What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra hooker Mitch Rein in no hurry to extend his contract with the Dragons

• 5 hours ago
  • by Simon Brunsdon
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
DRAGONS hooker Mitch Rein is off contract this year and says he’s in no hurry to sign a new deal with St George Illawarra.
A Kiama Knights junior, Rein has spent his entire NRL career with St George Illawarra and has racked up 107 games for the club since making his senior debut in 2011.
But his future in Wollongong could be in jeopardy.
Rein’s position looked under threat when it was rumoured the club was chasing the signature of disgruntled Tigers veteran Robbie Farah during the off-season.
That pursuit fell through, but it certainly showed the Dragons’ intent, and cast doubts over Rein’s future in the Red V.
Rein has now revealed he has no time frame on putting pen to paper to shore up his future.
In fact he’s happy to stay out of the negotiations altogether.
“I’m not too sure to be honest, I’ve left it in the hands of my manager and the club,” Rein told Fox Sports.
“I really want to concentrate on footy, I don’t want to get caught up in the negotiations.
“I know it’s been well documented in the past that it has affected players but I feel like I’m in a good place at the moment, mentally and physically.
“I don’t think it will affect me too much.”
Rein has indicated his desire to become an 80-minute player numerous times in the past, but has been forced to share the duties throughout his time at the Dragons.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...p/news-story/5293990e702330ad39d0c6192c5ba0fb
Last year he averaged just 59 minutes per game, as Heath L’Estrange and Craig Garvey chipped in off the bench.
Those two players are gone, but the club has since recruited Josh McCrone and Siliva Havili who can both perform the raking duties.
Rein again stated his desire to become the club’s sole hooker.
“Towards the end of the year and in the past I’ve played a few games for 80 minutes,” Rein said.
“I’m comfortable with doing that, it’s just a matter of getting the opportunity.”
“This is probably the fittest I’ve seen him look,” Marshall told Fox Sports.
“That’s important when you need to play 80 minutes in the middle.
“If there’s someone in our team that I was tipping to have a big year it would be him.”
Dragons coach Paul McGregor hasn’t indicated whether he will use McCrone or Havili as a bench hooker this year or not.
Havili can play a utility role in the second row as well, making him a valuable asset with the drop in interchange this season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/e0ea6d4e5df6164ea2e1314650172782

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
Mitch Rein is a must keep for the dragons.

Personally i never really rated him when Benett bought into first grade but he is getting better and better last season i thought he was a standout.
Plays very tough and above his weight and still young, His best is yet to come..

If the dragons loose Rein who would be a capable replace on the market Im not sure there are any....

BrissyRedV

Bench

Personally i never really rated him when Benett bought into first grade but he is getting better and better last season i thought he was a standout.
Plays very tough and above his weight and still young, His best is yet to come..

If the dragons loose Rein who would be a capable replace on the market Im not sure there are any....

I tend to agree. Unless we could sign an outstandingly talented option ie. Segeyaro or Jake Friend type of game breaking hooker, Rein should be retained so long as he he is reasonable with his asking price.

giboz71

First Grade

Yeh, I tend to agree.

Never really been a big fan and thought he was pretty average compared to the better hookers in the comp. And his service from dummy half has been average at best.

But you're right, he's tough, is a great defender and can always sniff out a try. And really, what other options are out there in the market? Unless you're getting a top hooker like Smith, Farah, Friend or Luke, or perhaps Segeyaro, no other hooker would really be a significant upgrade. And you can bet if he does leave, he'll shine at his new club and we'll all regret letting him leave.

Last edited:

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Rein is our long term option.He is a young player gradually growing with the demands of the NRL and will develop further as time goes by.Worth keeping for a further term but at acceptable money.

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
Rein is our long term option.He is a young player gradually growing with the demands of the NRL and will develop further as time goes by.Worth keeping for a further term but at acceptable money.

The term acceptable money...

What would be acceptable for Rein he is already on good coin and im
sure his services will be in high demand .
Maybe the dragons could find a substitute rake in English league if we
cant retain him

giboz71

First Grade
The term acceptable money...

