What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

Do you agree with Warren Ryan's comments about Nathan Brown?

• No, Browny's doing fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, we need a decent coach.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Biglance

Bench
why dont u f**kers grow the f**k up just cause we loose one game after what is a pretty good season u guys all want f**ken heads on the chopping board im sick of hearing all ur bullshit. we praised browny 4 months ago now ur bagging him. grow up thank the bloke its a tought job and stopping sitting at home tugging off over your little comments that will get you no where. pull your heads in. you know what im going to do, im not going to have a whinge and send an email or letter to the club asking for browns resignation or doust's im gonna train my guts and arse off in the next 4 weeks to make sg ball for the dragons so i can proove my worth as a second rower and shut u f**kers up wen i hold up that nrl premiership trophy and brown's the coach and doust claps from the sidline. then what will u be saying. onya browny keep it up its a tough world.

izzo

Juniors
Biglance said:
why dont u f*** grow the f**k up just cause we loose one game after what is a pretty good season u guys all want f***en heads on the chopping board im sick of hearing all ur bullsh*t. we praised browny 4 months ago now ur bagging him. grow up thank the bloke its a tought job and stopping sitting at home tugging off over your little comments that will get you no where. pull your heads in. you know what im going to do, im not going to have a whinge and send an email or letter to the club asking for browns resignation or doust's im gonna train my guts and arse off in the next 4 weeks to make sg ball for the dragons so i can proove my worth as a second rower and shut u f*** up wen i hold up that nrl premiership trophy and brown's the coach and doust claps from the sidline. then what will u be saying. onya browny keep it up its a tough world.

FIRE UP FIRE UP FIRE UP BIG LANCE OATH!!!!!

Biglance

Bench
no im being serious i have my reference ready from biss to show them for sg ball at least im having a go

izzo

Juniors
Biglance said:
no im being serious i have my reference ready from biss to show them for sg ball at least im having a go

yer oath im going to the souths ones in 2 weeks

FIRE UP FIRE UP FIRE UP

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Steel-Dragon

Juniors
Brown is a SH@*! coach.. If he wasn't a "St George Boy" he would be out on his arse.
Last year they didn't make the Finals and this year they chocked and let the Penny Panthers run all over they instead of being fired up.
And puttimg Timmins in the Centres what a joke..! :evil:

Ribs

Bench
Steel moron.

We were what, 3rd in the points scored and 2nd in the points against. Sh*t coach my arse. Take out Barrett and we win, the bloke is a plank.

It was always going to take a couple of years to undo the rubbish that Farrar created.

The problem Nathan has had is that he hasn't been able to put his best side on the paddock for a period of time. Bailey and Ryles have hardly played together. When Ryles came back Bailey went out. Gasnier and Cooper have been out at somestages. Trent is out every now and again. Thompson etc etc. I agree with Warren Ryan that Brown is growing with his team rather than teaching them but he got better this year. I like Browny (he's a hard bloke not to like actually) all Saints need is a year where they have a full strength side. They have unearthed a couple of young kids this season in Sims, Poore. Browny was out thought by Lang on Friday night but again that is part of Nathan's learning curve. The team is still relatively young and he has improved this year on last. In saying all that Saints really need to win a premiership within the next 3 years or the club will look back on it as a wasted opportunity.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Where the problem with Brown lies, IMO, is that he is lacking in two key areas that a First Grade coach must excell in to be successful.

Firstly, I don't think he has the proper respect of the players. When an Easts player f**ks up, you can bet he is absolutely shitting himself at what Ricky is going to say to him at half-time or how badly he's going to get flogged on the training paddock. But you sense with Brown & the Dragons that any mistakes are just things to be laughed at between putting bets on at Northies. The players don't respect him properley - in any way other than being "mates" - and it shows in Brown's inability to motivate them.

Secondly, I think Brown doesn't have the tactical nous of even a Brian Smith & has been saved by the natural talents of the squad on a number of occasions. Just looking at 5th tackle options & the failure of the team to adapt to conditions (see Brisbane @ WIN) as examples.

Improve these two aspects & Saints fans might have some reason to cheer.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
I disagree with that Ben. My understanding is that Brown has no problem telling players where they're f**king up. The story about him being buddies with the players had some cred last year but a lot of things have changed since then.
If you're looking someone who is too matey with the players, I suggest you go further upstream.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow said:
I disagree with that Ben. My understanding is that Brown has no problem telling players where they're f***ing up. The story about him being buddies with the players had some cred last year but a lot of things have changed since then.
If you're looking someone who is too matey with the players, I suggest you go further upstream.

I've seen different this year. But if it's imporving then it's only a good thing.

The running joke in The Army is that his half-time talk is "Awww, c'mon fellas"...

"further upstream", eh?? LOL ;-)

Cheers,
Ben S.

borat

Bench
I think Brown is doing a good job and we are definately a better team now than what we were before. I think he makes mistakes like everyone but on a whole he is doing a good job. Next year will be a good test for him to see if we can improve.

