What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler withdraws Knights offer

Alex28

Coach
He won't really be getting it for 'free'. He is going to clear the 2 or 3 mil debt to start with.
The club is in an asset positive position. There is no debt...

Accumulated losses are vastly different from actual losses. Pretty sure Nathan and Ken know this too.

Alex28

Coach
Half a million to Tinkler - the rest is on the balance sheet as debts pending - which basically means we have already spent the income we expect to get for the season, and if anyone asks, the cheques in the mail.
The vast amount of the liabilities are membership and season ticket fees collected in advance. We don't owe that money to anybody, and they aren't debts - just accounting wise we aren't actually entitled to it yet.

The clubs actual debts are pretty minor really.

aqua_duck

Coach
This bit concerns me. While I don't have a problem with local juniors playing for the Knights, they've got to be at least quality players. All these blokes he's looking at weren't anything special when we let them go in the first place (ie Bird, Snowden).

Bird and Snowden were both outstanding juniors, both were Australian schoolboys and stars in lower grade. Bird left at 17 but at the time was our best junior, Snowden was still a work in progress at the time but everyone knows props take alot longer to mature. I'd welcome Snowden back at the right price, don't think we need Bird but as long as we're not going after guys like Tighe, Dureau, Lowrie and Riley Brown I won't be too pissed off

Tinkler is obviously on a mission to reverse the Smith clean out. Does anyone know is Bird is interested in a return? The TLL thing will probably be off now you would think if Tinkler is consistent in signing Newcastle juniors. Aqua I don't think any of the guys you mentioned in that last sentence will get alook in. Tinks wants the marquees only i would think as the core and pad the squad out with the Ethan Cooke's of the world. I would imagine De Gois and the other off contract players who are not quality newcastle juniors will most likely be on their way to other clubs.

Serc

First Grade
Tinks wants the marquees only i would think as the core and pad the squad out with the Ethan Cooke's of the world.

As long as you are speaking of Cook as an example of up and coming juniors then thats fine :) as if he plays to his potential he will be doing a bit more than padding out the squad! Toyota Cup Lock of the Year 2010 remember :D

I would imagine De Gois and the other off contract players who are not quality newcastle juniors will most likely be on their way to other clubs.

I would like to hope that any player on our current roster who is quality (eg: De Gois, who I think is going to play much more like he did in 2009 this year) isn't going to just get dumped because they're not a 'local'. They are one of our own now! If Tinkler does end up buying the club, I hope he looks at the backgrounds of the players in our roster in the 1988-1993 era (pre-Joey), and realise it wasn't a team full of locals!

Last edited:
Yes Serc I believe Cooke has rep written all over him. De Gois won't stick around if we go after ennis as has been suggested. I am with you though on De Gois. I think Isaac is a better player.

Alex28

Coach
Snowden and Idris makes sense. Ennis screams of buying back the farm no matter what stock we already have. It makes no sense.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I really hope he has been watching some knights games in the last few years and seen how good some of Smiths imports are. Players like Taia, De Gois, Hilder, Houston and Fa'aoso, I would hate to see let go.

I would love to see Tinkler try and lure Vuna back to the club after his contract ends with the Rebels as well.

Serc

First Grade
I think perverse (#1 supporter!) and I would personally storm TSG HQ if they cut Taia, lol

perverse

Referee
i would firebomb all his sh*t if he sacked Taia... and kill his first born. and put a gypsy curse on his c**k.

perverse

Referee
yeah, i'll be pissed if we exit De gois in favour of Ennis... but not as pissed as i would be if we got rid of Taia. Taia gives way more than he would command on the open market. i get the feeling, if given the chance, he'll be a great clubman for us for years yet.

Serc

First Grade
i would firebomb all his sh*t if he sacked Taia... and kill his first born. and put a gypsy curse on his c**k.

Patinack Farm. more like Patinack Inferno.

:lol:

There we go, on cue! Good stuff

But seriously, you would think they'd keep our best players regardless of where they have come from...otherwise we'd have a certain 2007 stench about the team, with a number of overpaid locals who aren't quite up to scratch, given their salary.

perverse

Referee
yes, it would be an instant return to the bad old days... and make all the pain and bullsh*t we went through with the Brian Smith sagas pretty much redundant.

additionally - my main concern with getting Tinkler, given all of the push and shove thus far, is that he'll come in feeling he's bigger than the NRL and start rorting the cap and sh*t. you can't just run around throwing money everywhere, it's not the way this works. there will be some more opportunity for 3rd parties - potentially - but it really shouldn't be the holy grail of recruitment that everyone thinks it is, as far as the amount of spend on players we have is concerned.

ignorant people just blab about 3rd party agreements like they are just this absolute free for all. there's more to it than that, and if the club (and that includes Tinkler, if he owns us, obviously) is guarenteeing income it still comes under the cap.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade

I think most of us would. I'd be pissed as all hell if he gets rid De Gois (which unfortunately looks likely), but I'd suffocate him with his own fat rolls if he asked Zeb to leave.

I just hope other Knight's members feel the same. I mean most of us have an unhealthy man-crush on Taia, but other supporters may see him as just another Poly...that we apparently have too many of. :roll:

I still want Tinkler to take over, but only under the right terms. This whole hissy fit he's thrown has left a terrible taste in my mouth. The club did the right thing calling him out...which is highlighted by the fact that he's come back with another offer only days after he's said he was out.

Alex28

Coach
ignorant people just blab about 3rd party agreements like they are just this absolute free for all. there's more to it than that, and if the club (and that includes Tinkler, if he owns us, obviously) is guarenteeing income it still comes under the cap.
Unfortunately him confirming that he rang Kade and talked money will mean an Inglis-like situation for us. It would all have to count under the cap and it will probably mean we won't be able to afford him now...