What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullo could be out for 4 months - no surgery required

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'd go with three months for Mullo rather than four because we all know about his healing abilities.

Boyd was reasonable without being a standout at five-eighth on Saturday and Gagai actually looked very good at the back. Pat (and Jimmy, BJ and Aku for that matter) didn't see much of the ball because it seemed like our game plan was to condense the field and play between the scrum lines. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Perhaps an indication of how we'll play until Mullo returns?

Dave_

Juniors
Can anyone see the possibility of a Dobson/Roberts halves pairing?

Definitely. I would've thought a Dobson/Roberts pairing would have been the least disruptive option. By moving Gidley or Boyd to 5/8 when they have trained all off season in other key positions creates more selection dramas. Someone then has to replace them and so on.

Is a situation like this not why we signed Dobson? He has experience and is a traditional half and I believe he would be a calming influence on Roberts and also take alot of the organisation pressure of him as well imo. However, I'm just a serial armchair coach and I'm sure the great Wayne Bennett will know what to do.

Zoidberg

First Grade
You're probably right, we will probably go with Dobson at 5/8. Hopefully he goes good an we don't have to worry about another option until Mullo comes back in.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Definitely. I would've thought a Dobson/Roberts pairing would have been the least disruptive option. By moving Gidley or Boyd to 5/8 when they have trained all off season in other key positions creates more selection dramas. Someone then has to replace them and so on.

Is a situation like this not why we signed Dobson? He has experience and is a traditional half and I believe he would be a calming influence on Roberts and also take alot of the organisation pressure of him as well imo. However, I'm just a serial armchair coach and I'm sure the great Wayne Bennett will know what to do.
Agreed. I think to shift other players around would strengthen some positions only to weaken others.

Swarzey

Bench
Mullen hopeful of early return

Newcastle Knights five-eighth Jarrod Mullen remains hopeful of making an early return from his hamstring injury.

Mullen, who tore his left hamstring at the recent Auckland Nines tournament, is expected to be sidelined for to 12-16 weeks.

But after completing a light run on Friday morning, the Club's key playmaker is looking to return to the field ahead of time.

"It’s good news with no surgery, so that obviously cuts a few weeks off," Mullen said at the Knights' official season launch on Friday.

"The surgeon and everyone here is trying to get me to the 12 weeks.

"But I’m sort of looking at the six to eight week mark, but we’ll have to wait and see.

"Eight weeks in probably the minimum, but as I’m feeling now I feel like I’m a couple of weeks ahead of schedule.

"I went for a bit of a jog today, obviously not striding out because it’s still detached down there and I’ve got to give it a bit of time to reattach itself and let the scars heal."

Mullen admits he is extremely disappointed to miss the start of the 2014 season, but he is remaining positive ahead of the long rehabilitation process.

"It’s frustrating, obviously doing a whole pre-season of work and then also playing in the Nines which was such a great concept," he says.

"And to miss the start of the season is disappointing as well, but injuries are a part of the game and it’s the way you come back from them."

As much as the Club will miss Mullen's ability on the field, the man himself has no doubts the team can survive in his absence.

He even endorsed new recruit Michael Dobson as a player more than capable of stepping up.

"It’s definitely not a one-man team," he insists.

"We’ve got a lot of good players in different positions there

"I’m not sure who is going to play five-eighth, but there is someone like Dobson who is a left foot kicker.

"He has also played some big games overseas, so I’m sure he’ll do a good job.

"He has got all the skills and he has a great little kicking game on him and that’s what you need to put pressure on other teams.

"If he plays there, he’ll do a good job for us.”

As expected. Incredible.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
You're probably right, we will probably go with Dobson at 5/8. Hopefully he goes good an we don't have to worry about another option until Mullo comes back in.

Plus Dobson is a left foot kicker as well. I'd personally go with this has my starting team. I feel we really need gidley at hooker throughout 2014.

Rolla

Juniors
Just come back right, however long it takes. Hamstring injuries are a bit different to some others, Mullo is tough but this one isn't a pain barrier thing, if he pushes it it will likely tear again.

Agree though, there is something super human about the guy. If anyone can do it he can - Just don't want him to end up like hodges, scared to really stride out.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If he is back in 6-8 weeks there is no doubt in my mind that he is Jesus.

I'd go even further. Mullo's even more impressive than Jesus as there is actual evidence that he exists outside of one book which also refers to talking snakes, unicorns and dragons :p

Rolla makes the very good point about hamstring injuries. Some players end up with chronic hamstring problems if they don't look after themselves correctly. I'd rather he gives himself another week or 2 after it's deemed healed, rather than risking re-injuring it. One of Mullen's best attributes is his speed. I'd hate for that to be jeopardised.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
Any news on Mullos contract?

I would have thought he was top of the list but there has been zero news around this.

Swarzey

Bench
The club did want to sign him to a long-term deal last year. We should be throwing everything we have to keep him, he's too important to the club to let go. We can't have the mentality the Bulldogs do atm think he's replaceable.

I'm confident he'll resign. It's just something we have to wait for.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I am sure Qld must mock NSW for not selecting Mullo. The one man with a kicking game to put their lights out.
If he had a famous Dad , sucked the right dick and played for a high profile club I have no doubt he would more than just be selected..... the media would preempt his selection as the next immortal. QLD must be laughing

perverse

Referee
This freak could be back next week.

Who's excited? I know I am. He and Boyd returning a week or 2 apart could be a genuine catalyst for us to jump-start our season... if our forwards can stand up like they did this week on a regular basis, anyway.

We haven't been too horrible without them, just not quite good enough. Seeing Boyd's immediate impact on the team has encouraged me a lot. It's pretty clear who the players consider to be the real leaders of this team, and the names don't end in "idley".

It's a shame that we can't just give the captaincy to Mullo. He's ready for it, I thought he absolutely blossomed with the added responsibility last year. Could still be our captain for another 5-6 years at least.

Last edited:

Latest posts