What would be acceptable for Rein he is already on good coin and im
sure his services will be in high demand .
Maybe the dragons could find a substitute rake in English league if we
cant retain him

Like it or not, hooker is a key spine position, so it demands decent coin. We're likely going to need to put up a decent offer to keep him.

Whilst he's not an elite hooker, he's likely going to attract interest from one of the lesser clubs - the Knights and Titans come to mind.

duck

Juniors
The Mitch Rein debate continues. And so it should.

Such a vital position and I believe he just doesn't cut it. Yeah yeah he's occasionally dangerous out of dummy half and he tackles and tackles and then tackles. But his passing from dh simply isn't up to fg standard. Let's face it. This is his primary job.

We've recruited well. Mongrel and size up front. Speed and options in the backline. Depth all round and a very good coach. (OV, you can quote that and scoff at it if you so desire)
But I look at our roster and see Rein as the weak point IF he is our 9.
Last season he played a major roll in stifling our go forward. Too many times one of our big guys would be taking a hit up only to have to check his run to reach behind himself to catch the ball, or even collect it up around his earhole. Too many times his passes missed everybody and bounced pathetically along the ground. This isn't acceptable.
I remember the Canberra game in Rd3. He was having a career worst game until, ironically, his runaway try turned our season around.
What are the alternatives? I hope Havilli steps up. Maybe Rein 10 minutes a half off the bench?
I'd be happy to be proven wrong. He is a gutsy little player but unfortunately not enough smarts. If Rein is the future then I'm going to go through a lot of TVs.

giboz71

First Grade
The Mitch Rein debate continues. And so it should.

Such a vital position and I believe he just doesn't cut it. Yeah yeah he's occasionally dangerous out of dummy half and he tackles and tackles and then tackles. But his passing from dh simply isn't up to fg standard. Let's face it. This is his primary job.

We've recruited well. Mongrel and size up front. Speed and options in the backline. Depth all round and a very good coach. (OV, you can quote that and scoff at it if you so desire)
But I look at our roster and see Rein as the weak point IF he is our 9.
Last season he played a major roll in stifling our go forward. Too many times one of our big guys would be taking a hit up only to have to check his run to reach behind himself to catch the ball, or even collect it up around his earhole. Too many times his passes missed everybody and bounced pathetically along the ground. This isn't acceptable.
I remember the Canberra game in Rd3. He was having a career worst game until, ironically, his runaway try turned our season around.
What are the alternatives? I hope Havilli steps up. Maybe Rein 10 minutes a half off the bench?
I'd be happy to be proven wrong. He is a gutsy little player but unfortunately not enough smarts. If Rein is the future then I'm going to go through a lot of TVs.

Agree with all of that, but again what are the alternatives?

Clearly, the club is hoping for better at hooker hence the interest in Farah but unless we're getting a top 5 hooker, why bother?

We were after McInness at the beginning of last year and glad we didn't get him because at best, he'd be only be a slight upgrade on Rein if at all.

Agree he's probably the weak link in our spine but keep in mind the Cows won the comp with Granville who until last year was a complete unknown. And with more size in the forwards, new formation in the backs and Demetriou running the attack (hopefully modelled like the Cowboys), hopefully this will impact positively on Rein's game.

BennyV

Referee
Agree with all of that, but again what are the alternatives?

Clearly, the club is hoping for better at hooker hence the interest in Farah but unless we're getting a top 5 hooker, why bother?

We were after McInness at the beginning of last year and glad we didn't get him because at best, he'd be only be a slight upgrade on Rein if at all.

Agree he's probably the weak link in our spine but keep in mind the Cows won the comp with Granville who until last year was a complete unknown. And with more size in the forwards, new formation in the backs and Demetriou running the attack (hopefully modelled like the Cowboys), hopefully this will impact positively on Rein's game.

Rein improved last year, and if he continues that trajectory we should look at keeping him, but not on any sort of upgraded contract. There are plenty of hookers on the same level as him, including some that arent getting a decent run at other clubs, kids like Cherrington and Korisau. If Rein wants marquee money, he can look elsewhere. I like to keep him if he improves his passing game and continues the upskilling in his kicking game, but I'd hate to get into a bidding war with anyone for him, its not worth it.