a pack of whining bogans when they have paid their $100 to enjoy the music they like. Last year was the worst, I genuinly wanted to see Janes Addiction, but got trapped at the D-barrier entrance with a bunch of people who couldnt stop complaining cos they didnt know who they were.

another group of people i can't stand are these supposed musical tech experts, who criticise everything from a particular riff to the brand of amp the band uses.

all i'm saying is if you like a band, great! jump around like noone is watching enjoying the tunes you love. if you don't like a band, DON'T GO SEE THEM!! and if you absolutely have to be there, just shut the f**k UP so others who do like them can have the opportunity to get some enjoyment out of the day as well.