What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

I dont see the Foran comparison at all MattyG, apart from them both being Kiwis.

Strikes me as more of a Thomas Leuluai potentially. Don't get too excited guys, he's not the answer to our prayers. It's a very different game over here. We're low on options in the halves so he'll be handy. That's the most I expect atm.

Godz I think you're right. If we've got him as a cheap utility for eighteen months he can help us scrap our way out of the spoon zone. But if we're paying him a big chunk of our cap space for three years because he's an "international" .... uh oh. Let's not forget the last time we ended up with "the best half in the ESL". It was Willie Peters.

Todd Carney is a dick and he's expensive but he's the best half on the market. I'd rather pass on Rangi Chase this year if he ties up money in 2014 that we could be spending on Carney.

The Cobra

Juniors
I know ESL is not NRL,but have alook on Youtube at Tribute to Rangi Chase.Check out his form with us before he went,can't understand why we let him go in the first place.Come home Rangi & come home soon.

Mr Red

First Grade
so if we have to pay some sort of compensation or transfer fee i am assuming that would count against our salary cap for this season?

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ten-to-aussie-offers-for-chase-gill-1-5578662

Former Man of Steel Rangi Chase’s future at Castleford Tigers is back in doubt after new chief executive Steve Gill confirmed that the club will listen to offers for the England international.
Chase is under contract until the end of 2015, but Tigers made it clear last year that they were prepared to offload him to cut their wage bill,
Super League rivals Hull and Australian club St George-Illawarra both came close to signing the New Zealand-born ball player, but he pledged himself to Tigers after those moves fell through.
Now clubs from Australia’s elite NRL are understood to have renewed their interest.
Gill said Tigers – who turned down an approach from Salford City Reds earlier this season – are unwilling to let Chase go to one of their Super League rivals, but a lucrative offer from Down Under could be considered.
“If a club came with the right money for Rangi Chase, we’d be a fool not to listen,” he said.
Asked if anything was imminent, Gill added: “We can’t say at this moment in time.
“We have got emails flying right, left and centre. We have to consider every option.”
Gill – whose temporary role was made permanent last weekend – said Tigers are unlikely to pursue the Australian forward that previous coach Ian Millward was keen to sign before he was sacked this week.
“It was in its infancy,” said Gill. “There’s a lot of things to take into consideration.
“I am really concerned if we bring a new coach in and he’s not the right player for him.
“He was a back-rower type of player and I think we’ve got a lot of quality in the back-row. Do we really need to bring someone in to freshen it up?
“We’ve just brought Ryan Boyle in to give us that and he went really well last weekend. The money is there, but I think chief executive officers can make too many rash decisions in terms of bringing players in just for the sake of bringing them in.
“If the coach in question wants to bring a player in, then we’ll listen. I don’t want anyone saying ‘it’s not my team’. We’ll sit down and discuss it together.”
Meanwhile, Gill revealed the decision to axe Millward was made last Sunday morning and assistant-coach Danny Orr was asked to take caretaker-charge the following day.
Gill has already had “six or seven” applications, from prospective coaches and there are no plans for Orr to be in charge until the end of the year.
“There’s always possibilities, but that’s not something we envisage at this moment in time,” said Gill, who favours bringing in an English team boss.
Orr has made it clear he does not feel ready to take on the head coaching role on a permanent basis and Gill respects that.
“Danny is a great club man and well respected in the game,” he said. “We have to look after Danny, because he could be one of the next top Super League coaches.”

Mr Red

First Grade
more on Chase and his turn around and improved discipline

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-alcohol-will-lift-my-game-to-next-level.html
RANGI CHASE believes ditching the drink will lift his game to a higher level after learning a painful lesson.

The Castleford star was suspended in June after visiting a nightclub the day before a match — a breach of club rules on alcohol.
It almost wrecked his Tigers career as he sat out three weeks for his boozy sins.
But it proved a wake-up call and the England international has not touched a drop since that night.
Kiwi-born Chase is ready to show he is high and dry by guiding Cas to the play-offs.
He said: “I plan never to drink again. I grew up having problems with drink. It’s always got me into trouble so I had to grow up a bit.
“I’m kind of glad it all happened because it was what I needed — a reality check.
“I’m the type of person who needs to learn from my mistakes and I have. Things hit home then. This is the fittest I’ve been since I came to Castleford. I’m mentally fresh as well and ready to go.”
Chase now has one of his biggest influences with him after Castleford signed his cousin Weller Hauraki from Leeds.
They are like brothers after Hauraki’s family took in Chase during his troubled childhood.
Chase, 26, said: “Weller’s a big influence. He keeps my feet on the ground. If I do something wrong, he will tell me.”

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well they say it is the root to all evil. Silly old saying, but for some people it rings true.

If he can stay off the piss, then I say welcome aboard.

BradMackay

Juniors
Saints are scrapping the bottom of the barrel getting back Chase if it is true. If he was so good why haven't other struggling clubs sought him out like Penrith, Warriors etc. Not many players returning from the ESL make a difference. Can't see Soward staying if Chase is joining Saints. 2 cents

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
He's had a tough life. So many in here are bleeding hearts for people like him - but don't let him play at MY club, because he is trouble.

Please.

tumbidragon

First Grade
I'm all for him coming back HOME. I believe the gap between the ESL and the NRL has closed significantly over the past 5-6 years and their comp isn't given enough credit. He is the English half and was the man of steel recipient (Dally M) of 2011. We could do a lot worse than Rangi IMO. No nonsense clauses in his contract though.

nrlnrl

First Grade
He's had a tough life. So many in here are bleeding hearts for people like him - but don't let him play at MY club, because he is trouble.

Please.
Yep & I think there's no need for him at the club. I'd rather we keep ( younger ) players we currently have.

Lethal25

Juniors
You sign Rangi to play footy not to be a model citizen, honestly I think too many people are worried about what footballers do in their spare time.

Sorry Ronnie but it's OUR club and if Rangi plays consistent good footy with Saints then I'll be a happy bloke

saint.nick

Coach
You sign Rangi to play footy not to be a model citizen, honestly I think too many people are worried about what footballers do in their spare time.

Sorry Ronnie but it's OUR club and if Rangi plays consistent good footy with Saints then I'll be a happy bloke

This. We are expecting our footballers to be the custodians of optimum global citizenship, along par with the likes of gandhi and nelson mandela.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Mate, you misread me. I agree with you for the exact same reasons you outlined.