What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullo could be out for 4 months - no surgery required

Serc

First Grade
I think we'll do ok with Dobson...not sure if this has been posted in here before but here's his highlights from the ESL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-78lv5bj4

Is a lefty like Mullo (left arm carry, left footer etc), and seems to get the ball to the right person at the right time, will probably fit the sort of structure that we play pretty well, and the individual brilliance can be left up to Boyd and Roberts (he doesn't seem to do that so much). Bit of a traditional halfback in terms of being the chief organiser.

Fingers crossed he'll be a pretty handy backup - anyone know what his defence is like?

Dobbo is a lot stronger and faster than some may think at first and he very much plays at the line. Whether that is due to the ESL's fast ruck rules i am not certain. No Luke Walsh stand and pass crap though. He also is pretty decent with the boot. Am actually surprised he was not brought back to the NRL sooner. I doubt many other sides have a back up half with his experience and quality combined. I would have him as the utility on Mullo's return.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Lol. Beau can't make all his tackles. He'll be found out pretty quickly on our try line if he's not up to scratch. That's where Mullo is irreplaceable. The bloke is an absolute rock in defence.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Dobson was moved on from Canberra for the same reasons Dureau was moved on from the Knights. He was a speed bump in defence and never looked like improving

Did any of you watch the Goannas trial or the 9s? He hasnt improved that area much at all, do not be fooled by those ESL highlights

Serc

First Grade
There we go, its funny though, he did remind me a bit of Dureau in the highlights (not that this is a bad thing in attack)

Anyway I'm pretty sure Dobson didn't get a lot of gametime in the 9's so I can't comment much there (I remember seeing HEAPS of Mullo and Roberts though). Oh well see how we go, could be a lot worse though, we could be back in the good old days and running out backup halves like Steve Witt :)

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I was listening to the radio yesterday and Adam Macdougall was getting interviewed. Doogs came up with something that was a bit left field, but it also has the ability to work.

They asked him if Gidley will be spending time at 5/8 whilst Mullo is out. Doogs said he hoped not as Gidley has been given a lot of opportunities in the halves and he hasn't really impressed. He then suggested that Gidley's best position is fullback and that he should move there whilst shifting Boyd to 5/8.

Personally I'd rather 1. Boyd 6. Dobson 7. Roberts 9. Gildey. However I can see his side of things. If Gidley went to fullback then he could chime in at times and play that rover role where he is fullback in defense and hooker in attack. Plus Boyd may well end his career as a 5/8 anyway.

Jono078

Referee
I was listening to the radio yesterday and Adam Macdougall was getting interviewed. Doogs came up with something that was a bit left field, but it also has the ability to work.

They asked him if Gidley will be spending time at 5/8 whilst Mullo is out. Doogs said he hoped not as Gidley has been given a lot of opportunities in the halves and he hasn't really impressed. He then suggested that Gidley's best position is fullback and that he should move there whilst shifting Boyd to 5/8.

Personally I'd rather 1. Boyd 6. Dobson 7. Roberts 9. Gildey. However I can see his side of things. If Gidley went to fullback then he could chime in at times and play that rover role where he is fullback in defense and hooker in attack. Plus Boyd may well end his career as a 5/8 anyway.
Not bad, but will really throw things out of whack when Mullen returns. And a bit late in the pre-season to make such a big change like that IMO.

Boyd at 6 has always intrigued me and I wonder if we will see a bit of it tonight in Tamworth. He could easily make it there IMO.

ryana87

Juniors
1. Gagai
2. Uate
3. Mamo
4. Bj
5. Mcmanus
6. Boyd
7. Roberts
8. Snowden
9. Gidley

1. Gidley
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Bj
5. Mcmanus
6. Boyd
7. Roberts
8. Snowden
9. Waddell

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Bj
5. Mcmanus
6. Gidley
7. Roberts
8. Snowden
9. Dobson

Are these our options for rd1?

Frederick

Staff member
If they're our only options then I would pick number 1. Not sure how Mamo goes in the centres though

Frederick

Staff member
No surgery for Mullen

Mon, Feb 24, 2014 - 12:29 PM
Newcastle Knights five-eighth Jarrod Mullen welcomed some good news after seeing a surgeon on Monday in Sydney.

The surgeon was able to confirm a partial avulsion of his hamstring, which means Mullen won’t require surgery.

“This is a much better outcome than what we anticipated following the initial scan results last week,” Performance Director Jeremy Hickmans said.

“The surgeon was able to look at the scan today and confirmed it was a partial tear.

“That means no surgery but a conservative rehabilitation program.”

In other injury news, Adam Clydsdale (knee) and Zane Tetevano (hand) are scheduled for scans on Monday.

Mullen is expected to be sidelined for 12-16 weeks.
LINK
No surgery yay! So knowing mullo's track record we might see him round 1 yet haha

Joker's Wild

Coach
12-16 weeks is hugely conservative for a "partial tear"

I think it will be more like 4-6 weeks based on nothing more than my own personal experience with hamstring tears and Mullos Wolverine like healing abilities

In other injury news, Adam Clydsdale (knee), Zane Tetevano (hand) and Clint Newton (bicep) are scheduled for scans on Monday.

24b701t.jpg

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
If they go with the Boyd and Gagai move to 5/8 and fullback respectively, the trial team had Pat Mata'utia playing centre for the 60 mins that Boyd and Gagai played in their respective positions. This would definitely be an indicator of one of the major options for centre if Gagai is moved.

Frederick

Staff member
Another option:

Minto
Uate
Gagai
Leilua
McManus
Boyd
Roberts
Snowden
Gidley

Rnb11 said that Minto was training at fullback and would be first choice behind Boyd, and he only didn't play on the weekend because he was injured

Latest posts