What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward spills some important info.

Frank Facer

First Grade
It was great to read that we wanted a halfback who plays both sides of the field. I have always believed that a halfback and 5/8 should play both sides of the field. Thurston and Cronk both play both sided of the field.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Blake Lawrie is one guy i see with a bright future.

He came off the bench for Illawarra and looked right at home against more mature players.
Absolutely he looks good doesn't he ? ...He and Sele are the two young middle forwards that will push Packer, Vaughan, Ah Mau and Sims in the future .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Those who believe Hasler is Dragons bound next year will be disappointed.

Cleary has already said 'no' to the club.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It's finally refreshing to see the club being proactive and organised in their future planning, unlike the panic & dartboard recruitment of the last 6 years.
I just wonder if this new sub committee of business professionals led by Mark Coyne, have shown the old boys brigade how things need to work in the real world.
It certainly seems steps in the right direction and now needs the rights coaching appointment for 2018 to further improve and develop the player talent.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
In relation to the possibility of Widdop playing fullback, I can understand the thought process in attack, but does he have what it takes to steer the team around in defense from the back?
It's been a while since he's played there and he will need to do a lot of convincing for me to believe he can come up with those try saving tackles and defuse pressure bombs. His kick returns will come under question too.
The club needs to not make the mistake of thinking that you can just play any 5/8 at fullback because that's the way the game is 'evolving' these days. A fullback still needs to be able to do things that only a natural fullback can and should do.

Vinnie

Juniors
ABout the fullback i keep hearing and reading that they are waiting on Dugan but i'm also reading and hearing that they are looking to make an offer on a big name fullback if Dugan goes ???? I wonder who and im all confused.

giboz71

First Grade
ABout the fullback i keep hearing and reading that they are waiting on Dugan but i'm also reading and hearing that they are looking to make an offer on a big name fullback if Dugan goes ???? I wonder who and im all confused.

I alluded to this a few weeks back. With Duges and Widdop not confirmed to re-sign, that's $1.5m in cap money. Surely that brings another elite player into calculations.

Sure it would be nice for Duges to stay and play centre, but we are nicely stocked there. Aitken has been signed long term, Mann and Milne can play on the left and Herbert will surely be knocking on the door of FG next year. And we still have Lafai if he comes good. We have plenty of centres.

Teddy and RTS are the FB's I'd be chasing, but neither are are likely to come. But if it's true that we're looking at another big name FB to replace Duges if he leaves, that can only be a good thing. An elite fullback who can run and ball play, combined with Hunt could be the formula we're looking for.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
how certain are you a new coach is coming?

Just relaying the wording that was presented.
A new coach will come ............... how long before it does, who knows but it will happen.
Just think someone like Cleary is more suited as a long term prospect and probably a more realistic option.

I just can't see Dessie heading our way.

Vinnie

Juniors
Are the rumours and rumblings coming from all over that Cleary to Bulldogs not true then ???? And not to mention the other ones that due to the comeback and new found power of the Fulton clan at Brookvale that Hasler is back there in 18 also not true ???

It may seem that neither of the two are bound for the Dragons in 2018 !!

What a merry go round

Old Timer

Coach
In relation to the possibility of Widdop playing fullback, I can understand the thought process in attack, but does he have what it takes to steer the team around in defense from the back?
It's been a while since he's played there and he will need to do a lot of convincing for me to believe he can come up with those try saving tackles and defuse pressure bombs. His kick returns will come under question too.
The club needs to not make the mistake of thinking that you can just play any 5/8 at fullback because that's the way the game is 'evolving' these days. A fullback still needs to be able to do things that only a natural fullback can and should do.
HI TRVR
The transition is normally FB to 5/8 not the other way round, so me thinks that there is no chance of Widdop going back to FB.
If Widdop has a good season he will continue to be the 5/8 and Field will have to bide his time.
Potentially there is some logic in Field to FB and then back to 5/8 as a matured player as he is very young and has played FB previously in juniors I think.
The quandary is where to with Dufty, as not 10 minutes ago he was the talk of the town and now barely gets a mention because all the hype has moved to Field.
Maybe Dufty's pathway is going to be via the wing for 2 years and then back to FB. If that's the case then Nighty needs to be tapped on the shoulder now.
Funny we have needed a quality half forever and now we have finally signed one, it has thrown the place into disarray on the back of the recent retention of juniors and possible retention of current senior players.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Where has the implementation of this purported common sense and sound management been the last 5 years?

Yet another indictment on the club. Can't even do the basics.

Straight Shooter

I'd have blown the joint up years ago, but I'm a hot head.

Stunned by what happened on the weekend, but the cattle is pretty good.

Basil has done a good job. From Day 1 in this role, basically.

The High Performance Committe have, in reality, replaced the Board as the day to day runners of the Club. Our Eexec structure is from the old world at Board level, but the HPC is very much looking to the future.

Startling that is happened so quickly, but thats what having good people at the right levels does.

Now, where is Sir Mark Coyne? Twice now he's saved our bacon.

Get him up here, I wanna boof him!

JDHD

Juniors
I listened to the same interview. I found it reallly interesting that the long term view at the club is that coaches will be brought in and basically given the role of coaching, while a board will oversee recruitment, retention and development. The reasons given were that if you have to sack the coach, there isn't a giant amount of turmoil like we're seeing at Manly where the team is shredded and almost unrecognisable after they're done. It gives consistency and also fosters a long term policy of developing juniors from the St George and South Coast regions.

I reckon it's a genius idea, and as Ben Ikin indicated, it's the way all the NFL teams are run.

BennyV

Referee
HI TRVR
The transition is normally FB to 5/8 not the other way round, so me thinks that there is no chance of Widdop going back to FB.
If Widdop has a good season he will continue to be the 5/8 and Field will have to bide his time.
Potentially there is some logic in Field to FB and then back to 5/8 as a matured player as he is very young and has played FB previously in juniors I think.
The quandary is where to with Dufty, as not 10 minutes ago he was the talk of the town and now barely gets a mention because all the hype has moved to Field.
Maybe Dufty's pathway is going to be via the wing for 2 years and then back to FB. If that's the case then Nighty needs to be tapped on the shoulder now.
Funny we have needed a quality half forever and now we have finally signed one, it has thrown the place into disarray on the back of the recent retention of juniors and possible retention of current senior players.
Yeah, Dufty seems to have been thrown on the scrap heap.

DW, a decent u20s season from Steve Marsters and we'll all forget about Field!

Latest posts