I think he stuffed up with his starting selection last week though. I don't think the semis was the best of times to give Creagh a spot in the starting team. We had carlaw not even playing and he was in the grand final 2 years prior.

Am I right in saying that 5th is the highest we have ever finished as a JV and you go back to 93 to better it when we finished 2nd as St George? If I'm wrong can someone tell me when we finished higher.

If thats true then he can't be doing to bad a job, highest end of year finish in 11 years.

Southernsaint said:
Secondly, I think Brown doesn't have the tactical nous of even a Brian Smith & has been saved by the natural talents of the squad on a number of occasions. Just looking at 5th tackle options & the failure of the team to adapt to conditions (see Brisbane @ WIN) as examples.

That's absolutely right.

And if Browny was coaching, say Souths, he would of ended up just like Paul Langmack. I'm worried that this group of players will never reach their true potential and in a couple of seasons we'll be looking back at a great window of oportunity that was never fully realised.

Someone mentioned the Broncos, and how they have a lesser group of players (on paper) to us. It comes down to their coach, who has them perfectly drilled and prepared for everything.

Just take the example Ben gave above. In contrast to our pathetic preparation and tatics for the wet, Bennett's men played the exact style of football they needed to comfortably win the match.

Look at the other top teams, and notice the high calibre of their leaders:
Roosters = Stuart (imagine letting him down! :oops: )
Bulldogs = Folkes
Broncos = Bennett
Panthers = Lang
Storm = Bellamy (an example of someone learning the trade under a top league mind in Bennett)

The decision to throw Browny the reigns so soon has not only hampered the team, as he is only learning with a team which is possibly almost at it's peak of potential (which needs to be drilled, directed, and harnessed immediately), but it is very unfair on him. Someone said to me the other day that it should of been Mick Potter as coach with Browny as he's deputy.

He probably has the potential to be a great coach but by throwing him in the deep end so soon he may never have the chance to properly develop and achieve his true potential (much like the team itself).

DevilDragon

Juniors
[quote
Look at the other top teams, and notice the high calibre of their leaders:
Roosters = Stuart (imagine letting him down! :oops: )
Bulldogs = Folkes
Broncos = Bennett
Panthers = Lang
Storm = Bellamy (an example of someone learning the trade under a top league mind in Bennett)

The decision to throw Browny the reigns so soon has not only hampered the team, as he is only learning with a team which is possibly almost at it's peak of potential (which needs to be drilled, directed, and harnessed immediately), but it is very unfair on him. Someone said to me the other day that it should of been Mick Potter as coach with Browny as he's deputy.

He probably has the potential to be a great coach but by throwing him in the deep end so soon he may never have the chance to properly develop and achieve his true potential (much like the team itself).[/quote]

I think Stuart is a fair yardstick to use. He managed success in his first year as coach though we all detected the sickly scent of Phil Gould. This is all well and good though Stuart could also have found his team eliminated in the first round of the finals. Would the Roosters fans be baying for blood?

I for one see a huge attitude difference in the past two seasons since Brownie has taken over. It's unfair to judge a coaches perfrormance simply because we were unfortunate to lose a game by 1 f*****g point. Hindsight is a great thing though and remember if Barret had double pumped that pass Campbell would not have the intercept and Sims was as good as in. Guess what then? We would be one win away from the GF. What would be the call on Brown then?

Please never ever again mention Andrew Farrar.

Ribs

Bench
Brown has been doing a fine job and every image of Brown that Ive seen in the dressing room at half time doesnt reflect what you say.

He is a very emotional coach and Ill use the Parra game as an example of his ability to motivate players.

If you want to lay blame, and it seems you do, look no further than Timmins and Barrett.

Two of our most capped and senior players and both have been playing absolute rubbish.

Its not Browns fault Timmins cant pass and keeps coming out of the line and its not Browns fault Barrett cant do anything right.

Ribs said:
Its not Browns fault Timmins cant pass and keeps coming out of the line and its not Browns fault Barrett cant do anything right.

It was Brown who put Timmins out of position in the centres.

Barrett plays crap with us because of a lack of team game plan and our pathetic no-depth in attack. Look at how well he goes in origin because you don't see NSW standing bunched together, no direction, no plan, no idea.

The coach needs to drill this team into the well oiled machine it should be.

Ribs

Bench
Out of position in the centres? Are you kidding? Did you start watching rugby league this year or last year?

He has played more than enough in the centres and it doesnt matter what position you are in, if you charge out of the line and take nobody, you screw your team mates.

He did the same against the Broncos when he tried to shoulder charge webke and in doing so bumped him over for a try.

So Barrett cant play because of the game plan? Classic. If the game plan Brown came up with included throwing passses to the opposition, missing one on one tackles and never passing outside then you are absolutely correct I suppose.......

Latest posts